How do you prepare / Endurance training for LD - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

How do you prepare / Endurance training for LD

I've got my first major LD trip on the Wing coming up next week - riding by myself from TX to CA, and then with my buddy from CA up the coast to WA, and then by myself from WA through CO to TX. To save time I will be taking highways when riding just by myself, although I will be spending 2-3 nights in CO (Aspen, Estes Park, Denver) and hit all the twisties and take it easy those days.

I have done four 400-500mi days last year in Oct on my first bike, a Vulcan 900 which was WAY less comfortable than the Wing, and heck I survived that. So I figure with the right mindset, proper preparation, endurance training beforehand, I can do this. Despite a lot of negative feedback and scare tactics from (some) friends & family.

How do you prepare for a LD trip like this? I appreciate any tips or suggestions y'all have, as here is what I have done / been doing to prepare.

The bike is equipped with an awesome F4+4 windshield, which I am able to see barely on top of. Airhawk R cushion. Kury ISO grips. Cowl fog lights. Kury luggage rack + Kury bag on top. And kury pegs. And I have Honda's custom fit bags that go into the trunk case and saddlebags. I also have a compressible thermarest pillow and cheap zebra pattern fleece I'll be toting in case I need a 15-20m nap somewhere and there's no Mickey D's around, etc to nap inside. I'll also have a $40 cooling vest. Dress wise, I'm wearing FF Shoei, Tourmaster Air Intake 3 jacket and Tourmaster Flex pants. And very comfortable ankle boots. Also will be wearing drifit shirts and LD Comfort shorts.

For endurance training, I have been riding 75 or 100-150mi daily to get used to the feel of "being on the road" for the last 4-5days. So that means I'm going up from Dallas up to Gunter or Sherman and back, to get up to 100mi. And then I'll ride again in the eve.

I've got a 70oz Camelbak that is amazing - really helps fight fatigue and gives me something to do to avoid drowsiness issues. Although I haven't been taking them now, I do plan to hit a 5hr energy shot in the mid a.m. and again in the mid p.m. once I'm on the road trip. Also I would (go easy on them) but will have caffeiene pills.

I quit drinking coffee (I hated not having a high-end coffee maker at home for the weekends) so I wouldn't get withdrawal headaches over the weekend. So taking caffeiene pills or 5hr energies will definitely have a kick for me, since I'm not used to caffeieine regularly any more.

I'll also create a thread just before I start my trip and then start blogging \ posting pics \ ride reports throughout the journey.

I'm looking for tips on how to "survive" and stay motivated and stay the course, once you're deep into the trip.

One little "tip" I just discovered today that I wanted to pass along \ share \ talk about is, using the Trip meter on the dash. I like setting it to Zero and then driving to 100 miles, and then getting off the bike, walk around, stretch etc., and resetting to 0. Sure, if there is an opportunity to "stand up" at the red light at 70 miles into the 100 miles, then yes, I'll take it. But the 100 number gives you something to shoot for, and feels like you're getting closer. It avoids the feeling half way through the day of "oh crap, I'm riding 500 miles today".

Thanks
Max

2012 Honda Goldwing Level 2 NAVI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Member

You didn't say how many miles you plan on doing each day. I find if I set goals, my fatigue seems to coinside with that goal. Also, a cross-country trip is just a bunch of smaller trips put togther. Every day is a new day. I wake up in the morning refreshed and ready to go again.

KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
2000 Champion Colorado trailer
1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Sounds to me like you are pretty well set. I get the feeling that you are not on a tight schedule so will be able to stop if you get too tired or sleepy. You are prepared for hydration with your Camelback, and you have a means of staying cool. Your LD Comfort shorts and the riding pants will be a great comfort addition. I'm not familiar with the jackets you mention so I can't comment. I haven't tried the energy drinks you mention, but nothing takes the place of a 20 minute powernap.

