Dunlop 250 Tire question - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Dunlop 250 Tire question

What are the problems that people have with the tire? I have heard a few that like the tire, but the vast majority do not............why? Is it a harder tire, too soft and wears to quick, too slick?
Thanks for the info.

Msgt Ray Parker (Ret)
2005 Hot Rod Yellow and Beautiful
DS #863

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Member

I like the rear D250 it is a harder tire and I get about 14000-15000 out of it . I do a lot of slab driving back and forth to work and this tire wears good for me. It is a harder tire and I think that is what most that ride the curves hard don't like about it.

No matter where I go here I am.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Member

D250's were on my 08 from factory, got 17K out of the front and 18K from back. Most of my driving is on two lane roads with one up. Watch your air pressure and you will be fine. Many flame Dunlop tires but I never had any problems with them. I currently have E3's installed.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

I didn't like them much at all, wasnt real happy with the wet weather performance and the noise/cupping, mine were replaced at 9k and man were they junk! However its like anything and everything else, some love them and some don't , I just happen to not like them and tried Metzelers, Stones and Avon Cobra and thanks to Bulldog at www.shinhopples.com. He convinced me to try the Avon Cobra's and that's now my tire of choice, I have had great luck with them, rode on a set to Alaska,12K plus miles in 39-106 degree weather, many different road conditions and made it round trip with them and no issues, actually when I went for new tires the installer could not believe I rode that far in those conditions on those tires.Anyway its personal preference and what makes you feel confident and comfortable, I also use Dynabeads and have Racetech front suspension and traxxion rear shock.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2008 Audio/Comfort/Navi
AMA Member
GWTA
Windbender HP/ST15
Ultimate Midrider Seat
Bike MP3

Rode to Alaska July 2012--One FANTASTIC RIDE!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellow1 View Post
What are the problems that people have with the tire? I have heard a few that like the tire, but the vast majority do not............why? Is it a harder tire, too soft and wears to quick, too slick?
Thanks for the info.
The 250 is one of the best tires I ran until I went to a car tire. Got around 22K, but got over 40K from the Kuhmo runflat I ran after that. Now I'm a double dark sider. I think you will be happy with the 250.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm not a good enough rider to quantify "why" I do not like the E3 I currently have on the front of my bike. All I can say is the feedback I get from the tire does not inspire confidence when I try a spirited ride on a twisty road. Could definitely be a symptom of the Michelin CT on the rear, too. The bike just does not want to lean (and stay leaned) through corners. "Nervous and active counter-steering" is the best way I can think to describe bombing a corner. On the Bridgestones the dealer installed when I bought the bike used it was just, well, fun to hit the twisties.

-Howard

'06 Titanium ABS
Purchased 10 Sep 12 w/16K.
Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat (Rear), Dunlop E3 (Front)
Added: Windbender Windshield, Utopia Backrest, Flash2Pass, SpeedoHealer, Brake Light Modulator, Tail/Trunk Light Conversion Harness, Kisan Headlight Modulator, Bushtech Hitch, Progressive Monotubes, All Balls Steering Head Bearings, Signal Dynamics Heads up Voltage Monitor, Tire-SafeGuard TPMS, Belly Pan, LED Brake/Turn Lights (front & rear), +other misc.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Chromeaphobe

I suspect the D250 is a harder grade of rubber. I just know it slid around when pushed hard in the rain. I suspect if you just go in straight lines and slow they are OK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 Red GL1800
Progressive Monos/Ultimate
2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost1950 View Post
The 250 is one of the best tires I ran until I went to a car tire. Got around 22K, but got over 40K from the Kuhmo runflat I ran after that. Now I'm a double dark sider. I think you will be happy with the 250.
Who cares..........LOL...Don't ya think if he wanted to hear about car tires he would go to the darkside forum..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellow1 View Post
Thanks for the info.
Back to the question: They seem to wear really good but hard rubber and wet roads do not mix...Only ever ran one set they came on the bike stock...Never again...Just my 2 cents...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsonIII View Post
I'm not a good enough rider to quantify "why" I do not like the E3 I currently have on the front of my bike. All I can say is the feedback I get from the tire does not inspire confidence when I try a spirited ride on a twisty road. Could definitely be a symptom of the Michelin CT on the rear, too. The bike just does not want to lean (and stay leaned) through corners. "Nervous and active counter-steering" is the best way I can think to describe bombing a corner. On the Bridgestones the dealer installed when I bought the bike used it was just, well, fun to hit the twisties.
... it is what it is.

'06 Chrome on Black on Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page