2017 New Years Resolution for me and my fellow Riders - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
Totally understand where you are coming from Larry.
Although I do not camp.
This year I will actually try to make a few longer rides instead of long day runs.
My schedule this year should allow it.

Doug
I try not to put in in total financial terms, but one sentence sometimes makes sense: How long and how far can a $1000 take you? For some, that is merely a 3 day weekend.

My 10 day trip through Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Montana and back to Seattle costs me less than $1000. My camping costs was less than a $115. 3 of those nights were at free camping. Starbucks $0 and I love my coffee.

The picture below is at one of the free sites. I took the picture before I set camp.

This was a nature preserve in Nevada north of Las Vegas off of the freeway heading north on a state highway. The guys next to me were catching and eating catfish and drinking beer.

This place below costs me $10 for the night:

I am taking the picture right over the top of my tent. I didn't bother to put on the rain fly that night. The sites were $20 a night but there was another motorcyclist there and he offered to share his site with me to split the costs. His tent is on the left.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter
2007 Kawasaki 900cc Custom Lt
2011 Honda 125cc PCX Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Last edited by larryinseattle; 01-02-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Larry I see why you like to camp.
Beautiful.
I was raised as a city kid and do not have a clue how to camp.
Sad but true.
Doug
larryinseattle likes this.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
Larry I see why you like to camp.
Beautiful.
I was raised as a city kid and do not have a clue how to camp.
Sad but true.
Doug
Camping and motorcycling seem to go very very well togheter . Been doing it since I was very young. I literally have doubles and even triples of EVERYTHING you need. If you get the desire to try it I will bring EVERYTHING you need and we can camp over a weekend . I know this great mom and pop campgrounds outside of Dodgeville , Wi . Betty and I love it there . I will bring air mattress , tent , sleeping bag , cooking suppiles ( I cook awesome campfire meals ) and whatever else I can think of . All ya need is clothes , pillow , and personal items . I have taught a few to camp as they were in same boat as you . Most loved it , but a few just could never get their heads wrapped around being outside . To me there is nothing better than campfire food , campfire stories , waking up to birds in early morning , and maybe even a rain to fall asleep to at nite. The camping experince is a unique one as campers of all types seem to be family when in a campgrounds . I promise to not have a trail of marshmallows leading into your partially unzipped tent in the middle of the nite for raccon invasion ,, I promise . And yes I did that once to a freind who was being a real peice of work many years ago. I laughed so hard at 2am I thought I was gonna puke . He so deserved it . Still makes me laugh out loud as I type this .
I hate motel rooms as they really frown on campfires in them and I know who slept in my bed everytime I camp .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I just might take you up on it Rail.
Thank you

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't sleep well in strange places and any motel room qualifies for that. So I wake up at 2:00 am and can't go back to sleep. So my day starts at 2:00 am when staying in motels.

When I sleep in my tent, it is very familiar and I can go back to sleep after taking a pee. (I bring a liquid laundry soap bottle into the tent for that middle of the night pee break.) I just empty it out in the morning.

I agree with Rail. I connect with people really well in and around the camp fire, but don't do so well sitting in my motel room watching Judge Judge reruns.

As Rail said, anyone who has been doing this for awhile has good gear that was replaced or added to for one reason or another. I have 4 different tents and always adding and sub-tracting gear. Hanging out with other motorcyclists who are camping will allow you to review how they outfit themselves.

It ranges as to what a person wants to do. I sometimes fish when I camp. I sometimes bring my inflatable kayak when the mission calls for it. Myself, I like to cook and I will surprise those who have not camped with me before the quality of food I prepare while camping. That being said, I am not opposed to using Mountain House freeze dried meals on a trip. As it depends.

Motor campers website has many equipment reviews and ideas on motorcycle camping. http://www.motocampers.com/

I don't do without creature comforts.

Sometimes it is bare bones camping. Here I am setup for the night in New Mexico in Dec. I was on my way from Seattle to Mission Tx.

