Pacific Coast Highway RIde - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Pacific Coast Highway RIde

I live in LA and am planning to take PCH North as far as I can with total of 14 days round trip. For those that have done this should I take same route round trip? where are some of the nice places you have stopped or stayed?Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, with 14 days, I am assuming you are going Hwy 1 all the way to Washington. Some of the best riding anywhere. You didn't mention if you were camping or staying in a motel. lots of state parks along the way but this is peak season, so they fill up fast. Motels can be pricey along the coast, but if you don't stay in Monterey of San Francisco, they are more reasonable. The best parts of the ride are between Morro bay and Monterey, which includes Big Sur. Then north of San Francisco on up. The entire coast of Oregon and Washington are fantastic. As far as round trip, if you have the time, why not. It beats that boring slab I-5.

KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
2000 Champion Colorado trailer
1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

When you say "as far as I can", do you mean as far as the road goes, or as far as time allows?

Like any road, there are a variety of changing vistas in both directions! If you have 14 days and plan to go to the CA/OR border, I'd suggest taking something like 9 days going up on Hwy 1 and 5 says coming back mostly on 101.
there are so many places where you can travel through the hills between 1 & 101, especially north of Bodega Bay. Hwy 128 & Hwy 20 (before 1 & 101 merge at Leggett) are beautiful. Take as much tike as you can in the Redwoods, watch the Tule Elk at Prairie Creek, eat at the Samoa Cookhouse north of Eureka, stop lots to soak in the mind-blowing beauty of Del Norte, enjoy the harbor at Crescent City (sometimes called The Tsunami Magnet).
Then, either continue up the Oregon Coast to Florence (as far as I've gone on 1/101) or begin the trek south, riding 299 to Weaverville or Shasta (and back the next day?)...

Dayum, the road is calling!

Keep in mind that, if you are planning on doing this before Labor Day, a good plan and reservations are strongly advised.

Enjoy!

B. Gross
IBA #57164
'02 GL1800ABS "Rose"
'03 FJR "Lucille"
'02 CBR1100XX "Roxanne"

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"Be Polite. Be Professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - General James N. Mattis, USMC

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." ~ Linji Yixuan

Darksider # 764
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP ~ "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
"Enjoy Every Sandwich." ~ Warren Zevon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm doing this same trip in 2ws --- in 5 days (1 way)

2012 Honda Goldwing Level 2 NAVI
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerq68 View Post
Well, with 14 days, I am assuming you are going Hwy 1 all the way to Washington. Some of the best riding anywhere. You didn't mention if you were camping or staying in a motel. lots of state parks along the way but this is peak season, so they fill up fast. Motels can be pricey along the coast, but if you don't stay in Monterey of San Francisco, they are more reasonable. The best parts of the ride are between Morro bay and Monterey, which includes Big Sur. Then north of San Francisco on up. The entire coast of Oregon and Washington are fantastic.
wrong
The highway goes all the way up to Lund BC
"Great Ride"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsailor View Post
wrong
The highway goes all the way up to Lund BC
"Great Ride"
Just taking his time frame into account. I could spent 14 days in Oregon alone. I agree with bgross, the Samoa cookhouse is not to be missed.

KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
2000 Champion Colorado trailer
1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
it is on my Bucket List. Hope you enjoy your trip.

2005 GL1800
USMC 1962 -1966
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Seasoned Member

14 days should allow you plenty of time for exploring sites and road recommendations. We've ridden North and South several times including all the way to Victoria, BC and the ferry ride to and from the mainland. It does not disappoint, the road between Fort Bragg and Leggitt is a must ride both ways, the lost coast portion of the California cost that you may have heard about is best left to adventure touring bikes so I suggest staying on 101 and perhaps making a side trip through some of the redwood sections around Garberville and Eureka. Don't have my map out but there are so many scenic roads that need to be explored in that area so make sure you follow the green dots whenever possible. Ride Safe and be prepared for cooler temperatures and foggy mornings followed by sunshine afternoon.

2004 GL1800
2004 Bushtec Quantum GL Sport
181,000 miles of smiles...all mine or ours!
MSF RiderCoach ID #134890

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat...if only it was that easy.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

if camping oregon has fantastic parks all up the coast - check out old towne - can see the seals at the dock n fishing village/ restaurants are great - also in tillamook is dairy / cheese factory n little north of them is smoke house for all there jerky- 2 ft stick for $1- state park sand dunes also - have a great trip

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

We went north on PCH from Thousand Oaks as far as Reedsport and then took 38 over to I-5 and north to Blaine. If we could have, we would have circled over to Bend, 97 down to Klamath, probably 39 over to 395 and gone down to Yosemite. Yosemite was the only thing in California we didn't get to see (that we wanted to see) and this route would have done it for us.

Having said that, a lot of folks talk about PCH being better southbound. In that case, I'd reverse the previous paragraph.

Short answer - why do both ways only on PCH when there are other good choices for great variety?

2008 Red GW1800
NRA Life Member
American Legion PUFL
American Legion Riders
GWRRA member
DS #1584
First and last - USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
http://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/ US Four Corner Ride[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://mid-states.blogspot.com/ 2014 Mid-States Ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page