Which style GL1800 highway pegs? - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
View Poll Results: Which style highway pegs do you prefer and why? Please elaborate...
Head mounted pegs like the Rivco GL18003 Chrome flip-out highway pegs style 5 9.09%
Motor guard / crash bar mounted pegs (there are different brands) 50 90.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Rivco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGrey View Post
I like these because I rarely have the need for HWY pegs, but on longer rides when I want them I have them and when not using them they are very discreet and hidden away which gives a much cleaner look IMO.

I bought these for my bike, for the same reasons. They do look great. However, for longer trips, they just weren't comfortable, enough, for my legs. I purchased MOPS, and they work really well, for me. So I currently have both on the bike. I should probably sell the Rivcos. By the way, your bike looks awesome!
GoingGrey and Clickman like this.

G.Carson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsong85 View Post
I bought these for my bike, for the same reasons. They do look great. However, for longer trips, they just weren't comfortable, enough, for my legs. I purchased MOPS, and they work really well, for me. So I currently have both on the bike. I should probably sell the Rivcos. By the way, your bike looks awesome!
Who makes these things. never seen this style before. Would like to maybe get a set and try out

2006 Shadow Aero 750
2012 GoldWing Comfort Audio
Sena SMH 10
Sena SM10 (Not really much use)
SoCal Driving/fog lights with switchback signaling
FogLight Switch mod to red led indicator on switch when on
Handlebar 2 port USB mount
RokStraps
Rotax 2 gal. Spare gas container
Voltage Indicator LED
Key-Left-On Flashing LED and Beeper
Auto Turn Signal Cancel deactivation (SUCCESS)
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickman View Post
Who makes these things. never seen this style before. Would like to maybe get a set and try out
https://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-ca...6b-chrome.html

Peace, Whiskey.

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I'm going off my Kury Ergo IIs due to drag and have been eyeing the MOP GF - vertical mount for tall-ish riders (straight legs with 32" inseam).

Any comments from even taller riders?

Reading the MOP stuff, it seems to be the model for me. OTOH, looking at all the pics, it seems to put my foot a good bit further back than my current pegs so I won't be stretching out, just gaining another foot position. At $330, I may just shake a leg now and then and watch for some used / seconds.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
I'm going off my Kury Ergo IIs due to drag and have been eyeing the MOP GF - vertical mount for tall-ish riders (straight legs with 32" inseam).

Reading the MOP stuff, it seems to be the model for me. OTOH, looking at all the pics, it seems to put my foot a good bit further back than my current pegs so I won't be stretching out, just gaining another foot position. At $330, I may just shake a leg now and then and watch for some used / seconds.
That's where I'm at. Have 2 sets of Kury based stuff on the shelf that I rarely used because I don't like the spread position and they would drag if I really pushed so I took them off and I've done the last 20K miles or so with nothing.

I'd like to try the MOP's that mount on the vertical bar...but at $330...I can deal with just shaking a leg here and there. It would be nice to have something for days longer than 600 miles. But I only do 5 or 6 of those a year and can just deal with being cramped for a bit.

(besides....after doing 400 miles on my KTM with it's rock hard seat, forward bars and skinny foot pegs.... the stock Wing feels like a recliner)

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Is there any kind of show where they demo all these various brands .. Im tired of laying out 300 bucks "just to try"...
milkmaster and carsong85 like this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750
2012 GoldWing Comfort Audio
Sena SMH 10
Sena SM10 (Not really much use)
SoCal Driving/fog lights with switchback signaling
FogLight Switch mod to red led indicator on switch when on
Handlebar 2 port USB mount
RokStraps
Rotax 2 gal. Spare gas container
Voltage Indicator LED
Key-Left-On Flashing LED and Beeper
Auto Turn Signal Cancel deactivation (SUCCESS)
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

I'm quite happy with my Ergo II pegs. I tend to only use one at a time, that way it gives my knees a break, stretches my back a little, changes the weight distribution on my butt, and at the same makes it a little easier to react quickly if I need to (one foot is always either on the break or ready to downshift).

I can definitely see how the MOPs would help on long stretches of highway, I just can't justify the expense in relation to the amount of straight-line highway miles I travel.

2002 GL1800 w/ 70,000+ miles
Full Race Tech suspension, Avon Cobra tires
Windbender windscreen w/rake & electric option
OEM CB, BikeMP3, Mic Mutes
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
...been eyeing the MOP GF - vertical mount for tall-ish riders (straight legs with 32" inseam).

6'2" with 35" inseam.
I've got their GQ's. Used their "Making sense of your options" page to help make my decision.
My primary concern being clearance, I chose the shortest legs (9 1/2") & blocks with least drop (30).
With them mounted as high as possible on the vert this gives me roughly 10" of ground clearance with pegs deployed. I still regularly drag 'em in the turns but with them spring loaded they jus "float" upward, no biggie.
I only have two issues with them, you gotta throw your legs pretty high to get on 'em, & ya gotta kinda hook 'em with your heels. This gets tedious on a long ride day whereas with fix mounted you're jus' on & off easier. I'm only on top of the pegs when we're carvin' up good road, the rest of the time I usually ride over the top of them, easier to jus throw your legs over than try & catch them (but I've scraped many a heal in a turn this way).
Didn't figure I could fix mount any peg high enough to clear and still be comfortable (although sometimes I'm still tempted to try it). Mick O Pegs have been the perfect compromise between comfort & clearance for me, YMMV...

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/page13.php
Model Designations (i.e. Model E.5D):
The first letter & number (E.5) identifies the 'Leg' used. The 'Leg' is the long flat bar between the mounting 'Block' and 'Peg' on which you place your foot.
'Offset' is how far the two bends move the 'Peg' out (.5 = 1/2 inch).
The second letter identifies the mounting 'Block' (D).

'LEGS' for Gold Wings:

D is 12 1/2" long with a 1 1/2" offset.
E is 12 1/2" long with a 1 1/2" offset and a 20 degree twist (for mounting Pegs outboard).
E.5 is 12 1/2" long with 1/2" offset and a 20 degree twist.

G is 9 1/2" long with a 1 1/2" offset and a 20 degree twist.
K is 9 1/2" long with two unequal bends.

Mounting 'BLOCKS' for Gold Wings:

A mounts on the horizontal engine guard and allows the 'Leg' to drop about 45 degrees.
B mounts on the horizontal engine guard and allows the 'Leg' to drop about 38 degrees.
D mounts on the horizontal engine guard and allows the 'Leg' to drop about 30 degrees.
L mounts on the horizontal engine guard and allows the 'Leg' to drop about 20 degrees.
F mounts to the vertical engine guard and allows the 'Leg' to drop about 45 degrees.
Q mounts to the vertical engine guard and allows the 'Leg' to drop about 30 degrees.

Hoosier Daddy and Big_Bird like this.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Not a comment on MOPs (sorry), but I do have one on the Ergo IIs. I had the Ergo IIs for a while and those were the first thing that touched down when cornering (really made me nervous since they don't have any give!). I switched to the spring-loaded Ergo IIIs. I can have the highway pegs at the same spot when in use, but now they come up a bit when I take my feet off. Now, the first thing that touches down are the stock foot pegs (and those have give to them).

'08 Pearl White Navi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page