The cot tent setup at the Grand Canyon:

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Last edited by larryinseattle; 01-02-2017 at 11:52 PM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post

The cot tent setup at the Grand Canyon:

Is that a tent cot all in one? I can't tell from the picture.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1Kx2, 2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Is that a tent cot all in one? I can't tell from the picture.
The products are separate. The tent could be used without the cot and vice versa. I use the cots all the time, but rarely use the cot tent. I have since purchased a new cot tent that is an instant setup.

Here is the youtube of my new cot tent. I bought it on Amazon for $65. Again, one needs a cot as well. This cot tent is new and untested for me as of yet.

The purpose of this cot tent is this: The summer days can get long and the road can get tiresome. There have been times that I have pulled off the road, pulled out the cot and taken a nap. The most annoying thing that happens to me during these naps is biting flies or misquotes. This setup can go up in 5 minutes. I can set this up next to my bike in any rest area and in minutes be taking that important hour nap. An hour nap can extend one's day and make things enjoyable again. It also will serve as a quick set for a short night's sleep behind a church or along side a friendly RV'er, with their permission, of course.

I once was on my way to Glacier National Park and it got late. I rode through the park and all of the camp grounds were full. I rode back to Kalispell, MT and found a motorcycle dealer on the highway going to the national park. It was after 10:00 pm. I just pulled in and set my cot tent up by the front door area of the motorcycle dealership and went to sleep. I was prepared to tell whomever approached me that my bike needed work and I was there to see the service department. No one bothered me and in the morning, I took down the tent and moved on.
speckfisher and MisterK like this.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing

Last edited by larryinseattle; 01-03-2017 at 01:19 AM.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Good post, Donnie, and very appropos to ponder in this new year. Of course "I resemble that remark" having had several get-offs because, quite simply, I was riding above my skill level. So I hope I have finally learned that it's OK not to keep up with the lead dog all day if he's a more accomplished rider or more experienced on the local roads. That being said, all of us can probably identify with the phenomena of getting caught up in the moment...when the weather is right, the bike is running smooth, and you feel one with the bike and the road. That's a fun...and sometimes dangerous...place to be. As Aristotle (I think) said, "Know thyself". I might change that up a little and say "Know thy riding limits!" One more thought that might be helpful: Make a New Year's resolution to take some training to improve your riding skills this year. And if that's not possible, at least spend some time in the parking lot, practicing slow turns, etc. Hope to see you boys out there in 2017!
Donnieontheroad and shojac like this.

​2015 F6B Deluxe matte silver
IBA member #48367
SS 1,000 9/5/11
BBG 1,500 3/16/13
SS 2,000 3/16/13
CC50 3/16/13
Darkside #975
Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
front Bridgestone G709, 36#
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

2017 resolutions

I intend to do more 1 day rides. I live on the front range of Colorado and have countless 1 day trips that are right out my front door including Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, Pikes Peak, The Snowy Range in Wyoming, Leadville and Cripple Creek and lots of ghost towns. I can ride these multiple times and enjoy a different view every time. Because my wife no longer is comfortable riding with me because of her back issues, I try not to be gone overnight.

I can get enjoyment from retracing my ride multiple times because of the changing of the seasons and meeting new people on my journey. I love riding solo as I think it opens you up to meeting more travelors because you are much more approachable as a single motorcyclist.

I plan to do much more exploring this year, something easy to do when not hampered by other riders with their opinions or even by my wifie. I look forward to a wonderful year. Being retired gives me the ultimate freedom (providing the lawn is mowed before I leave for the day ��).

I've enjoyed reading each of your plans for the new year.

Last edited by Canyon Dancer in Colorado; 01-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Most of the time I ride solo. I probably should ride with others more often as I seem to ride slower when I do. I don't like taking the lead as I always wonder if I'm riding too fast for the other rider(s). When riding I try never to be in a rush and try hard to go with the flow. On occasion I've rode with others who will pass across a double yellow line to get by a slow cage. I let them go. Most of my rides are long day trips. I keep telling myself I need to expand my horizons. I would enjoy meeting some of the members here, but I've never really enjoyed camping and motel stays aren't cheap. I've considered investing in a bunk house trailer, but haven't seen one yet that comes with a hot shower and a nice crapper - I need multiple visits in the am

Jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page