Road salt - to ride or not to ride - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Ever wonder why so many people have problems with electrical gremlins and bad switches so often? Read this thread and wonder no more. Of course, the failures are always Honda's fault, right?

I destroyed my wheels very first year I owned my bike. I bought in in September of 02, and was so excited about the new bike that I rode it deep into December, ignoring all the salt. By the time it came to park it, it was too cold to wash the bike. When I pulled it out in the spring, I was horrified. It took three hours of wet sanding on each wheel to get all the corrosion and pitting sanded out. They never looked new again.

When I work on radios and CBs, I can always tell which riders ride a lot in the rain. I can tell which riders park their bikes out in the hot sun for long periods. And I can tell which riders ride on salt covered roads. Those environmental conditions all degrade the motorcycle in their own way. The dusting of salt that gets into every crevice of the bike works its way into connectors and corrodes the pins of any connector that isn't weatherproofed. Time is the enemy here, not mileage.

We generally only equate salt damage with the things we can easily see, such as rotted out body panels, rusted calipers and nuts and bolts, etc. But it's the hidden degradation that happens deep inside unseen areas that causes the most harm. I can make a complex bike like the Wing unreliable and prone to breakdown.

Cars have come a long way in the last 40 years to combat the effects of salt and moisture. But motorcycles are not designed with the same corrosion protections as cars are. It doesn't take much to destroy a bike. But it doesn't happen right away. Most of the lasting effects accumulate over time.

Yeah, if you are lucky enough to have a heated garage where you can wash your bike every time you head out into the salt, you can counter many of the effects. But you can't get everything.

Accusing people using salt as an excuse to wimp out from riding in the cold is shortsighted. The effects of salt are well known. It's not a theory. Some people just care about their bikes more than others.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 12-11-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

But life is too short to miss opportunities,,,,and great pix
murf and Hoosier Daddy like this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Just picked up a 0000000 mile 14 last month for a great price. This one will not see salt yet. But I now have a 200,000 mile 01 that I will keep for such occasions

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:18 AM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post

Hey Rail, I hope you wear something bright when you're out riding the snow on that bike else you'll be riding a stealth machine!!
bigkiddad likes this.
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW. View Post
Hey Rail, I hope you wear something bright when you're out riding the snow on that bike else you'll be riding a stealth machine!!

That was a concern at the time . I was wearing red jacket .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:26 AM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
That was a concern at the time . I was wearing red jacket .
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Typically, what is used is a combination of a fine aggregate material combined with the rock salt. This mixture is accomplished on the yard of the agency in most cases utilizing a wheel bucket loader. The finished product is then stockpiled under cover and when needed is then loaded in spreaders and distributed on the roads.

The "rock salt" used to always be sodium chloride and is very corrosive and environmental concerns have been voiced; but it is limited for deicing roads because it will not work when temperatures fall below 20 degrees F. There are several alternatives to sodium chloride being used by many governmental agencies now. This includes magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, and corrosion inhibiting calcium chloride (which is a manufactured liquid deicer). For those interested, the link below has two tables showing the corrosion values per mile of sodium chloride, calcium chloride, and corrosion inhibiting calcium chloride.

http://www.calciumchloride.com/ice.shtml

Do I ride when roads are deiced? Practically never. But I broke a hip in 1972 on my Honda 450 when I hit black ice on a hill. So, my concerns are different.
raw2210 likes this.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-IAiNjZ9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UIxI-wUH2Y

2005 GL1800 ABS: full Monty Traxxion Dynamics
2010 BMW S1000rr: fast
2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT

[COLOR=#141823][FONT=helvetica]"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

"Every man should know his limits" - Steve
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Rail, your picture reminds me of a Bev Dolittle painting. Very nice.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
I've read someplace (on the internet no doubt) that frequent and complete rub downs with fresh deerskin keeps bikes from rusting..?
..? .. is that true?

happy holidays Mike!

your friend in Florida
Den
If u read it on the internet its got to be true ! Maybe the deer accidents is why everyone but me reports problems with their aluminum wheels . Happy holidays to you as well Dennis !

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Nice pic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page