Progressive Mono Tubes - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkeene View Post
Raise the fork tubes in the top bridge of the triple clamp 5-10 mm so it sticks above the clamp using the end of the tube as the reference or if you want to use cap as the reference point increase its height above the clamp 5-10 mm. Also if you have not changed the spring on the rear you may want to be thinking about this as you have increased the spring rate on only one end causing an imbalance in the suspension. Raising the fork tubes should help some.

John
Same here - I described it as a little 'bouncy' on what seemed like relatively smooth stretches of road. Raised the fork tubes 10mm above the top of the clamp and the problem went away.

2006 Honda GL1800
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (sold)
1983 Suzuki GS850G (sold)
1982 Yamaha Vision 550 (sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I think my use of the word springy is maybe an overreaction, maybe that I can feel the texture of the road is a better explanation of what I'm experiencing.
Harry Robinson likes this.

Darkside Rider #1215

195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy HP ZP

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy,MJC View Post
I think my use of the word springy is maybe an overreaction, maybe that I can feel the texture of the road is a better explanation of what I'm experiencing.
I was thinking the same thing after taking little ride. It's been a while since I had Tha rough ride. I have no spacer and u I think put in one for reload. You can be feeling dips in the asphalt from loaded fill dump trucks, semi trucks ect . Easy to find out . When feeling bounce move on to center lane or oil slick and see if it go's away. If it dose. Then remove spacer will help this or eliminated altogether if you weigh less than 150 pounds or like 180 and you have one preload spacer in there that could definitely be it I'm pushing like 265

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I just completed my test rides after raising the fork tubes 10mm. The steering response is much quicker, I like it. The overall ride is very good although I still feel the texture of the road. The ride over bad parts in the road is very good, here in Michigan we have some very bad roads. The remaining question is would I install or recommend the mono tubes, yes I would for sure. About my feeling of road texture I may be over sensitive to this than most because I use to road test cars for vibrations every day as part of my job.

Darkside Rider #1215

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

You need to use oem replacement parts . Also check how much fluid you put in also. I put no spacer on the second rebuild and it was smooth as glass. I also had the pogo effect . I also disconnected the anti dive.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
That is a good thing. Run over a dime and be able to tell if it is heads or tails. We don't need no stink'n Cadillac d'Ville ride.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:33 PM

with suspension "one size does not fit all" unless several versions are offered depending on the weight carried thats what you got. you could try tuning them with a different spring or fork fluid, good luck!!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhotter View Post
with suspension "one size does not fit all" unless several versions are offered depending on the weight carried thats what you got. you could try tuning them with a different spring or fork fluid, good luck!!
Progressive monotubes are self contained gas filled cartridges, the oil is basically there to lubricate, not dampen. I don't think changing the weight of the oil will have much affect on the performance. The preload spacers is going to have the biggest affect on adjusting the ride to different weights.
Clamper likes this.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Found & ordered a new rear spring & shock off of a 2016. It will be interesting how the ride is after I install the new rear shock & spring, stay tuned I'll post results. Be patient it's winter here in Mich. need the roads to be free of salt for the test ride.

Darkside Rider #1215

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I just completed my test rides after raising the fork tubes 10mm. The steering response is much quicker, I like it. The overall ride is very good although I still feel the texture of the road. The ride over bad parts in the road is very good, here in Michigan we have some very bad roads. The remaining question is would I install or recommend the mono tubes, yes I would for sure. About my feeling of road texture I may be over sensitive to this than most because I use to road test cars for vibrations every day as part of my job.
The MT are stiffer than the OEM springs which will make the front end taller and shift weight to the rear. If you don't raise the rear accordingly with a stiffer spring, you need to raise the tubes above the tree as you did to put some weight back on the front. If you leave the front too high without adequate weight, it can actually feel harsh as it ends up being over sprung.

Once the balance is restored, it will still be more firm than it was before. A firm suspension will always give more feedback on a smooth road than a soft one that just soaks it all up but then can't handle a bigger bump. Feeling the texture is probably not a bad thing once you get used to it. I'd much rather feel the road than have a vague front end that I wasn't sure about.

Having said all of that...it sounds to me as if it's working correctly now and you're just adjusting to more of a performance feel than a plush one.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page