GL1800Riders Forums banner

Hows that reverse trike thingy working out....

10K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  motogordo 
#1 · (Edited)
Dunno , but this thread may end up in trikes.. figured I would start here as there may be 2 wheel riders who are contemplating going 3 wheels sometime...

Seems we aught to have enough riders with the reverse trike setup ... How is it working out... I know they cost a lot of money .. but try to give an honest observation .. It may have been the best thing you ever did...or you may secretly have buyers remorse.. Especially looking for comparisons if you test rode several different brand names before you plunked down the gold...

I rode a new Cam Am just for fun... Seems like the steering was so sensitive like it wanted to oversteer... Was told that was normal.... and that it wasn't going to suddenly take off in the wrong direction and toss me in the ditch... Also it requires quite a bit of routine maintenance.. Including laser alignment... I don't think a Can Am is in my future.. especially as how spoiled we are with all the integrated systems on the Wing....

I'm hoping for a demo ride on the Hannigan reverse coming up next week at Fayettville Ak BBB.. I really like the look of the Hanni compared to some other reverse trikes... but it's the feel of the ride I'm looking for...

#4 · (Edited)
I was leaning that way too.. Then I thought what was the reason for going 3 wheels ... balance and leg strength or lack of it.. . which some have problems with in the later years.. So then, what is the advantage as opposed to the lean of a 2 wheeler... I guess one would need to buy the parking option that keeps the bike straight up when slowing down and parking..

#3 ·
Yeah, I rode a Can Am too and the problem is you don't counter steer like you do on a motorcycle. That results in the "over steering" issue when switching from a motorcycle. They should put a steering wheel on it, not handlebars. I like the look and it had plenty of power but I just hated being on it. Not in my future either. I'll trike a Wing when I get to that point... which hopefully won't be for many years yet.

#5 ·
A friend of mine who has a bit of a mobility problem has a Spyder. Said it's certainly not like riding a motorcycle but more towards a snowmobile. He preferred it over the trike he had prior as it feels more stabile when doing evasive maneuvers at highway speeds.

#7 ·
If one has ever ridden a snowmobile, they will understand.

It is like riding a snowmobile or a quad.....for me, it was more like a snowmobile...lean inside, look where you want to go, and crank the bars over.....

I could see one as a 2nd bike, but unless I had to? I would not replace my bike with a Can Am.....if I were to have to go that route, I would probably go for a Slingshot...just my opinion. If the mood strikes me to ride a Spyder, my wife has an RT....it's fun, but not the same as a two wheeler....it does have one advantage tho....(ok....two)......fantastic wind protection, and more (lots more) storage than a Wing.

#6 ·
TALK WITH RON KIDD ON BOARD WAS IN BRYSON CITY IN JUNE AND HAD HIS HANNIGAN (THINK THATS WHAT IT WAS ) :laugh:AND REALLY LIKED IT. HAD TRIED A LOT OF DIFFERENT TRIKES . NICE LOOKING AND MORE STORAGE ROOM WITH FRONT DONE.

#8 ·
A non-leaning reverse trike is the only real way to go. A leaning trike offers no advantages as there is no increase in stability or traction. One may think there is but the reality is each wheel in the front now has 1/2 the weight applied and therefore 1/2 the traction so in essence no gain. And now that it leans there is diminishing adhesion while lean angle increases just like a 2 wheeler. Ground clearance is still an issue as it is with a 2 wheeler. In general adding the extra wheel is just like adding a 5th wheel to your car - it's now a novelty item that you pay 10k for. Even in the advertisements it is denoted "it rides and handles exactly like a standard motorcycle" in other words there is no benefit or advantages. Riding on non paved roads is no better than a 2 wheeler and in general a leaning trike does nothing better than a standard motorcycle except draw attention.

