Replcing Preload Adjuster Line - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:21 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
For what it's worth, I wouldn't go to all the trouble of replacing just the line, as I don't believe you'll see any benefit from it. The reason the preload actuators don't engage at zero is not because the line swells, it is because the actuator is low on oil. I replace the lines on the Traxxion shocks I install simply because it comes with the new Traxxion shock, but I wouldn't go out of my way just to replace an OEM line with a SS line because I just don't think there is any real benefit to doing so, and it is a lot of work to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplay View Post
Fred is right the line is reinforced by a braided steel material then encased in rubber. Swelling is a non-issue. I uses braided steel on my projects only due to the fact they look better but have found no noticeable difference in performance. Refilling the master reservoir is the fix and it does work very well. Also keep in mind as with most shocks the spring adjustment does not stiffen the suspension it just raises the ride height. The ride quality does not necessarily change. The exceptions are air over shocks which do add some additional spring force.
Nope the OEM line for our shocks are NOT stainless braided anywhere . Pix in a sec.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:33 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

I bought myself a used pro level camera and it came in the mail today .
I have thinking about this thread since day one. I have boxes of goldwing stuff coming out of my ears . So let's kill 2 birds in one stone .

2006 rear shock assembly off of buddy's wing 163,000 miles blow shock leaking fluid . Rough wi roads , you'll have that . Replaced with 2012 take off . But anyways

Braided nylon not stainless . So I checked the 3 others ones I have in boxes , they are all really flexible. I would bet they are all nylon braided and not stainless braided on inside. FYI I used a stainless brake line I had here off of god knows what that was just a bit longer when I upgraded to race tech spring and revalved shock way back when.
Seeing is believing I was taught . Internet is full of misinformation . BTW I cut line first using utility knife to skin rubber , than a simple heavy duty kitchen type scissors to cut line quite easily .
I stand firm on braided lines are better , maybe not for our shock but for brake lines they most certainly can be felt the difference I think even by the sedate rider , but I could be wrong .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
So, gonna top off the pump and see how that helps the ride. Looking into the other areas that might be causing some harsh rides..
Progressive springs and tapered all ball head bearing at 38,200 Fork seals replaced (left seal leaking). anti-dive disabled......... AT 47467 fork seals replaced while doing some other work.

Are all of the GL1800 shock springs interchangeable.. will 2016 spring fit 2009 ? This may be something I will do later.
What about head bearings......This morning... Doing the pull test with scales, the right turns at 1.5 lbs of pull. The left fork pulls at 4.5. Big a difference from the right and left. Measured several time and pulled from the top of fork, middle of fork, and lower fork. Lbs. of pull did not change more than a fraction.????????

Now at 57,465, the ride is muchbetter than prior, but fairly rough ride when on a not so good road.
There is no looseness in thesteering, smooth from side to side.

Should the lb reading been similar from sideto side or is something wrong here. with one side being over 4 and the other being 1.5. Any ideas why so different. is that a problem.
jsr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right fork.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	165449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left fork.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	165457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0990.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	165465  

Ride AR
JSR

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:32 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrinhsv View Post
Should the lb reading been similar from side to side or is something wrong here. with one side being over 4 and the other being 1.5. Any ideas why so different. is that a problem.
I suspect you've got a case of the pull from the hoses and cables going from the bars/headstock to the front suspension being more than a little unbalanced. Lots of riders report a pull to one side when hands off. It may prove impossible to get it completely balanced but you can get better than the results you got. In one case, I've used a piece of shock cord around one side upper leg to the body work to even out the unbalance. It worked fine.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:50 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

I'm with Rail, I've never seen standard brake hoses with internal steel braiding, most can be cut right through with a penknife if they're folded over to give them a bit of stretch.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW. View Post
I'm with Rail, I've never seen standard brake hoses with internal steel braiding, most can be cut right through with a penknife if they're folded over to give them a bit of stretch.
Not to be argumentative but it would be impossible for brake lines to function without some sort of reinforcement. Will your pressure washer work with standard rubber hose for instance? The pressure is well over the limit which standard rubber can handle and it normally takes a hacksaw to cut a rubber brake line in two due to the vulcanized steel sheath. In some cases kevlar is used in lieu of steel. Also any expansion will mimic air in the line and rubber hoses alone would never do, your braking power would be zero.
average pressure readings will be in the 1000 to 2500lb range for most applications. The line on the shock maybe reinforced with nylon or some fabric as the pressures are substantially less.

In any case changing out the line on the shock with exterior braided is a solution to a nonexistent problem

"Take the right turn"
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:18 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplay View Post
Not to be argumentative but it would be impossible for brake lines to function without some sort of reinforcement.
They do have reinforcement but it's fabric not steel. Hydraulic lines for use on tractors and general hydraulic equipment do use steel under the outer rubber but they're much less flexible than brake hoses.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Rail are the pics supposed to load a larger version when clicked on?

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post
Rail are the pics supposed to load a larger version when clicked on?
Every time I click on an attached photo, screen goes to a shaded screen. Never opens the photo. I have hose replacement from Traxxion if and when I need one.

So back on topic, difference in scale reading 1.5 one 4.5 on the other is from wiring harness or hose interference? I will check.

Ride AR
JSR
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrinhsv View Post
Every time I click on an attached photo, screen goes to a shaded screen. Never opens the photo. I have hose replacement from Traxxion if and when I need one.

So back on topic, difference in scale reading 1.5 one 4.5 on the other is from wiring harness or hose interference? I will check.
jsr, your pics load larger, but rail's don't -- at least the way I'm doing it.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page