700 to 800 mile days are really pretty easy on a Wing. Lots of times that is the result of just going for a nice ride. 1000 mile days are not difficult once you've done one or two and get over the mindset of "1000 miles on a motorcycle is crazy!". I'm a wimp compared to lots of my riding buddies and 1000 mile days don't require a second thought other than "When are we leaving?"

You'll do fine. Stop and rest when you get tired. Ride safe and have fun.

Glen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
2008 Tailwind trailer
IBA #33072
Darksider #163
Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

If you get up, walk around, and stretch once in a while, you should do fine. I find that the highways are more difficult to ride long distances than a trip with lots of turns and 'excitement'. I've found that Redbull gives me 'wings' when I'm feeling a bit distracted or drowsy on long boring stretches. I suspect the 5 hour energy drinks will work much the same way. I don't think you would need to break it up by 100 mile increments, but I like the idea. Sometimes you may be able to ride almost a full tank before you need to get off and stretch, others it may be only 50 miles. Let your body tell you what you need, and listen to it. Everyone is different, but I would think a 500 mile day should be very doable day after day, especially on slab at 75-80MPH.

Costa Mesa, CA
2012 Red level 3
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement. Yes I'm looking at 4 days from Dallas to San Fran at 450-475mi a day. Then I'll have a few days rest. Then 4 days of, the same distance up the west coast. Then 6 days riding back to TX.

Also if I feel like the slab is making me drowsy etc I'll get off and take access roads until I'm feeling up to slabbing it again...

Wow @ the prospect of working up to a day's run at 1000mi. I was laughing to myself this morning thinking one day I can apply for the iron butt club...

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Member

If you're not really on a tight schedule, GlockJock hit it on the head. Stop and rest when you get tired. Once you get on the open road, 100 miles is nothing, but saying that, don't push yourself over your limit. Never had a 5-hour energy drink. Do you have a energy drop after five hours? Something else, take some energy (protein) bars with you. Start hydrating yourself 3 or 4 days befor your trip, especially since it's gonna be hot on your trip. Good luck!

David

'06 Titanium Navi Goldwing
IBA# 37560 DS# 591

Get Your FREE TEXAS Travel Guide
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks David. It's not a tight schedule but I need to cover 1700mi from Dallas to San Fran in 4 (worst case 5) days.

Interesting about the hydrating days in advance of the trip....hadn't thought of that.

Max

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

I think Energy drinks bad idea, if your that tired take a nap

sounds like you have serious seat issues, probably to late now but I would start looking for a custom seat that actually allows you to ride all day comfortably for your next trip, very expensive but if it works it will be worth it, i am lucky the stock seat works perfect for me.

tired while riding is rarely an issue for me but the other day in a state park I sat down to watch a short video about the park and the next thing I knew some forest ranger lady was trying to wake me up, but that's pretty normal for me almost anytime I watch TV lol

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 465,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

The seat is fine....the Airhawk makes it perfect.

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockjock View Post
Sounds to me like you are pretty well set. I get the feeling that you are not on a tight schedule so will be able to stop if you get too tired or sleepy. You are prepared for hydration with your Camelback, and you have a means of staying cool. Your LD Comfort shorts and the riding pants will be a great comfort addition. I'm not familiar with the jackets you mention so I can't comment. I haven't tried the energy drinks you mention, but nothing takes the place of a 20 minute powernap.

700 to 800 mile days are really pretty easy on a Wing. Lots of times that is the result of just going for a nice ride. 1000 mile days are not difficult once you've done one or two and get over the mindset of "1000 miles on a motorcycle is crazy!". I'm a wimp compared to lots of my riding buddies and 1000 mile days don't require a second thought other than "When are we leaving?"

You'll do fine. Stop and rest when you get tired. Ride safe and have fun.

Glen

Glockjock takes naps while he is riding

you will do fine and enjoy each new adventure every day, 500 miles is a piece of cake on a goldwing

Kevin

IBA# 55527

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page