Who is still around? - GL1800Riders
 247Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Who is still around?

I haven't been on this board in many years. Was talking to Galute earlier today and he brought back so many pleasant memories (and one not so great) that it made me want to see if any of the 2004-2010 gang are still participating.
I heard that cancer made Becky pass, sad to hear. We had so much fun teasing her about her yellow "shoes." She was always fun, regardless.
Some names that stick out in my swiss-cheese memory include Galute (Ricky,) Yellow Wolf (Rick,) Tonyb, the jet pilot from north Birmingham, and so many others. Who is still participating? We all went to Falls Creek Falls a couple years, to the Dragon multiple times. (yay,) small group rides (a bunch of those,) and just all around had a great time.

David Merchant

Remember when America had freedoms and due process of law? Born Free. Legislated to Death.
What humankind needs is a manned mission to Mars!

2004 Black Cherry Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Seasoned Member

David M. - There are some of old timers still around. I do not post much but still check to see what's going on about every day or so.

Ride safe.

Hotrod

2014 Goldwing ABS Candy Red
2010 Goldwing Metalic Red ABS
2008 Goldwing Metalic Red
2006 VTX1800C Black with Flames
2004 Goldwing Black
2003 VTX1800C Green
1994 VMAX
1985 V65 Magna Black
1982 750 Honda Black
1971 750 Honda Green
1968 BSA Lighting Red
1963 Triumph 500 Red
1959 Cushman Eagle Red
1950 Allstate White
post #3 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Yellow Wolf sold his (2nd) yellow 'wing and bought mountain bikes for himself and his son. Still truck driving, but had a bad hand injury recently and will have more rehab ahead. Robeth is still around, now near Chattanooga. SSNCOB moved to Crossville and organizes the Fall Creek Falls rides which have moved to May. About 10-20 gather at Cumberland Falls lodge restaurant for lunch from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana on New Years Day. Some have moved to "another" board that sees little traffic since a certain very short trike rider was banned. A lot of exodus was from Hal selling HDL, a lot more from selling the board.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
LIMNCS #632 DS#1085 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP #19
Swapping the Rear Wheel by Laying Her Down (youtube)

post #4 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Much like life, many have moved on to other past times and rarely visit if at all. Would love to hear from a few like Sid Moen, Mesquite Bob, Clarkster, Polecat, Wayneiac and many others that seem to have dropped off the face of the earth.

When the board changed hands there was a purge of many loud voices and it seems that many quieter ones left with them. I think the board suffered from their loss.

I changed names when I bought an orange bike and went from HiyoSilver to HiyoCheeto.
David M. and Bartman like this.

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living.", Theodore Roosevelt
post #5 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Some have died, some have moved on and some were banned. I have been on this site for about 10 Yrs. and I think it's the most civil and informative that it has ever been. Stick around, you will enjoy it.
post #6 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeff in Ferndale WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. View Post
I haven't been on this board in many years. Was talking to Galute earlier today and he brought back so many pleasant memories (and one not so great) that it made me want to see if any of the 2004-2010 gang are still participating.
I heard that cancer made Becky pass, sad to hear. We had so much fun teasing her about her yellow "shoes." She was always fun, regardless.
Some names that stick out in my swiss-cheese memory include Galute (Ricky,) Yellow Wolf (Rick,) Tonyb, the jet pilot from north Birmingham, and so many others. Who is still participating? We all went to Falls Creek Falls a couple years, to the Dragon multiple times. (yay,) small group rides (a bunch of those,) and just all around had a great time.

David Merchant
I'm still around, but not nearly as much as I used to.
I still check in once every week or two,but don't have much to contribute.

Bought a travel trailer and a pickup a couple years ago after selling the Roll a Home, so spending more time in that.
I've only ridden less than 4000 miles in the last two years, but that may change as I recently upgraded my truck and bought a Rampage lift so can have both the trailer and bike next time we travel.
Still five more years until retirement, then I expect to do a lot more riding,and probably will be back here more often.

I know a lot of guys have moved to Facebook, is that "another" forum mentioned above?
Bartman and Red Rocket like this.

Jeff in Ferndale,WA
White 04
post #7 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

I still check in occasionally... but rarely post anymore. And due to a spinal cord injury I sustained in September, I haven't been able to ride since then.

The other posts above have pretty much summed up where & why most of us aren't around here much (if any) anymore. Thankfully I still keep in touch with many via other online mediums... and, of course, the good ole telephone.

Much of the online discussion here in the old days was about the bike (which, was still fairly new)... maintenance... mods... new farkles... and get togethers. Now that the bike has been basically the same for 16 years, there really arent any new parts that are being developed for it... and anything about it that could be said, has been. Add in Hal's health decline, the eventual selling of the business, and then the selling of this board to a non-motorcycle related entity... and it's just not the same place. That's not to say that it's bad, or doesn't still serve a purpose... just that it's not the same.

Tom
USMC: '81 - '89
FAA: '92 - '13
Now RETIRED & Loving it!

'07 Honda GL1800A Goldwing
'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
'14 Dutchmen VOLTAGE 3200 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

Last edited by ATCguy; 12-22-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #8 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

formerly known as "kballowe"

I'm here, since 2007
post #9 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Seasoned Member

It sure is not the same board, but always good to hear from the old timers.

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990
post #10 of 162 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Been around awhile, still check in regularly...
David M. and Bartman like this.

2005 GL1800
USMC 1962 -1966

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page