Never looked - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank-Shot View Post

Put yourself in a position to be seen and making eye to eye contact while using your lights and horn to make sure they see you. If it's impossible to do this, then you need to be ready to stop or take evasive action.

After 28 years of excellent driving, i do want commend your solid record, but I have to disagree with your last statement. As MC riders we should not focus on making eye contact with the driver. That is no assurance that they actually see you.... they may be looking through past the MC rider. It is far better to concentrate on the motion of the cars/trucks front wheels. I verify that the driver's front wheels are decelerating to a stop or are stopped at the intersection. Then I make sure they stay stopped as I approach the intersection. If I see the wheels starting to move again and they are accelerating, then I anticipate that they will pull out into my path. I never look at the eyes.... no guarantee whatsoever that they will see you or maybe even they do, but just don't care
Farmguy, carsong85 and Arizona16 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsong85 View Post
I had a close one, this weekend. Someone, driving a big new Dodge Ram pickup, pulled right in front of me. He was watching traffic coming from his left, and never looked in my direction. I was coming from his right on my side of a divided road. Fortunately, I saw him start off, but I thought he would certainly stop at the median, dividing the road. I was able to get on the brakes, and stop, when I realized he wasn't stopping. He never once looked in my direction. I wish I had laid on my horn, but I was too busy trying to brake hard, without going into a side. (No ABS) You do need to keep your head on a swivel!
Glad you stayed safe. I've had times when I was too busy controlling the bike to honk too. Really gets you mad but also really makes you glad you saved what could have been an accident just waiting to happen.

Its good to give out friendly honks at daydreaming cagers I spot getting ready to pull out on me. And I never stay in anybodys blind spot for long if I can help it. When I spot another motorcyclist ignoring things like this I'm concerned for them but I guess thats something that is learned.
Arizona16 likes this.

Last edited by Happytrails; 11-22-2016 at 10:09 PM.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I ride, as others have said, working with the assumption that if the other drivers can cause an accident, they will certainly try!

Now, that said: 1.) I keep my Fog Lights ON at all times. 2.) I have and use a Headlight Modulator. and 3.) Always, always, always look at the other driver. While they may not consciously "see" you, our ancestors, and thus we are "wired" to be "on guard" for any animals that turn and look at us, even in our peripheral vision. It's a subconscious "threat response" when one might be potential prey. I know from my SCCA Road Race days; that when a Corner Worker shows you a Yellow Flag they damned well "expect" to see you nod your head in acknowledgement. A moving helmeted head, turning even slightly to look at you, even from inside a race car is a very noticeable thing.
Tour 1 likes this.

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
And I'll be willing to bet you that airhead was on his cell phone!

Can't tell you how many times now I've had cage drivers on cell phones drift over into my lane. They're literally zombied out and unaware of anything else around them.

Worst ones are the ones drifting over the center line coming right at you, head on, on a two lane road.

Don't know now many more people have to get killed before cell phone use by drivers is banned nationwide.

Rant over!

--------------------------------
2006 GL1800 - Arctic White
1987 GL1200A - Black/Gray
1976 GL1000 LTD - Candy Special Maroon
1971 CL100S Scrambler - Blue/White
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

And sometimes, when they pull ahead a little and stop, it's because they can't see as far done the road as they would like from the original position.

Nothing at all to do with the vehicles they can currently see, but concern about the possible one(s) they can't, and hoping that the new position will give a better view.

( and yes, I'm a firm believer in 'drive like you're invisible' )
cycledude likes this.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:12 PM

The way people drive these days I can't always tell if someone is going to stop at a light or stop sign.

They charge up to the intersection and aggressively brake at the last minute, or at least I hope they do!

I know drivers that need to have brakes replaced 2 or even 3 times in a single year, but if you ask them they will tell you they are not aggressive drivers, the problem is poor quality brakes!!!
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1800 View Post
After 28 years of excellent driving, i do want commend your solid record, but I have to disagree with your last statement. As MC riders we should not focus on making eye contact with the driver. That is no assurance that they actually see you.... they may be looking through past the MC rider. It is far better to concentrate on the motion of the cars/trucks front wheels. I verify that the driver's front wheels are decelerating to a stop or are stopped at the intersection. Then I make sure they stay stopped as I approach the intersection. If I see the wheels starting to move again and they are accelerating, then I anticipate that they will pull out into my path. I never look at the eyes.... no guarantee whatsoever that they will see you or maybe even they do, but just don't care
Exactly right. How can I make eye contact with a blackout shield on my helmet. And if I take time to make eye contact with one guy 5 others may run over me. No , this stuff happens quick. Like I said in an earlier post you need to be running these scenarios thru your head and have a solution ready if and when it occurs. These thoughts should be automatic if your an experienced rider.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1800 View Post
I have heard the eye contact is not a good way to make sure another driver see you many times.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Cool Never Looked

Sometimes, when you are running down a 2 lane county road about 75-80 MPH and you come across a couple of side entry roads on you before you realize it, just do what the little sticker reads on the dash over my GPS/Radio/CB screen. "In case of emergency, Pray!" I try most of the time to anticipate that sort of occurrence but every once in awhile the above just happens. STAY FOCUSED AND PRETEND YOU ARE INVISIBLE!! Some of the best advice out there. IMHO.

Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway.
John Wayne.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
[quote=NCBirdMan;3991457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank-Shot View Post
I drive a UPS truck for a living with over 28 years in a row without an avoidable accident. Yesterday some low hanging branches were partially obstructing my vision of the road. I could see thru them but not quite good enough. When I bent over in the cab in an effort to see beneath the branches a log truck running empty emerged from behind them.

There are so many things that can obstruct a drivers view of you while you are riding your motorcycle, door jams, children in the cab, junk hanging from the rear view, etc..., and then there are the things on the road that block you, signs, telephone poles, other drivers, etc......the only thing you can do to make sure you are seen is to make eye contact with the driver.

Even if you can make eye contact that's no guarantee. A couple years back a cage pulled up to the stop before entering the highway. I slowed as I didn't know if they were going to see me. As I approached the intersection the male driver looked right at me and I felt certain he saw me. Just as I was about to cross his bow he lurched forward as if timed. Scared the heck out of me. When I looked at him he was laughing and seemingly enjoying what he had done. Vicious.
I have had that same thing hasppen a few times as well. The one I like best is at a stop where cross traffic doesn't stop is the smart azz's that pull out farther than the sign just to watch me have to swing out and almost run a curb. You cancer them grinning when you go around to miss them. Now that I have the trike it isn't as bad to get by them.

When you have one, ride it. If you have one and don't ride it, whats the point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page