GL1800Riders Forums banner

Trunk Rattle revisited

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Her_Wing 
#1 ·
I know there are endless existing threads on this topic that all provided valuable solutions that worked for others. After reading all of them and doing what worked for others I still have the rattle.

Here is a list of everything I have tried and the rattle remains:
  1. installed rubber bumpers on 4 corners
  2. inserted tubing in weather strip all way around
  3. inserted foam under the hinges
  4. checked and tightened all nuts and screws
  5. checked rear speaker covers and speakers for looseness
  6. removed helmet hanger extensions from the helmet hooks

Short of just turning up the volume on the tunes, does anyone have any additional suggestions that I have overlooked?

#2 ·
None of the above

Insert a 1/4"or 3/8" rubber vacuum hose inside the trunk rubber gasket

There is a small slice in the front of the trunk gasket in which to insert vacuum hose works like a charm

#3 · (Edited)
Rubber bumpers and tubing in the weather strip was a fix owners came up with back in 2001 to stop the trunk lid from rubbing on the trunk. It was never intended to stop the rattle, and really doesn't have anything to do with it.

The common rattle that most people try to fix is caused by the folding metal stops at the top of the hinges, not the hinges themselves. They just lay there loose when the trunk lid is closed. I put foam in a spot where it gets pinched by the stops when they fold up. I used a very light density 1 inch wide foam. I think it was weather strip with adhesive on one side.

You have to keep in mind that sometimes causes for rattles can be different than the common causes. You may not even be having a rattle from the stops. It may be coming from an unusual source that will require actual troubleshooting. Bang on the trunk while the bike is parked. Many times noises will show themselves that way.

#5 ·
Trunk rattle

Check to see if the whole trunk rattles, not just the lid. If the trunk is loose, remove the seat.
You will see the frame the trunk is mounted to. Black square tubing,
Top 2 bolts are visible when you move a few wiring bundles around.
The bottom 2 are a little farther down the frame.
Get a light and follow the sub-frame.
If all wiring was disconnected from the trunk, You could remove these 4 bolts and lift the trunk off the bike. May not be your problem, but worth a check. Doesn't take long to do
Good luck with your search

Jim

#9 ·
Check to see if the whole trunk rattles, not just the lid. If the trunk is loose, remove the seat.
You will see the frame the trunk is mounted to. Black square tubing,
Top 2 bolts are visible when you move a few wiring bundles around.
The bottom 2 are a little farther down the frame.
Get a light and follow the sub-frame.
If all wiring was disconnected from the trunk, You could remove these 4 bolts and lift the trunk off the bike. May not be your problem, but worth a check. Doesn't take long to do
Good luck with your search

Jim
I will definitely check these bolts, thanks.

#6 ·
I had an annoying rattle/bumping sound from somewhere in rear portion of my wing. Through trail and error, I discovered it was the CB radio. I installed four little "peel and stick" square mounts that you run wire zip ties through to the floor of the trunk cubby hole and zip tied my CB radio in place. No more things that go bump!

#7 ·
WAG? Plug connectors inside the trunk top, not secured and bouncing off the inside of the lid?

#15 ·
I have added the foam to the hinges and rubber bumper pads...an I have no noise or rattles...but is it possible that the rattle could be coming from the connectors that are under the
inside of the trunk lid...or does the lid hold the connectors firmly in place??

John

#16 ·
There is a flexible metal tie wrap that holds the harness and connectors in place. If done correctly, there should never be any rattling.

But you have to undo that tie to do things like installing the Honda accessory harness. If everything isn't reassembled properly, then yeah, it could really make a lot of racket back there. It is a valid suggestion.

A friend of mine went so far as to remove the trunk lid and the side compartments to take the bike for a test ride. It still rattled. He ended up finding out that the relay for his trailer light harness was loose, and banging against the inner fender.

When noises go beyond what most people find common, it is often something the owner installed that is making the noise, or something that wasn't put back together correctly.

#18 ·
Before you did all that, did you remove everything from the pockets, trunk, and side compartments to verify that it is really a trunk rattle ???

Do you have a trailer hitch ... could it be that ???
Is this a trike or a 2 wheel ???

#23 ·
First I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread.

After trying all the suggestions posted, I think I finally solved the rattle. I re-looked at the rear speaker covers along the bottom edge. There was a slight bit of looseness so I created some mini shims by forcing some toothpick into the cavity and broke it off clean. So far no more rattle! :grin2:

Now on to the next gremlin, blinking ABS light :frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.