I think it's time for a new tire... - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskey View Post
...but only if you count dodgin' gators
Truck tire "gators" or real-life gators?

(Guess it doesn't really matter, you're still leaning!)

'08 Pearl White Navi

Last edited by Taddpole; 12-02-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
WE HAVE PLENTY CURVES HERE IN FLORIDA ! PROBLEM IS GETTING BORED REAL QUICK ON THE EXIT RAMPS JUST TOOK OFF BT45 WITH 34,000 ON IT. WITH BEADS.
There are some curves in Florida, usually near the coast and they are found in the grocery stores. They think the skimpy top hides everything and my favorite section was the frozen food isle.
I moved from Florida to NC about 18 years ago, I still don't know why. Sure do miss it, and NOT for the curves.

2005 GL1800
2001 Buell X1
2005 St-1300 ( my Fav)
2001 CBR-1000
After that, who cares, 45 years worth
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddpole View Post
Trick tire "gators" or real-life gators?

(Guess it doesn't really matter, you're still leaning!)
Happened to a good friend of mine coming home from work near St Augustine. Airing out his Moto Guzzi on a back road at midnight and hit a gator crossing the road. Trashed his Lemans but he was Ok due to gear. For all the animal huggers out there, he told me the gator walked away too.

2005 GL1800
2001 Buell X1
2005 St-1300 ( my Fav)
2001 CBR-1000
After that, who cares, 45 years worth

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
I really liked Cobra and they have great traction. I was able to wear the outermost tread off of the rear, but never did wear the outer most edges of the front. The front has a sharply rounded profile and even crazy leans seem to just barely get out there. The rear Cobra's I used all had the same probably benign flaw; the seam where the tread ends are vulcanized together would open up across the tire. Never seemed to affect performance. The other con, is the price; B'stones are a better value and also a very good tire for us up front.

prs
I've been running a C/T on the back since about 18K miles so I can't speak to ANY rear, motorcycle tire, with any authority.

But for the front, the Avon Cobra is very reasonable in price ( $135.88 ) compared to the G709 Stone in price ( $128.88 ). I don't mind spending a few dollars more for the Avon.

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
I've been running a C/T on the back since about 18K miles so I can't speak to ANY rear, motorcycle tire, with any authority.

But for the front, the Avon Cobra is very reasonable in price ( $135.88 ) compared to the G709 Stone in price ( $128.88 ). I don't mind spending a few dollars more for the Avon.
I am not usually so price sensitive and I did not do the math, just noticed some dollars different. At only 7 toad skins difference, the edge for me would go to Avon Cobra too because I really like how its more sharply rounded profile responds so quickly in the curves; especially so with car tire on rear. But between those two front tires in performance, I would hate to have to live on the difference. Great to have excellent choices!

prs
Monk likes this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I retired my M888 with 19,295, it still had some life in it but I had the bike in the shop for a rear so I had him replace both.
I am a conservative rider, in case there was any doubt.

[/SIGPIC]Marc in Sunny California
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
I can't image how you guys get that kind of mileage, I had a Cobra that was shot in 7k mikes........
I agree, i noticed it had softer rubber and had good grip. He must of put it up on the centerstand while in gear. lol
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Most of today's tires have a harder compound in the center, and softer for cornering on the sides. If you ride primarily on that hard compound, such as a lot of freeway riding, which you couple that with the lack of scrubbing rubber in corners, I imagine you can probably get some pretty good mileage out of a tire.

I would rather have fun in the turns and tear up the tires.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:23 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

As I mentioned in another thread I have a M888 on the rear and it is doing close to twice my Stone mileage but it stepped out on me again yesterday - the better wear comes at the expense of grip and though it still has about 5k miles left in it, it's coming off shortly. It's just not worth the risk leaving it on.

Bridgestones front and rear for me and an end to messing with alternatives.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW. View Post
but it stepped out on me again...
Yep, I like tryin' alternatives, but when I hafta use that last word
it's had at least one too many chances! Off it comes!

Peace, Whiskey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page