GL1800Riders Forums banner

Long trip with diabetis

3K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  obwan 
#1 ·
I am planning s long trip this fall, expect to be out for about a month and cover 12 to 15,000 miles. I am a T2 diabetic and take long acting insulin. Wondering what others who have similar issues are doing to keep riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Price
2012 Goldwing
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummings
2016 Denali 389RK

#3 ·
Rode 2 trips a year with a T2 friend, typically 8-9 days. He packed his meds in a small (half the size of a shoe box) cooler and never had a prob. Unless you happened to see him doing his injection, you never would have known. We were always sure to eat at good intervals, but old fat guys like me always want to do that anyway. I'm not one to try to instruct you, but GO. A trip missed is a trip lost.

Shiv

#19 ·
#9 ·
Go to Walgreens and buy a cup sized thurmus ,silver, with a black screw on lid.

Fill it with ice and a little water.......

Put insulin in there, stays cold all day.

You can dump and refill if needed at QT

Sounds like a good idea. At least it would keep it cool. Should be able to keep 4 or 5 pens in there.

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

#8 ·
I am type 1 and have been since 1978.

I use the OmniPod wireless pump, and a sensor that transmits my blood sugar levels continuously to my IPhone.

The pump controller, the size of a cell phone, and my IPhone go in the zippedbag behind me in the back rest.

She can check my levels and give me insulin withoutme even knowing it

#11 ·
I am type 1 and have been since 1978.

I use the OmniPod wireless pump, and a sensor that transmits my blood sugar levels continuously to my IPhone.

The pump controller, the size of a cell phone, and my IPhone go in the zippedbag behind me in the back rest.

She can check my levels and give me insulin withoutme even knowing it

I'm not ready for a pump, yet. Just need two shots a day 25 units at a time. Watch the carbs and I can pretty much stay under 90 fasting and around 125 after eating, usually.

I was just reading about continuous monitoring. It sounds very interesting and so convenient. Which system are you using and how well does it work?

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

#15 ·
Get a small flexible cooler and some ziplock sandwich bags. Every morning put some ice in a bag, drop it in your cooler, and toss in your insulin. I've been doing this for several years now. Easy peasy. And no mess....
And I'm a tightwad---I use the same sandwich bag for several days!!!!����������

#16 ·
Thanks. That is the type of info I need. Figure I'll be on the road for about a month. That will require about five pens. Temps should be moderating in late September. That's my big concern.

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

#17 ·
Lantis is good for 28 days non-refrigerated. I take mine in a small lunch size soft pak cooler. Keep Ice in a good zip lock bag. Re-fill ice from crushed ice dispenser for drinks at convienence store

Reactions: Pricejh61
#18 ·
#23 ·
Allen - I can't handle the starvation diet. I need a lift in the AM, usually 3 eggs and an English muffin. Then a lite lunch and a modest high protein dinner. I take a Janumet morning and evening. Also do 23 to 25 units of Lantis morning and evening.

Using a low carb diet I dropped from 255 to 210 last year. And I still indulge in my favorite adult grape beverage every evening.

My biggest bugaboo is hitting a vein when taking the Lantis. Crap is that scary. It has happened about 4 times in the past year. Lowest was a BG of 21. Takes 2 pints of Welches grape juice to rebound.

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

#24 ·
If you slightly aspirate, (pull on the syringe plunger), and watch for blood in the bottom of the syringe, before injecting, you wont hit a vein.

If you see blood, throw that syringe away, and start over somewhere else.

21 is very dangerous

#28 ·
Diabetes

I think it is amazing how many on this board are diabetic and I'm in that number. If I eat too many carbs, my energy and attention will crash and I either have to take a nap or get some vigorous exercise to come out of it. I'm much better off with nuts or nut bars as snacks when riding rather than eating full meals. I feel very fortunate that none of the medicine I take has any chance of taking my glucose levels low enough for them to be dangerous.

I read about the struggles others have maintaining their blood sugar levels and feel very fortunate. If I eat relatively conservatively, I'm OK. The only thing that I have that stems from my diabetes is peripheral neuropathy. For me, that means my feet hurt constantly. Sometimes it is nearly unbearable and other times it is just mildly annoying. The good news is riding does not make my feet hurt any worse than they do otherwise.

#29 ·
I think it is amazing how many on this board are diabetic and I'm in that number. If I eat too many carbs, my energy and attention will crash and I either have to take a nap or get some vigorous exercise to come out of it. I'm much better off with nuts or nut bars as snacks when riding rather than eating full meals. I feel very fortunate that none of the medicine I take has any chance of taking my glucose levels low enough for them to be dangerous.

I read about the struggles others have maintaining their blood sugar levels and feel very fortunate. If I eat relatively conservatively, I'm OK. The only thing that I have that stems from my diabetes is peripheral neuropathy. For me, that means my feet hurt constantly. Sometimes it is nearly unbearable and other times it is just mildly annoying. The good news is riding does not make my feet hurt any worse than they do otherwise.
Same here with the neuropathy. Besides my feet I had it pretty bad in my hands/fingers. After getting my BS under control my hands are fine now but not so with my feet. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking on a bed of needles. I really feel sorry for the youngsters who have type1 diabetes and struggle with it. :crying:

Reactions: Pricejh61
#35 ·
For all those with T1, T2 and low sugar, get this book. https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699
It will definitely help. Follow it.The low carb high fat way of eating is not a starvation diet. I've been on this almost 3 years and feel better now than I did 30 years ago. OK, off my soap box now. All I can say if I hadn't felt and seen the differences in my body going through the transformation, I wouldn't have believed it either.
And yes Allen, I still have my beer as well, lol.

#36 ·
Beer.....yes.....

I love the LCHF diet. I have this thing for protein and fats. It's just natural. Now, if I can just get beyond the salty carbs...[emoji2]

John Price
2012 Goldwing
2016 Denali 389RK

#40 ·
I am a diabetic and carry short and long-acting insulin with me. On a trip a couple years back, I had an ice vest with a cooler in the rear seat. I put the insulin at the top of the cooler because I didn't want to get the vials wet. Long story short, 113° heat did the insulin in, even at the top of the cooler. Replacing the insulin on the road was incredibly expensive. Next time I take a trip through the heat, I am going to use a thermos bottle. I will put the vials in a zip-lock bag, though.

Good luck on your trip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.