A non-leaning RT holds all the advantages as the steering is in general automotive in nature and due to the non-lean there is proper weight transfer and traction gains along with greater stability. Non-leaning trikes can also incorporate 3 automotive tires for greater longevity, up to 50k per tire change. Ride is stable and soft cornering once mastered will in general be as good or better than most stock motorcycles. Feedback in cornering is predictable and linear unlike that of rear wheel conversions. Trail is normally in the 1/2"to 1" range opposed to the 3-6" of a rear wheel conversion. Riding unpaved roads offers a great advantage as a non-leaning trike is very stable under all condition on any road surface from paved to dirt.
I personally do approx 1/3rd of my riding on gravel - by choice. It's awesome to be able to ride 100 miles on tar then jump off some backroad like the CO old falls river road (old dirt road, Estes Park) and not even have to slow down.

As far as CanAm who does have a patent on a leaning trike which they will probably never build. Same with HD. CanAm has electronic power assist steering which does allow them to steer very softly however you do lose some feel in the corners so they act a bit like there is not enough caster. But to their credit the trikes handle very well and rides well also.

There are 3 popular commercial RT conversion companies in the US doing Reverse Trikes which are non-leaning and offer standard automotive style double wishbone systems. One company advertises one on one steering and IFS. One on one steering just means the angle of the handle bar turn equals the angle of the tires, this is not a good idea as this is too quick and can cause some unpredictable bump steer. IFS is standard on all front suspension systems so that is pretty much a meaningless sale ploy.
I can't mention names but one of the 3 went into production several years ago and the other 2 just recently.

CanAm deserves credit for producing the first properly designed trike as the Wheels forward is the correct configuration from an engineering perspective. BRP is also the only manufacturer that builds a "factory" trike. The HD units are factory conversions not factory trikes.
Truthfully the conversion companies offer the CanAm benefit with the added option of using your motorcycle as the base platform so you end up with all the benefits available.

#9 · (Edited)
A non-leaning reverse trike is the only real way to go. A leaning trike offers no advantages as there is no increase in stability or traction. One may think there is but the reality is each wheel in the front now has 1/2 the weight applied and therefore 1/2 the traction so in essence no gain. And now that it leans there is diminishing adhesion while lean angle increases just like a 2 wheeler. Ground clearance is still an issue as it is with a 2 wheeler. In general adding the extra wheel is just like adding a 5th wheel to your car - it's now a novelty item that you pay 10k for. Even in the advertisements it is denoted "it rides and handles exactly like a standard motorcycle" in other words there is no benefit or advantages. Riding on non paved roads is no better than a 2 wheeler and in general a leaning trike does nothing better than a standard motorcycle except draw attention.
I couldn't possibly disagree more.

"Just like a two wheeler" YES!

If I need three wheels because I can no longer keep it vertical at stops, for whatever reason, and can still have the lean of two wheels, that is what I want.

Are you saying that a leaning trike will fall over?

The lean is the advantage. It doesn't try to throw you off the bike to the outside of the turn.

Unless I am wrong about how it operates, never ridden one.

I have ridden a trike and it wanted to throw me off.

Pilots get to move in three axis.
Motorcyclists get to move in two.
Trikers and cars get to move in one.

Decreasing levels of fun, IMO.

#10 ·
99.9% of all vehicles on the road do not lean, would you buy a leaning car or leaning dump truck? There is a skill required to ride ATV's, snowmobiles, dune buggies and any "sport" vehicle.
Riding a trike is a matter of technique which has to be learned just like water skiing or rollerblading.

The point is the same as the point in the movie spinal tap where two identical amplifiers were for sale but the volume knob on one went from 0-10 and on the other it went from 0-11. The only difference was the calibration on the knob yet the one from 0-11 was more expensive.
A leaning trike is just like that, same as a motorcycle just an extra wheel for ten grand.

Think Physics not emotion.

Back to the OP - After riding on 2 wheels for some 1.2 million miles I prefer the RT over any other motorcycles I have owned. I have a couple 2 wheelers which i ride along with 4 RT's. I end up riding my trikes more now not due to age but rather lifestyle - I spend time out on the back roads and the trike is just so much better, it's like when I was riding dirt bikes and trials except I can also do 80 down the highway.

