using an inspection scope for checking the air filter ? - GL1800Riders
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By moh58
  • 1 Post By flat6bagger
  • 2 Post By ssncob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

using an inspection scope for checking the air filter ?

I have read about checking the air filter with an inspection scope.
For the life of me I can not find a thread on the procedure to do this.
I need to know what has to be taken off,etc.
Could someone lead me in the right direction?

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Using a bore scope for air filter inspection is ok to check for rodent nests, but other than that, a quick look at the surface of your air cleaner is not a reliable indicator of the air filters condition.
flat6bagger likes this.

<font size=3><font color=#333333><font face=Verdana>If you don't watch the news or read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do.... you're misinformed.</font></font></font>
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moh58 View Post
Using a bore scope for air filter inspection is ok to check for rodent nests, but other than that, a quick look at the surface of your air cleaner is not a reliable indicator of the air filters condition.
I wondered about that actually.
For what a good scope costs, I might as well buy Fred's DVDs and just do an air filter change.
I have 19,000 on it,so it wouldn't hurt and I would gain the knowledge of doing the filter change for next time.

Doug
JGDJR likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

You can pick up a boroscope off of ebay or bangood for $10-20, plugs into your computer's usb port or newer smartphone. And as Moh indicated, best for big crud determination but does a pretty decent job of overall cleanliness of the filter. As to how to use - real easy if top shelter is off. If not off, then can pull a shelter pocket off and snake in via that way, or last (and hardest) is snaking in from the front tunnel area (which I honestly don't have a lot of success with). I do a quick inspect every 10-20k or so. By the way, if the top shelter is off, real easy to just remove one additional screw and remove the air box inlet air horn and then shine a flashlight down into the airbox and look with the good ole eyeball.
flat6bagger and tnntraveler like this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Seasoned Member

The two air horns are not (at least in early model GL18's) connected to the inlets at the front of the cowl. They end close to the pocket area at each side. I used to use my scope to look at the filter surfaces, to make sure mousy mousy had not nested there. Then I used the screen off of an old Honda filter to cover the ends of the air horns to prevent lil'mousy form invading, thus the scope can no longer spelunk either. The Honda interval for air filter change is VERY much on the worse case scenario side of necessity. I change mine every major service (valve check time) and the filter I discard is still pretty dang clean. I live in a high dust and pollen area and even ride dirt/gravel roads; but high traffic on busy freeways may be dustier.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
I have read about checking the air filter with an inspection scope.
For the life of me I can not find a thread on the procedure to do this.
I need to know what has to be taken off,etc.
Could someone lead me in the right direction?

Doug
I know this is an older thread but I used a scope to take a look at my filter. I bought an '05 but had no idea how long it had been since the previous owner had changed the air filter. I removed the left pocket then snaked the scope in through the air horn far enough to be able to see the filter. I could tell it was dirty but there were no rodent nests there. It wasn't that hard to get the camera in there and I could see enough to decide if I wanted to change it.

'05 Goldwing
'03 VTX 1300 (Sold)
'11 Harley Ultra Classic - Sold

John 3:16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page