Never looked - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsong85 View Post
I had a close one, this weekend. Someone, driving a big new Dodge Ram pickup, pulled right in front of me. He was watching traffic coming from his left, and never looked in my direction. I was coming from his right on my side of a divided road. Fortunately, I saw him start off, but I thought he would certainly stop at the median, dividing the road. I was able to get on the brakes, and stop, when I realized he wasn't stopping. He never once looked in my direction. I wish I had laid on my horn, but I was too busy trying to brake hard, without going into a side. (No ABS) You do need to keep your head on a swivel!
Sounds like to me he saw you and just did not want to yield (wait) for you to pass. Another inconsiderate cage driver. Very hard not to see a wing unless your headlights alarm not working.
m2102 and carsong85 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

I drive a UPS truck for a living with over 28 years in a row without an avoidable accident. Yesterday some low hanging branches were partially obstructing my vision of the road. I could see thru them but not quite good enough. When I bent over in the cab in an effort to see beneath the branches a log truck running empty emerged from behind them.

There are so many things that can obstruct a drivers view of you while you are riding your motorcycle, door jams, children in the cab, junk hanging from the rear view, etc..., and then there are the things on the road that block you, signs, telephone poles, other drivers, etc......the only thing you can do to make sure you are seen is to make eye contact with the driver.

Put yourself in a position to be seen and making eye to eye contact while using your lights and horn to make sure they see you. If it's impossible to do this, then you need to be ready to stop or take evasive action.
JW. and carsong85 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]But honey,it was only a short three day ride........
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Never know what cage drivers are thinking....just happened to have my IPhone camera running this day!
carsong85 and Lager like this.

2008-HPNA (RED)
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourman View Post
That's were my headlight modulator has saved me several times.
I also ride with the "Every driver is a Idiot" line of thought.
That has also saved me many times
Just curious, how would a Headlight Modulator save you if the driver never looked in that direction?
Farmguy likes this.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
Never know what cage drivers are thinking....just happened to have my IPhone camera running this day!
At least they did not confuse things by using their turn signals.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Titanium GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Tinted windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank-Shot View Post
I drive a UPS truck for a living with over 28 years in a row without an avoidable accident. Yesterday some low hanging branches were partially obstructing my vision of the road. I could see thru them but not quite good enough. When I bent over in the cab in an effort to see beneath the branches a log truck running empty emerged from behind them.

There are so many things that can obstruct a drivers view of you while you are riding your motorcycle, door jams, children in the cab, junk hanging from the rear view, etc..., and then there are the things on the road that block you, signs, telephone poles, other drivers, etc......the only thing you can do to make sure you are seen is to make eye contact with the driver.

Put yourself in a position to be seen and making eye to eye contact while using your lights and horn to make sure they see you. If it's impossible to do this, then you need to be ready to stop or take evasive action.
The problem I have is that so many vehicles have significant tint in both the windshield and the windows it makes eye contact difficult. Sometimes it is hard to see which direction the driver is looking and under those conditions verifying eye contact is simply not possible.

Terry

DS# 1595
2009 Titanium GL1800 Airbag
2008 Pearl Alpine White GL1800 Airbag
1980 Suzuki GS850G
1972 Suzuki GT750
1973 Honda CB350
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Bank-Shot;3991177]I drive a UPS truck for a living with over 28 years in a row without an avoidable accident. Yesterday some low hanging branches were partially obstructing my vision of the road. I could see thru them but not quite good enough. When I bent over in the cab in an effort to see beneath the branches a log truck running empty emerged from behind them.

Even if you can make eye contact that's no guarantee. A couple years back a cage pulled up to the stop before entering the highway. I slowed as I didn't know if they were going to see me. As I approached the intersection the male driver looked right at me and I felt certain he saw me. Just as I was about to cross his bow he lurched forward as if timed. Scared the heck out of me. When I looked at him he was laughing and seemingly enjoying what he had done. Vicious.

Live to ride, Ride to live

If I have to explain it to you,
you wouldn't understand.
If I don't have to explain it to you,
you wouldn't understand.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:42 AM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:

I agree with you wholly. There are many reasons why we may not be seen and we simply have to be aware at all times to deal with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguy3
The problem I have is that so many vehicles have significant tint in both the windshield and the windows it makes eye contact difficult. Sometimes it is hard to see which direction the driver is looking and under those conditions verifying eye contact is simply not possible.
That is very true and something I find a help is to look at the vehicle wheels, it's fairly easy to spot whether they are rotating and that gives you a clue to the driver's possible intent.
carsong85 likes this.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I wear bright yellow (hi viz) jacket/helmet every time I ride... Not sure if it really helps, BUT so far so good, I believe it shows me up to the other drivers... I've had a couple of times driver(s) "start" to pull out, see me and then stop... A couple of them actually waved a ooop's I'm sorry type of wave....

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

[quote=NCBirdMan;3991457]
Quote:
Even if you can make eye contact that's no guarantee. A couple years back a cage pulled up to the stop before entering the highway. I slowed as I didn't know if they were going to see me. As I approached the intersection the male driver looked right at me and I felt certain he saw me. Just as I was about to cross his bow he lurched forward as if timed. Scared the heck out of me. When I looked at him he was laughing and seemingly enjoying what he had done. Vicious.
Unfortunately there are a bunch of those idiots out there as well

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page