GL1800Riders Forums banner

Which Side Are You On?

8K views 63 replies 39 participants last post by  adventurous 
#1 ·
This happened a few days ago in Texas. Which side are you on? The Biker or the Motorist?

#2 ·
Just my observation (probably jaded by my LEO backround to a certain extent):

1. While I did not see any inappropriate riding on the video, it is obvious that the motorcyclists did something to piss off the guys in the truck. Weather it was illegal activity is unknown.

2. In a road rage situation, it is best to just drive away.....don't confront an angry driver, you will just escalate the situation.

3. The motorcyclist did not appear to have or display any type of weapon.....however the guys in the truck would have no way of knowing if he had some type of concealed weapon or other device that could cause injury or death. If you are close enough to knock on my window, you are close enough to do me harm.

4. If I was the motorcyclist: I would have just ridden away to remove myself from the situation.

5. If I was the truck driver: I would have had my weapon handy, but I would not have pointed it at anyone until a threat became clear. However, as any LEO knows, it takes longer to react to a threat, so you best be prepared ahead of time. Google the "21 foot rule".

There was plenty of bad decisions by both parties......thankfully it looks like no none was injured or killed.

#4 ·
Well said.

#6 ·
The bike rider is the provocateur in this situation.
The truck guys were doing their thing, not impinging on the bikers in any way. As soon as the biker starts knocking on the truck window, he is the aggressor. The guys in the truck have no idea what the biker wants or is going to do next.
Biker is totally to blame for the aggressive response from the truck guys..

#7 ·
This happened a few days ago in Texas. Which side are you on? The Biker or the Motorist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEMxQrQ-Go
First of all the bike that came up and illegal passed on the right and banged on the passenger truck door is not so smart and luckily to be alive.we can asume the bikers in the lead were probably driving like a wild bunch and the guy near the back is filming this. The only guy quoting "what I do" like that camera on top of his head is going to protect him. When all his buddies are driving crazy I assuming this is the case and he come up on the blind side of driver and driver blows him away I would not convict because of the treat . You have the right to stand your ground in many places and he has a right to legally use that highway. :nerd:

#8 ·
Yeah, everybody should calm down and go their own way but it's the trigger happy dude in the pickup who pulled a gun and pointed it at the rider without any justification. The rider is lucky to be alive. If that's how the pickup driver responds to everything he perceives as bad driving he will eventually pull that trigger.

#10 ·
I was always told not to bring a knife to a gun fight, a motorcycle is no match for a truck even if the driver didn't have a gun. I think the motorcyclist put himself at great risk in order to get a video for you tube. It was ignorance on both of their parts. The bikers should of just went on and if the truck kept up with them, just let the truck go on. Nothing to prove here, and like in most road rage encounters it can quickly get out of hand with no winners.

#11 ·
Looked to me as if the bikes in the right lane were Brake Checking the pick up at the start of the Video, which is probably what started it.... I would have my weapon ready as well if someone came knocking at my window..

#21 ·
Brake checking the pick up to stop the truck to hold it up and car jack them all the people in the pick up would have been dead if the pick up driver didn't pull his gun only problem for him he didn't pull the trigger.

#12 ·
I think they were both wrong.

Either of them could have driven off or slowed down.
But once that macho macho man feeling starts running your brain, things get heated and close to being out of hand right quick.

#13 ·
Sometimes when you get a group of riders together, especially young boys, an incident or accident is just waiting to happen. Add some alcohol and you have a combination for disaster. In this particular case if the bikers were brake checking the truck, there you have the spark needed to start an explosion. In this day and age of communications a cell phone is just a reach away. Most have a camera. Someone in the truck should have grabbed a camera and started with the video. Someone else should have been dialing 911. The video is enough for a ticket and maybe more. It don't matter that you have three guys in the truck, you have more than that number on bikes so if it comes down to a he said ...they said, the numbers are against you. I'm sure the guy with the gun don't have the balls to pull the trigger, but if provoked enough it wouldn't surprise me that he would ram a few of them. We know how that would end up for the bikers. Right or wrong, don't ever put yourself in that situation! Two wrongs don't make a right. Call the law and get it stopped before someone does something stupid and ends up killing somebody. To be honest here, if I was riding with these guys and they started acting like this I would just get away from them and they would be on their own. It don't matter if I am riding with you or you are riding with me, if you can't ride like an adult you can go by yourself.

#14 ·
I wondered if the root of the problem was that the large group of motorcycles who were riding in the left lane were forcing those who wanted to drive faster to use the right lane. This has become very common over the past several years, particularly since vehicles are now allowed to pass on the right.

