GL1800Riders Forums banner

Which windshield do you recommend for a tall rider?

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  F4Customs 
#1 ·
I'm a little over 6'-8" tall barefoot and wear a 34" inseam in blue jeans so, obviously, I'm not 'all legs'. Additionally, I have a custom seat which must have me up at least 4" when I'm on it. My bike was just hit and my shield was damaged (along with a lot of other plastic). The good news is two-fold; 1) it was parked & I wasn't on it, and 2) it's still ride-able.

The damaged shield is taller than stock (though I don't know by how much) with a vent and is adjustable. I used a Laminar Lip with it. Now that I have the opportunity to replace that set up, I'm curious as to what is out there and what you all might suggest.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

#5 ·
Gary, everyone has his own opinion. and it is mine that you want to see over the winshield while riding. I like the shield about an inch to two inches below my line of vision.

I have the F4 windshield with the vent. It has given great service for a number of years and thousands of miles without yellowing, or developing scratches.

#6 ·
Another vote for F4 +4......I love it

#7 ·
F4 +4

Without a doubt....

F4 +4..:smile2:

Best windshield on the market. I should know too. I've had two wings and both had F4 +4 windshields.... Love'em

#8 ·
MadStad is another option and probably potentially the tallest when the bottom section is raised per the Honda clamps and the top is also up and with one of their tall shields. They have shield tops with the lip built in too. It can be a look over or look through shield with the plain upper. Uppers are interchangeable for versatility.

prs

#9 ·
Just installed the f4+4 this winter. So far it's doing it's job. Wish it was a little wider. Wife is not getting the wind as bad. Today the wind noise was about the same as my old shield but we were getting a lot of side wind which anything would've had it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Tulsa

I have had the Tulsa Tall and Xtra Tall. Wife and I liked them both alot.
after tearing up a windshield in Alaska...decided to try something different.

I put a F4+4 on this spring. However I do not have enough miles yet to give good judgement.

My only concern on the F4+4 is it seems way more upright than the Tulsa did. Not sure how it will react to rain and wind.
good luck in the search
bryon

#11 ·
I have had a vented F4+4 on my bike for a number of years and have logged about 90K behind one. They are easy to clean and scratch resistant though they do pit if a stone hits it. With the baker wings under the mirrors closed in the cold weather there isn't really any noticeable wind hitting me unless it is from the side & no shield will block that. Buffeting is reduced from the stock shield and the rain protection is much better. Anything much over 50 mph & it has to be a downpour to get me wet. The one thing I would like to do is to add a lip at the top to keep water from running up over & down the back of the shield. I have used a 2' piece of 3/8" rubber hose & it works pretty well until cold weather then it stiffens up & comes off. The F4+4 is more upright than a Tulsa so you will never hit your helmet on the shield while getting on the bike. The combination of the larger shield and the baker wings seemed to drop the gas mileage by about 1-2 mpg which is a hit I am willing to accept for the added comfort and protection on nasty days. If you ever do have a problem with it, the folks at F4 are great to deal with and will take good care of you.

#13 ·
20K Miles on a Tulsa Extra Tall with OEM Honda Vent.
6'0" Tall, 32" Inseam, using the Stock Seat and Baker Hand Wings.
I am very pleased and the wife is also (important) pleased as her buffeting has been eliminated.
No pits or chips. OTOH, the weather here in Southern California doesn't generally produce the sort of air born, road chum that any east coast rain storm generates.
I must say that the wind protection is awesome. This is a good thing, but it also has a drawback. Below ~85*F the driver's air pocket is about as good as it gets. However, above ~90*F even with the Hand Wings turned out and the Windshield Vent Open . . . it can actually get just a bit warm. In other places of the country this probably isn't much of a problem. But here in the Southwest, in the summer half of the year, it can get quite toasty (100*F+ is common) if you're not near the shore or in the mountains.

#18 ·
20K Miles on a Tulsa Extra Tall with OEM Honda Vent.
6'0" Tall, 32" Inseam, using the Stock Seat and Baker Hand Wings.
I am very pleased and the wife is also (important) pleased as her buffeting has been eliminated.
No pits or chips. OTOH, the weather here in Southern California doesn't generally produce the sort of air born, road chum that any east coast rain storm generates.
I must say that the wind protection is awesome. This is a good thing, but it also has a drawback. Below ~85*F the driver's air pocket is about as good as it gets. However, above ~90*F even with the Hand Wings turned out and the Windshield Vent Open . . . it can actually get just a bit warm. In other places of the country this probably isn't much of a problem. But here in the Southwest, in the summer half of the year, it can get quite toasty (100*F+ is common) if you're not near the shore or in the mountains.

:grin2:

#14 · (Edited)
I have a clear Tulsa with Tulsa mirror wings. What I like about this setup is there is no head buffeting with both the rider and passanger...great weather protection with no distortion, optical clarity is like looking through glass and I like the swept back look and how it steamlines the Wing.

My Tulsa has been on my bike since 2004 and has been taken care of like Tulsa recommends and it still looks new like....the only con to this windshield for me is, being that's it's not vented, it can get slightly warm in very hot weather at slower speeds and in stop and go traffic...but on the other side of the coin the Tulsa is very nice in the cooler and cold weather which is really the conditions that most of my riding is done in anyways.

If I were buying a new windshield I would buy another Tulsa,except I would get a vent and tinted windshield the second time around...kind of wish my 12 year old Tulsa wasn't looking as new like as it still is....still looks and works so well that I just can't justify spending the money on a new windshield.

One more thing I would comment on is that if you do like a Tulsa style windshield then buy the real thing and stay aways the the Tulsa copys like Chrome World sells. I tried the Tulsa copy Chrome World sells called the Typhoon...it was vented and tinted and it looked great on the bike...trouble is I didn't get off my street after installing that windshield before I wanted to turn around and removed it....distortion...optical clarity was just horrible...buy a Tulsa, like with everything you get what you pay for.

#17 ·
Actually, I have my seat RAISED and moved back a far as my backrest support will allow. While I understand that lowering the seat might keep my head out of the wind, my knees wouldn't tolerate that kind of restriction at all. :)

#20 ·
Don at F4 Customs here. I suggest you consider the F4 Plus 4 and put it in the 5th notch when installing. For your height this would work well for you and move the air up and over you fine. The F4 has a slight curve design in the windshield that is not really that noticeable that does a great job with air management yet causes no distortion. The F4 is also made of the best Polycarbonate with our coatings baked in so you don't have to worry about rain shedding. Just clean it with paper towels and any glass cleaner and ride.
Give us a call if we can help.
330-968-4644
Don
ww.f4customs.com
Supporting vendor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.