#11 ·
Think Physics not emotion.
What???

If I was thinking physics, I wouldn't have a motorcycle.

Motorcycling is all about emotion.

That's why a leaning RT excites people. It IS all about emotion.

#13 ·
My wife traded in her Shadow for a Can Am and is thrilled with it.

There is a little bit of a learning curve, but if you have ever ridden a 4-wheeler, its the same concept.

I still ride my "B", but know the can-am is there if I can't take the B out for some reason.

#14 ·
My wife rides a Spyder and I have about a thousand miles on it myself. It is fun, different obviously than a 2-wheeler. (The seat sucks but it is custom for her size, not mine.) I'm not a fan of the Spyder engine but the Wing 6 spoiled me for anything else. Ours is the electric paddle shifter, which I think is great. Upshift yourself and it downshifts auto or you can do it manually. The Spyder is expensive and since I have no desire to learn the maintenance on it, it is pricey to maintain. I used to think the leaning thing would be an issue but it is not. The Spyder is a very active riding experience, I've never been on a snowmobile or quad so I can't compare. But I cannot see any advantage at all to a leaning trike, I don't think it would offer any advantage and probably would detract from the riding experience. Yes, the Spyder will throw you side to side in aggressive cornering, just like in a car, so you have to learn to lean your body properly. If you just want to sit bolt upright in a seat and cruise through curves, I guess a leaning trike would be in order. But I wouldn't go that route.

#15 ·
I test rode a conventionL trike (Goldwing) and an RT ( Goldwing) at Americade. The "motion" on the trike was wierd- didn't like the feel. Loved the RT- took some effort to steer but you get accustomed to it as you ride. Would convert to RT when I need to stop 2 wheeling on the Goldwing. The one I rode has a flat front snout- not as atteactive as the tapered fromt ends bit I believe a well engineered unit. I have not ridden other makes for comparison yet.

#16 ·
I just got my bike from the shop this week (Wednesday) after having it converted to the Motor Trike Prowler RT. Since then I've been keeping detailed notes on the differences between 2 and 3 wheels. I'd like to get a few more miles on before I post anything. Thus far I am mostly pleased and find adapting to have been easier than I thought.

Stay tuned for a follow up.

Attachments

#17 ·
I have the Hannigan RT (see avatar) I have also owned a conventional trike before returning to 2 wheels so I do have some experience comparing both style of trike. Yes the RT takes a little getting used to it's riding style,leaning into a turn helps faster cornering, but after that it is a dream to ride. You still have the ability to adjust your suspension for one or two up. The RT by far handles corners better as you are actually steering and not having two rear drive wheels pushing the front wheel thru a turn. The only thing I do not like is the TPMS is no longer active, have to add aftermarket kit. I went without the forward trunk as I feel what Honda built in is adequate, if not I have got the Bushtec (and didn't have to change the hitch or wiring). I also got he load bearing running boards as I think they just add to the finished looks.Everything Goldwing is still there. Hope this helps. You may see Ron Kidd at the Arkansas event, look for a Yellow Hannigan.

#22 · (Edited)
Pretty good post and from what I see Hannigan is doing a good job on their conversion. I would agree with zzcop8 on the ride and faster cornering. I think zz will agree there are things you can do on an RT that you would ordinarily not do on any motorcycle or even conventional trike. Parking alongside the road no longer requires a scouting mission to find a level spot, you can just drive down into the ditch if your want. Wear coat, gravel and even dirt road are now part of the riding adventure.
Today we loaded up our 16 speeds and headed off to the state bicycle trail (30 miles) for a bit of fun. Hit some road construction along the way so 3 miles of gravel – who cares gravel is now fun. Put 10 miles on the bikes grabbed 22 geocaches then headed back home and took a nice scenic threw a tree lined (gravel) road.

#19 ·
I just sent in my 2 wheeler last week and soon it will "b" a three wheeler........

