Pros & cons of towing boat with 1800? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Pros & cons of towing boat with 1800?

Shopping around for a trailer to stow gear and found they all come in at least about 200/350 lbs and cost $thousands$ and dont store that much; so came up with this approach. why not tow a boat? Bought brand new aluminum jetski trailer, brand new Honda 3.2 outboard motor and a used Sears 12' rowboat. Tossed a 120 gallon storage box in boat for gear and covered all with boat cover. Total weight before adding fishing & camping gear under 275 lbs: cost under $2,000. Since the Wing is outfitted with a Towpac with a 5 ft wheelbase I feel pretty safe underway but have to allow more space between car ahead of me. Gave it a go on the interstate & it towed AOK @ 65mph. Dont know how this is going to work out on a boat ramp with only one drive wheel, so made up portable wheels so i can roll it into the water. What Say You?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wing & boat 005.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	42534  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

On the one hand, you get props for being very original.

On the other, I've done a lot of boat towing (behind my truck) and have found that boats don't pull that great as they are pretty high off the ground and the covers are horrible about catching wind and crosswinds.

I think pulling that in a heavy crosswind would be very difficult and not a lot of fun. If you were only going short distances or lower speeds, you'd probably be fine, but I wouldn't take off cross country pulling one.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Track)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

I would suppose as long as the weight were kept in check, (with all that room, it would be easy to overload), I think it works with a trike. I don't think I would try it with a two-wheeler, although I pulled a log splitter once, (not very far).

KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
2000 Champion Colorado trailer
1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

I would also be leery of high speed long trips; no real concern about lower speed short trips. Maybe smaller cooler just bunged/ tied in boat without the "wrapping". Otoh, it may work great. I'd be cautious until I had some towing miles behind me.

DS #343
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Pros: None.
Cons: You might get yourself killed.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM
CJS
Seasoned Member

Garage
Don't see why not.
Just watch the weight distribution and keep 15-25% on the tongue.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Fouquette View Post
But other than that, do you anything wrong?

Glen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
2008 Tailwind trailer
IBA #33072
Darksider #163
Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Fouquette View Post
Funny...that's pretty much what my Dad says about riding motorcycles at all.

I realize the OP asked for our opinions so I don't think your's is out of line at all, but Im also glad we live in a country where we can weigh the pro's and con's ourselves and make our own decisions.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Track)
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1800 View Post
Shopping around for a trailer to stow gear and found they all come in at least about 200/350 lbs and cost $thousands$ and dont store that much; so came up with this approach. why not tow a boat? Bought brand new aluminum jetski trailer, brand new Honda 3.2 outboard motor and a used Sears 12' rowboat. Tossed a 120 gallon storage box in boat for gear and covered all with boat cover. Total weight before adding fishing & camping gear under 275 lbs: cost under $2,000. Since the Wing is outfitted with a Towpac with a 5 ft wheelbase I feel pretty safe underway but have to allow more space between car ahead of me. Gave it a go on the interstate & it towed AOK @ 65mph. Dont know how this is going to work out on a boat ramp with only one drive wheel, so made up portable wheels so i can roll it into the water. What Say You?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerq68 View Post
I would suppose as long as the weight were kept in check, (with all that room, it would be easy to overload), I think it works with a trike. I don't think I would try it with a two-wheeler, although I pulled a log splitter once, (not very far).

I think it's really a four wheeler with a single wheel drive, the side wheels were added to the Wing leaving the Wing basically intact.

2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to rh.campbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1800 View Post
Sir, I can summarize this thread up in three words....DON'T DO IT !! I learned the hard way pulling a too large camping trailer behind a Wing can start oscillations with the trailer swinging from side to side. This WILL dump you on your keester.....guaranteed !! When the load is TOO large, balancing the tongue weight doesn't help....

Small trailer designed to tow behind a motorcycle work very well. I've done if across the continent several times. But they are weight balanced to the Wing.

A bloody boat is a sail behind you designed to catch a crosswind and dump you on your butt. Road rash hurts....

At the risk of repeating myself....DON'T DO IT...it isn't worth the risk (but every man to his own poison....)

There are only three things in life that are certain - death, taxes, and poorly thought out gun laws !
There are also three kinds of people in this world - those who make things happen; those who watch things happen, and those who don't have a clue what happened !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1148 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page