2008 Airbag recall - GL1800Riders
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2008 Airbag recall

Has anyone tried to have their airbag replaced since the recall? I brought mine in for the recall on Monday 12/12/16 and there seems to be a problem with the replacement airbag bolt hole not lining up. They have gotten 2 new airbags and the bolt holes are not lining up. The dealer has been working with Honda trying to figure out what is going on. They are sending a third airbag which should be in tomorrow to see if it fits. The service guy said this is the first replacement to be sent out. Just wondering if anyone has had their airbag replaced yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Had mine done no problem but I thought they just replaced the actuator that deploys the bag not the actual bag.

http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/uu164/motor22pc/

Ride safe
Scott

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

They are telling me the bracket does not line up. I will ask tomorrow exactly what is being replaced.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Do a search on it on here was about 3/4 weeks ago guy posted got his done.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

According to this they change the whole unit Honda WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AIRBAG MODULE WITH A REDESIGNED AIRBAG MODULE THAT USES AN INFLATOR WITH A DIFFERENT PROPELLANT THAN THE MATERIAL USED IN THE RECALLED PART, FREE OF CHARGE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MOTORCYCLE CUSTOMER SUPPORT AT 1-866-784-1870. HONDA'S NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS KA8.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor22 View Post
Had mine done no problem but I thought they just replaced the actuator that deploys the bag not the actual bag.
At first that's what I was told. Now dealer said I need to bring wing in before they take the vin# for my bike and then request hole airbag. So the wing will be down for like 3 week's

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I just called my dealer, gave him my vin# and he's ordering parts. Says he'll call me to schedule the work when they come in.

Legal Disclaimer;
I could be wrong, All comments are IMO, I'm not telling you what to do, I accept no liability, Don't listen to me.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok so the service guy called me today and he said they replace the whole unit. They are working with Honda sending pictures and measurements because the new units do not fit. He said more than likely he would be putting my old unit back in until they can figure out why they are not lining up something to do with the jig. I told him to just tell Honda to give me a new 2016 lol. I gave them until Friday. What a cluster****.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wangmaster View Post
I just called my dealer, gave him my vin# and he's ordering parts. Says he'll call me to schedule the work when they come in.
I just did the same thing. They will be replacing an air filter while they are in there also.

IBA #45699
DS #841
I will Remain Focused
I will Stay Hungry
I will NEVER Surrender
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Just did our Airbag (not that I lost much sleep over a deployment of the old airbag).

Also got a new front ABS actuator under warranty. BTW a few years ago we got a new color display under warranty so we got our money's worth out of the extended warranty.

Only had to pay for an air filter change and to install a couple minor parts. Also bought a new seat and a body panel so our 50K mileage bike looks new again.

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything" ​Charles Kuralt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page