Never rode a trike b-4 but due to medical problems, I decided to go 4 it.......Couldn't even think of going bikeless...So soon I'll B triking........I'm actually excited, and looking forward to a new adventure in my retired life I'm only 65 yrs old.............Yepp Pee here I come three wheels in all, very soon! :biker::biker::biker::trike::trike:

Ronnie

Reactions: Shiv
#20 ·
Here are some the things that I have observed. These are not in any particular order and are basically in a "one liner" format:

Filling gas is now easier. Do not have to put the bike on the center stand to get a full tank.

Parking is different as the bike could roll away easier than when on the side stand. Always park in gear or in reverse. I have a set of chocks if needed and a wrap around Velcro strap for the hand brake. I also have a ride off center stand that works very well for parking use.

I haven’t tried a car tire on the rear yet but will change over once I run the E3 down.

Road/tire/engine noise is louder and I have to turn the volume up on the radio a bit to hear clearly.

Turbulence from trucks is handled better. I still feel it but the effect is noticeably less.

Side wind loads are also still felt but handled better.

The front tires do not throw water in the rain as it is blocked by the fenders and my feet do not get as wet when riding in the rain.

Steering low speed vs. highway - Slow speed steering is heavy. At highway speeds steering is very quick but easy to get accustomed to.

Traffic light trip plates no longer seem to be a problem. There is a light with trip plate near my home that never worked for my bike but always works with the car. It now works with the trike.

Judging width is not an issue as the two front wheels are always in my peripheral vision.

Standing up at traffic lights to stretch when you have a little butt burn is no problem as you don’t have to balance the bike.

Two up balancing at traffic lights and/or uneven road is no longer a factor.

Passenger getting on the bike while holding bike up is now a non issue.

Same engine temp on highway, slightly higher in stop & go at 90 degrees. Not close to overheating.

Speed bumps & driveway entrance – bottoms out if not careful, must go slowly or at an angle.

Twitchy passenger – no notice to them moving about now.

Nose dive is almost completely gone in a rapid stop.

Grated bridges & grooved roads are no problem at all.

Standing the bike up from side stand & put back down when getting off is a thing of the past.

Gravel patches on the roads & wet leaves are much less of a concern now. Almost like driving in a car.

Backing up from parking spaces etc. is easier as you do not have to balance the bike and can push more effectively if you are not using reverse.

Slow speed turn radius is almost as good at full lock but not as tight as with lean.

Pot holes & bumps have to be handled differently. If you can’t go around it you have to decide in advance how to take it. The independent front suspension seems to handle it better ride wise than taking the bump with the back tire.

Can’t drop bike.

The trike tracks straight hands off.

Linked brakes – Still activated. The hand brake only controls two of the three front pistons on each wheel. The foot brake controls the remaining front piston plus the rear brake. The bike will hold a straight line when the brakes are applied. Stopping distance is close to the same as with two wheels. I think the extra tire width may help with offsetting the added weight of the trike kit.

Turns at highway speeds require a little technique as it feels like centrifugal force wants to throw you off the bike. Leaning into the turn while pressing down with the outside foot makes a big difference. Slowing down before the turn and rolling the throttle coming out make the turn just a smooth as when on 2 wheels.

Gas mileage took a hit. The extra weight and wind drag costs me 2 to 3 mpg. The benefit to my knees make the MPG hit worth while.

The trike is still fun to ride. Thought I would miss 2 wheels.

#21 ·
I took a test ride on a trike and let me now expound... bwhahaha Geesh.

You have to be on any type/bike for awhile to give it a real review as it takes awhile to bond with it or learn to hate it. I still ride a two wheeler (1980 GS1000G) and love to ride it. I sold my 2013 CB1100 because the older Suzuki suites me better. More comfy, smoother and easier to work on. It is smooth and fast enough for a semi-geezer.

I am still plenty strong to handle a bike. I have a trike because I like to ride trikes as well and my missus feels great on our 2008 GL1800 Champion conversion. The Hannigan and Motortrike front wheel conversions were not there when we bought our current trike and I am dying to test ride a front wheel GL1800 converson.

