2017 New Years Resolution for me and my fellow Riders - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
This has a lot to do with personalities also.
There is a limit to my being a "people person" or trying to make new friends.
27 1/2 years working in a Maximum Security prison changed my outlook on people.
I trust no one until they prove otherwise.
The more people around me means the more people I have to pay attention too.
I can't change that.
Believe me I have tried.
When I am with people and have had enough, I just leave.
That is why I don't do rallies.
My point to all this?
Riding alone and just being VERY selective of the people I have around me works for me.
Sitting around just talking for hours is boring and stressful to me, not enjoyable.
I don't like drama.
The more people I have around me eventually creates more drama.
Is not wanting to have tons of friends, people around me or not hanging out with strangers make me wrong?
Maybe to others, but not to me.
Sorry, I got off track for a second, but I wanted to shed some light on me enjoying riding alone or with few others.

Doug
Doug ...No problem ... I agree with a lot of what you said right there. Got to be selective. I don't like a lot of drama either. I socialize a little at rallies but I'm way more about going for a ride than hours of chit-chatting. When egos start talking I start walking but I've been able to sort through a lot of that chaff and met some great people at rallies that have become solid riding partners.

Donnie

Donnie
Monk, 2WheelNut and flat6bagger like this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Donnie, I only met you for a second at the RTE in Champaign,Il.
Trust me when I tell you this..you for sure are one of the people I respect and would enjoy riding with.
I know from listening to people, reading your posts and the fact that you have more miles than I will ever dream of riding that you are someone I would learn from.
I hope to share some miles with you someday.
Be well,thanks for understanding and may every mile be a safe and enjoyable one for you.

Doug
Donnieontheroad likes this.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Hardazz!! Lmao
flat6bagger likes this.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
Hardazz!! Lmao
You only think you know me Shooter.
I am as vicious as a watermelon wait and you will find out. hahaha

Doug
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Do they make a helmet that big !! ???? they say cant teach an old dog new tricks ! Hope there wrong ! Lol. See ya on one of rides this year.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Seasoned Member

I ride to camp and travel to sight see this great country. I enjoy showing up at a motorcycle meet and greet but I am the guy camping, no matter if the meet and greet is at a motel.

I motorcycle camp. I cook my own food. I make my own coffee and carry a thermos for coffee during the day. I prepare myself breakfast in the morning and put aside a sandwich and a snack for the road. My evening meal is already planned. I have to set and break camp each and every day.

I once meet some guys from the Goldwing Owner's Forum at Glacier National Park and they all stayed in town at a motel. I was the only one camping in the park. It was a 4 day event. I rode with them for one day. The rest of the time, I was enjoying the park and my neighbors in the campground. That is where I am comfortable. My cell phone didn't work up there and I really didn't care.

I have done some trips with my girl friend going on the motorcycle by ourselves. I have done some trips with one or two other guys. I won't do more than three total. Tried it. Showing up at a meet and greet where there is 25 guys is good. Trying to get someplace with 25 guys, not so good.

Save the political discussions for another time. If I want to hear a Rush Limbaugh rant, I will tune in on the radio.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

ďLet me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.Ē Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnieontheroad View Post
Every New Year brings Resolutions that come and go but there is one in particular that Iím hoping that everyone will adopt, or re-commit to, and become ingrained in all of us that love to ride our Goldwings in the coming year(s).

That is to ďRide Your Own RideĒ Yes, I know we have all heard this phrase a million times and we all think we do that every time we throw our legs over our Goldwing and go for a ride with friends but the truth is we often donít follow this rule for a variety of reasons.

Iím going to start off by saying that this post is not a comment on any one in particulars riding skills as I myself am often in violations of this Golden Rule of motorcycle riding. So what follows is my opinion only and Iím sure other will chime in with their own take. This will benefit us all because itís a smart man that learns from his own mistakes but itís a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.

A little background. This last year (2016) there were 3 of my friends that were on rides with a group that I was a part of that went down during our rides. This has caused me great distress to see this happening over and over again not to mention the physical injuries and pain caused by these incidents to those that went down. Yes Ö every group ride has itís own dynamics and we should all seek to ride with groups that share our pace and skill level. However, in the real world that just does not always happen when we meet up for many of our group rides throughout the year. To often our emotions get the better of us during those situations and all of a sudden it becomes a contest of who can ride the fastest or thinking that I donít want to be the guy that holds up the entire group and subsequently riding outside of your comfort zone. Because of this I have started to ensure that each ride I participate on or am leading in the future we all get a safety briefing from the leader and any others that have input, to emphasis the importance of ďRiding Your Own RideĒ and any other safety points or suggestions to keep things safer.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my riding buddies and friends on this forum and hereís to having a safe year of Riding Our Own Ride in 2017.

In this same spirit Ö I am personally in the process of modifying my own riding behavior to include wearing a helmet which is something I have not always done in the past. Donít know if Iíll succeed all the time but Iím going to try to do better in this New Year.

Letís have a Safe Riding Year in 2017 Ö and letís be careful out there.

Donnie
All good points and best wishes for you and all of us as we enjoy the ride safely.

I typically tell people that are worried about "keeping up" that the thing that really delays the group is when someone crashes. Nobody cares if you are a couple minutes behind because you were smart enough to arrive safely but it tends to ruin everyone's day when somebody crashes.

Not trying to spread guilt as obviously, it's worse for the guy who crashed, but it ends up being a bad day for everyone. Nobody wants to see their buddy crash. When it happens, the fun in the ride instantly stops and it becomes a recovery mission for the downed rider and their bike.

I'd MUCH rather wait at the next turn for someone than to have to turn around and find them in the ditch. It's important to remember this when you feel compelled to cut into your safety margin to "keep up". The best way you can keep up is to arrive at the next turn safely.

Side note... Donnie...about the helmet... whether or not you wear it all the time or not, at least try and have it with you in your saddlebag for when you cross into states with helmet laws.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post

Side note... Donnie...about the helmet... whether or not you wear it all the time or not, at least try and have it with you in your saddlebag for when you cross into states with helmet laws.
Senior Moment .... lol ... promise that won't happen again.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
Do they make a helmet that big !! ???? they say cant teach an old dog new tricks ! Hope there wrong ! Lol. See ya on one of rides this year.
LOL .. I'll try to squeeze in there. See ya in the new year.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I ride to camp and travel to sight see this great country. I enjoy showing up at a motorcycle meet and greet but I am the guy camping, no matter if the meet and greet is at a motel.

I motorcycle camp. I cook my own food. I make my own coffee and carry a thermos for coffee during the day. I prepare myself breakfast in the morning and put aside a sandwich and a snack for the road. My evening meal is already planned. I have to set and break camp each and every day.

I once meet some guys from the Goldwing Owner's Forum at Glacier National Park and they all stayed in town at a motel. I was the only one camping in the park. It was a 4 day event. I rode with them for one day. The rest of the time, I was enjoying the park and my neighbors in the campground. That is where I am comfortable. My cell phone didn't work up there and I really didn't care.

I have done some trips with my girl friend going on the motorcycle by ourselves. I have done some trips with one or two other guys. I won't do more than three total. Tried it. Showing up at a meet and greet where there is 25 guys is good. Trying to get someplace with 25 guys, not so good.

Save the political discussions for another time. If I want to hear a Rush Limbaugh rant, I will tune in on the radio.
Totally understand where you are coming from Larry.
Although I do not camp.
This year I will actually try to make a few longer rides instead of long day runs.
My schedule this year should allow it.

Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page