Nevertheless, both the biker and the driver of the pickup were wrong.

#16 ·
The event that triggered the situation was done prior to the beginning of the video. The only item that made it on the video that the bikers were messing with the other drivers is evidenced by the one rider looking at the blue Suburban(?) giving the "you're koo-koo" finger swirl (being kind on the description) to that driver. More evidence that the trigger was before the beginning of the clip is the rider with the camera explicitly makes sure the plate of the red truck made it on camera prior to anything involving that truck. There was no reason for that action otherwise. It was also one of the bike's blowing the horn. They do not put "game show buzzers" on trucks calling them horns; while many motorcycle manufactures do. Was it right for the truck driver to draw? I have absolutely no idea because there is too much missing to form an opinion or even judge the situation. The only for sure known item...... This was a bike mob out to mess with others for what they twistedly calling "fun".

#18 ·
The bike rider is no doubt guilty of not being too bright, even if he did just want to find out what the driver was upset about. He should have just moved on and let it go. But the guys in the truck acted like redneck a-holes.

If you are willing to pull a gun with such little provocation, there is no doubt in my mind that he is going to shoot someone unarmed someday.

#20 ·
Instead of guessing what might have happened, I'm only going to reply based upon the actual video that we have to go by. I saw the bike riders do nothing to warrant the guys in the truck being pissed. The guy tapping on the window was not smart, but the guy in the truck was a total jerk. I call it a jump ball.

Reactions: WVMANDINGO
#22 ·
Some have these bike riders brake checking and drinking. You must have seen some video not visible to me, because I saw neither. The only intimidating thing I observed was the apparent confrontation with the blue Suburban. The guys in the truck were so involved in confrontation with bikers on the driver's side of the truck they didn't even notice the rider on the right tapping on the window for a moment and when the window was finally put down (passenger was so upset or stupid he couldn't find the window switch) the guy was nearly berserk with anger. No excuse whatsoever for tapping on the window to start with, but all the other behavior is just based on assumption.

J S

#23 ·
Some have these bike riders brake checking and drinking. You must have seen some video not visible to me, because I saw neither. The only intimidating thing I observed was the apparent confrontation with the blue Suburban. The guys in the truck were so involved in confrontation with bikers on the driver's side of the truck they didn't even notice the rider on the right tapping on the window for a moment and when the window was finally put down (passenger was so upset or stupid he couldn't find the window switch) the guy was nearly berserk with anger. No excuse whatsoever for tapping on the window to start with, but all the other behavior is just based on assumption.

J S

Perhaps my eyes are better than yours but I sure see a single bike riding in front of the truck causing the truck to apply his brakes..
I call that brake checking here in Arizona.. All you have to do is roll off the throttle and you slow down....

#30 ·
Lots of assumptions. A couple of you indicated that the bikers must have done something wrong to piss off the truck driver. Really?

Some folks don't like motorcycles and particularly in groups.

The bike rider is stupid for creating the confrontation.

Mistakes on both sides.

#31 ·
The motorcycles are all over the road, not at all organized, and seem to be doing their best to piss off the the cages. The guy doing the filming is a moron who doesn't know to get out of the way when a gun is pointed right at him. I gotta side with the cages in this case as the motorcycles did most everything wrong.

#32 · (Edited)
We can't see them doing anything illegal in the clip but I know one thing...I sure wouldn't ride with those guys.

People see videos of a group of bikes shutting down freeways, chasing down vehicles, beating on the door with helmets and dragging the driver from the cab where they beat him and then they are out for a drive when a group of bikes are taking over the road, harrasing another motorist and then a guy they had words with shows up knocking on your window on your blindside.

Of course the guys were startled and moved to defend themselves. He even said in the video "I'm not taking on 15 bikers" (expletives omitted) indicating he thought the situation could quickly turn into the guys in the truck against the group of riders and picked up the gun to even the odds. Once he realized the guy just wanted to talk, he put down the gun.

Now...I'm not saying I'd hang out with the idiot in the truck either as he definitely exemplified the stupid redneck. However, any idiot knows you don't surprise a guy in a truck in Texas without expecting to see a gun pointed back at you.

So...both groups were idiots but I guess I'd blame the riders more than the guys in the truck.

#33 ·
Well, a tad different north of your border. With the evidence presented on video the guy driving the pick-up with the gun would be going to jail, period "Point Firearm" plus another bucket of charges for having the gun in the truck, unsafe storage etc etc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.