Previous to our current trike, we owned a 2010 CanAm RT (the touring model). Its handling was TERRIBLE although they have improved things since then. That trike did lean but towards the outside of a turn and it was unsettling to say the least. It had a sewing machine engine that was buzzy and had to ridden like a 2-stroke dirt bike to make power. It wasn't underpowered, just the wrong engine on a touring machine. The thing just didn't have the comfort of a Goldwing. I did spend quite a bit of money aligning the thing (not for an amateur as it requires special laser tools and the ability to interface the bike's computer). I also changed the front shocks which were junk on the 2010 and added a much stouter anti-roll bar.

These mods helped but when I asked the missus if the RT should go in favor of a Goldwing trike, she loved me once again and encouraged me to go that route. If you are considering a trike, try all of them before making the move as they cost too much to make a mistake. Keep in mind that the Goldwing is the premier touring platform on the market. Folks on the CanAm forum will argue the other way so a lot of this is subjective. That is why I suggested trying them and find the trike that suits your needs and riding style.

#23 ·
Guess I'm with Larry in post 18.

If I ever get to the point where I don't think a 2 wheeler is the right choice for me any longer, I will get a convertible.

Motorcycle riding = leaning and maneuverability to me

Get wide and stop leaning and it's no longer a motorcycle. Doesn't mean it's not fun, but I see no advantage to 3 wheels over 4 so I'll buy a fun 4 wheeler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#28 ·
yes not a problem with airbags.

The slingshot is more of a sports car and as we all know sports cars are no fun :)
I know several people who have them and just love it. Like any open air sports machine they are lot's of fun for the young minded individuals. I think there were over 30 at the Deadwood trike rally along with some 400 spyders and everyone had a great time chasing around the hills.

#29 ·
You bring up a good point. It can't be denied that all these types of vehicles are different. A Miata is a different world from a 500 hp Mustang, but both have something to offer. A motorcycle is different from a trike, which is different from a reverse trike, which is different than a leaning trike, which is different than a Slingshot. Each one has its merits, and each one is missing something that some people crave. Pick the one that matches your personality.

#32 ·
Excellent points and right on the spot. The key is all these vehicles are exciting and fun. To say it must lean and it's not a motorcycle I would rather buy a car is very narrow minded comment. Open air vehicles are just plain fun. The new trikes are more exciting than ever and offer a real enhancement to the riding experience, especially if you are the adventurous type who does not wish to be limited to paved only roads.
I will take an ATV, Snowmobile or reverse trike over a car any day. Perhaps when I get too old to have fun I will buy a car :)

#33 ·
I wasn't trying to suggest that we should be expected to like all types and expect to have just as much fun on all of them as we do on our preferred choice. Rather, nobody should look down on anyone who chooses something different. For example, the visceral rush that a rider gets while leaning hard in a turn may be the single driving force that makes that person love motorcycling. They would no doubt adapt and enjoy the other aspects of riding, but it may never match the feeling of two wheels.

Caving in and "just getting a convertible" is perfectly fine once someone can't do two wheels anymore. It's not narrow minded. Why have the expense of a bike if you just aren't getting your fix anymore? For those that can? Great!

#35 · (Edited)
Just got back from a fun weekend at BBB in Fayetteville ... Rode the Wing down early Sat morning to the Hannigan display, before some of the 450k bikes and bikers showed up... Meet Ruth and Dave Hannigan again..Spent over an hour in good conversation before anyone came around... Saddled up and took the reverse trike for a spin.... Very impressive... Very solid...I could feel the quality in the build...Didn't feel like I was being thrown around as much like when I rode the Can..It's a little heavier in the steering in the parking lot but is finger lickin easy to steer when up and running... Does not use rack and pinion.. Dave said they couldn't get the slack out of the rack and pinion.....

