Who sells the most motorcycles, Harley or Honda ??? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Who sells the most motorcycles, Harley or Honda ???

I have heard a lot of talk about who sells the most motorcycles, Harley or Honda.

Harley sells more cruisers.
Honda sells more motorcycles (all types,including Cruisers)

Here is a sales for Honda in 2004
http://www.hondanews.com/CatID1013?mid= ... 0&mime=asc

Here is a sales for Harley in 2005 (more than they did in 2004.
http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4381973

So, in motorcycle sales it looks like the score is

Honda 10,876,000 units in 2004

Harley 348,000 Units 2005

If you say "Who builds the most of LARGE CRUISER style bikes, then HD wins hands down. But HD does feel the burn of Yamaha, Kawasaki,Honda,Susuki, and others. And all HD owners should be thankful of that as they are now getting a pretty fair bike out of the HD gang.

There all good.

PS, I did a lazy search, Just did not look far enough for 2005 sales of Honda.

Now, lets see who builds the most motorcycles with over 100 HP to the rear wheel. And then over 150 HP to the rear wheel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I think if you wanted to compare apples with apples, you'd have to ask who sells more cruisers, not bikes in general.

Mike

"Government is the only enterprise in the world which expands in size when its failures increase." Janice Rogers Brown
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Fire Eating Member

one word.. HARLEY.. last quarter they made 1.6 BILLION. profit...... 5.6 BILLION profit last year.. don't care what anyone says.. they darn sure must be doing something right.... !!!

cosmic

05 - CBC GL1800
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Chromeaphobe

Honda is the largest(sells the most)motorcycles in the world.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 Red GL1800
Progressive Monos/Ultimate
2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

cosmic_chariot

Wow, If they sold 350,000 motorcycles that year, and they made 5.6 billion profit that year, how much did each motorcycle bring ??

5.6 billion / 350,000 = 16000 dollars profit on each one sold. Whew !!!

Maybe you meant to say 5.6 Billion Gross.

Yes, I agree, HD sure does know how to make the money. You gotta give credit where its due. You gotta factor in all the other goodies they sell also. We have a dealer here in town that is into the brand new store and several acre lot, he is open all the time it seems. I know several of the store employee's and they says its tough making it to the end of each month. The other store they had was a nice one, good show room, seperate shop, seperate storage sheds but HD told them to get a modern looking store.

Our local Honda shop sucks, They are for small dirt bikes in the area. The next honda is 38 miles in Durango, Colorado and they are good guys.

I sold my HD stock when it was at 53 a year or so back. Made a few bucks but I checked today and its up a bit. It is 54.64 today, not a bad increase since I sold LOL...

I guess I am stuck with my old GW... What a POS !!!

pronomian

If we compare apples to apples, then we have to compare Goldwings with Ultras, not the cruisers. Big difference. Hondas build cruisers, VTX's Shadows etc. They just don't sell as many of them as HD does. At least I consider my Wing as a Touring bike, not a Cruiser bike. and maybe even a little Touring/Sport bike LOL.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_chariot
one word.. HARLEY.. last quarter they made 1.6 BILLION. profit...... 5.6 BILLION profit last year.. don't care what anyone says.. they darn sure must be doing something right.... !!!
Buying an image costs big money. Just ask the folks in Hollyweird.

"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." - Henry Kissinger, New York Times, Oct. 28, 1973
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:06 PM

I wonder how much of that Harley profit is actually from the sales of motorcycles? I would think the big money comes from parts, accessories, motorclothes, etc. The service dept should be a big money maker for the dealers, along with the prementioned stuff.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:09 PM
T10
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_chariot

cosmic
Got to agree with you...they appeal to the Harley culture buyer. I stopped in my local HD dealer at Christmas to pick up a small gift for a friend and was blown away by everything in there. You could buy things from baby clothes with HD logos to shot glasses. Our local dealer pushes as much in clothes as he does in chrome. He also has a nice place for a snack and sponsors rides on a regular basis. Marketing at it's best! They give people a place to come to, a place to congregate and chat, a place that is clean and comfortable. When is the last time you went to a Honda dealer that had picnic tables and shelter with 25-30 people hanging around just enjoying each other's company? Even in the winter months the HD parking lot is full on weekends because this local dealer sponsors on-going events that produce buying once the public walks in. It's fun, has food, and forms relationships. The basics of human relations is in place at HD and doing well.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Tom
The figures I saw were Market share in 2005, Honda was number 1 with 25% and HD right behind with 24.7%, or something like that. I think it was 2004 or 2003 that HD beat big red for the number 1 spot. Yamaha has been number 3 for the last several years with about 10-12% market share.

2004 GL1800 White TE 111,400 miles retired
2012 GL1800 Blue/Silver 28,000 miles retired
2015 CanAm Spyder RTS White
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:18 PM
JP3
Seasoned Member

Looking at the overall picture, Honda wins on many levels.

I dont know the split, but Honda and Toyota have about $225 BILLION market capitalization. I heard that in reference to a comment that Ford and GM have a market capitalization of about $25 billion.

Keeping all emotion and preference out of the mix, Honda could chew Harley up and spit them out.

Harley is a niche company serving a niche market. They do that very well. But let's keep it in perspective.

JP3 (Joel P.P.P.)

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
www.patriotguard.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3865 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page