I mentioned about my MOPs hiway pegs and he said they could accommodate them with the floor boards..including my Kuryakyn passenger hiway pegs.... They have reduced some of the pricing by a couple of hundred dollars as well... They have 2 versions.. the only difference is the lower nose and smaller compartment on the sport version as opposed to the larger compartment on the touring ... When I'm ready I'm pretty sure this is the way I will go...Which ever way you slice it.. the conversion is still not cheap ... just under 15 grand.... that's with everything ... out the door...Got to remember pain is temporary.. Nother nice thing is you don't have to jack with a rake kit .. or fight the rear differential that wants to center the trike up all the time....Accept for the lean and the steering .. It felt very much like I was riding my 2 wheeler...

#37 ·
For all the folks who ASSUME that someone who likes riding a trike can't ride a 2-wheel bike anymore.... well you assume wrong. I LIKE to ride a trike. I like to ride my motorcycles. Thanks to everyone who offered their opinion of why not to ride a trike because it just isn't macho enough... you are right! I am a wimp because I enjoy riding trikes! I also ride my motorcycles real slow and never lean because I am too old and scared. Again, thanks for sorting this issue out for me. Lordy, opinions are like... well you know the rest.

#38 ·
I missed where anybody made that assumption, or suggested any such thing. I skimmed back over it again and can't find it. Maybe you could qoute the post where you picked up on that vibe?

:shrug:

#40 ·
Very interesting thread. I've never ridden a trike, but tried a Can-Am and did not enjoy it in the least (nor did my wife as passenger, and she was the one pushing for us to at least try the Spyder before we bought our new Goldwing). I had never heard of the Hannigan, and it seems to get good reviews here, but are there other conversion companies to consider that convert a Goldwing into a reverse trike? For the Hannigan conversion, do you need to travel to them (where?) or is it a kit that a Honda dealer can order and perform the conversion for you? Most likely in just a few years I will have to make a change. At 73 I can ride the GW just fine, even two up, but will admit that sometimes at a stop I feel less than fully comfortable with two up and almost 1,300 pounds on my left leg. I had thought about adding "Landing Gear" at some time in the future, and at under $4K it is a pretty reasonable conversion, but now thinking that I should at least learn more about quality reverse trike conversions. Advice and recommendations much appreciated.

#41 · (Edited)
Your Northwestern Illinois location would appear to be ideal for you to scoot down to the factory in Ky.. Grab a rental car ..visit the sights for a couple of days while Hannigan does your conversion .. then ride your new RT back home....

There are not a whole lot of Hannigan conversion shops around... I did talk with Dave Hannigan about becoming a dealer.. With my background in the Tool/Die business it shouldn't be much of a problem to get into... I already have most of the gear needed and a heated shop.. However, I would have to buy 2 kits to get started and go to Ky for dealer training... I am interested but not sure how much I want to give up my free time for assembling trike kits.... I guess I could schedule projects based on my own time frame .. but that's not necessarily a good thing for the customer....

#45 ·
#46 ·
Dunno , but this thread may end up in trikes.. figured I would start here as there may be 2 wheel riders who are contemplating going 3 wheels sometime...

Seems we aught to have enough riders with the reverse trike setup ... How is it working out... I know they cost a lot of money .. but try to give an honest observation .. It may have been the best thing you ever did...or you may secretly have buyers remorse.. Especially looking for comparisons if you test rode several different brand names before you plunked down the gold...

I rode a new Cam Am just for fun... Seems like the steering was so sensitive like it wanted to oversteer... Was told that was normal.... and that it wasn't going to suddenly take off in the wrong direction and toss me in the ditch... Also it requires quite a bit of routine maintenance.. Including laser alignment... I don't think a Can Am is in my future.. especially as how spoiled we are with all the integrated systems on the Wing....

I'm hoping for a demo ride on the Hannigan reverse coming up next week at Fayettville Ak BBB.. I really like the look of the Hanni compared to some other reverse trikes... but it's the feel of the ride I'm looking for...
Mar. 4, 2022
I own a 2004 Honda GL1800 Prowler RT Reverse Trike. I really enjoy riding it and feel safe. The ONLY problem I have found was trying to make a tight U-turn. There is no power steering like the Canam Spyders. All in all, I love the bike and the ride.
Motogordo
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.