2017 New Years Resolution for me and my fellow Riders - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
Good post, Donnie, and very appropos to ponder in this new year. Of course "I resemble that remark" having had several get-offs because, quite simply, I was riding above my skill level. So I hope I have finally learned that it's OK not to keep up with the lead dog all day if he's a more accomplished rider or more experienced on the local roads. That being said, all of us can probably identify with the phenomena of getting caught up in the moment...when the weather is right, the bike is running smooth, and you feel one with the bike and the road. That's a fun...and sometimes dangerous...place to be. As Aristotle (I think) said, "Know thyself". I might change that up a little and say "Know thy riding limits!" One more thought that might be helpful: Make a New Year's resolution to take some training to improve your riding skills this year. And if that's not possible, at least spend some time in the parking lot, practicing slow turns, etc. Hope to see you boys out there in 2017!

Nope, I cannot identify with that.........lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin

IBA# 55527

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post

This place below costs me $10 for the night:

I am taking the picture right over the top of my tent. I didn't bother to put on the rain fly that night. The sites were $20 a night but there was another motorcyclist there and he offered to share his site with me to split the costs. His tent is on the left.

Larry, where is that camp site in monument valley? I am heading out there in May and would love to camp there.

Kevin

IBA# 55527

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
Larry, where is that camp site in monument valley? I am heading out there in May and would love to camp there.

I came up from Arizona and was on 163. There was a resort associated with the site. I believe it was close to the Mexican Hat area. It was run by a Native American group there. The resort was very expensive. I was traveling solo. The camping included a hot shower. I wish I could give you better answers.

There was an RV service there as well. So, you are looking an RV park, resort and camping. The resort was to the immediate right of the picture I took here. These monuments could be seen for awhile on the road.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter
2011 Honda 125cc PCX Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Last edited by larryinseattle; 01-08-2017 at 02:29 AM.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbc212 View Post
Most of the time I ride solo. I probably should ride with others more often as I seem to ride slower when I do. I don't like taking the lead as I always wonder if I'm riding too fast for the other rider(s). When riding I try never to be in a rush and try hard to go with the flow. On occasion I've rode with others who will pass across a double yellow line to get by a slow cage. I let them go. Most of my rides are long day trips. I keep telling myself I need to expand my horizons. I would enjoy meeting some of the members here, but I've never really enjoyed camping and motel stays aren't cheap. I've considered investing in a bunk house trailer, but haven't seen one yet that comes with a hot shower and a nice crapper - I need multiple visits in the am
TMI! Ha ha.
So I guess if we ever do ride, it will be an afternoon ride!

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks Donnie. Good advice and you have a safe 2017!
Donnieontheroad likes this.

LD Rider since '75 and still going.
AMA 672853 (Life)
IBA 8846 Premier
NRA 0415685108 (Life, We really do vote)
Present Rides:
2007 Metallic Orange Gold Wing (#4)

2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Yeah, baby!!!)
2000 Honda VTR1000F
Past Rides:
Who cares?
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Sorry Donnie....just saw this.

I'm a busy guy but somehow managed to get in 16K miles between 4 bikes in 2016. Half of that was either solo or with a friend or my son, the other half was trips with my wife Candi on back.

My hope for 2017 is to get in more multi day solo rides. The family is expanding and Candi loves being involved with it. I do too, but I still have that open road calling...and a perfectly good Goldwing waiting to be used.

I also hope to meet up with some others at these events that always seem to be 1300 miles away in Arkansas. Maybe this will be the year. Maybe I can get in a few trips with my son as well. He seems to fit my FJR quite nicely, and I really do enjoy riding with him.

I do have to say I always enjoy riding with Donnie the most, though. It's only been a few times. Too bad he lives 1600 miles away... So, we just follow each other's trackers.
Donnieontheroad likes this.

Jim

2016 Level 3 11K Miles
2005 Yamaha FJR 51K Miles

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I came up from Arizona and was on 163. There was a resort associated with the site. I believe it was close to the Mexican Hat area. It was run by a Native American group there. The resort was very expensive. I was traveling solo. The camping included a hot shower. I wish I could give you better answers.

There was an RV service there as well. So, you are looking an RV park, resort and camping. The resort was to the immediate right of the picture I took here. These monuments could be seen for awhile on the road.

That little finger sticking up i believe is the sentinel mesa. So that must have been the Navajo tribe park. The View campground.

larryinseattle likes this.

Kevin

IBA# 55527

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
That little finger sticking up i believe is the sentinel mesa. So that must have been the Navajo tribe park. The View campground.

That all sounds familiar. I took the long way from Phoenix to Mesa Verda NP and just "Winged it." Never lost with a GPS and a Goldwing. I was riding solo and didn't have a route planned.

My picture taking was horrible. I went to Arches NP and never took a picture. I need to ride more in Colorado and Utah.

The hidden jewel of my ride was Lolo Pass from Missoula, Montana to Lewiston, Idaho. Riding that solo, so I didn't have to keep up with a group and just rode where the road took me..... If there is a place called "in the moment" that is it. If you have ridden that, then you understand, if you haven't done it, put it on your bucket list.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter
2011 Honda 125cc PCX Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Seasoned Member

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/attac...1&d=1484199801
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150908_113730.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	167577  

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Sorry, I just found this thread. The holidays were very busy in several different ways. So, now it is time to start getting caught up.

Thanks Donnie, this is a very thought provoking topic!!

Every time I get on the bike, the thought goes through my mind, "how do I feel today", and based on that, "what kind of pace should I run"? Often times as I ride, that "how I feel" will change. Sometimes it develops into a faster pace sometimes the reverse. I guess what I'm saying is any ride should begin with a gut check.

The mental conflict begins when your riding with others and their pace is different from what you feel like doing that day. A couple of years ago at Rockies Gold, I started the day leading a ride. And by the end of the day I was in the rear. I just didn't feel like running the faster pace that day.

That day helped me realize how important it is to listen to that inner self and gut check. The ride experience for me was much better than it would have been trying to stay in the lead.

They say "experience is the best teacher"!! It is very important to listen to that experience and "ride our own ride"!!
speckfisher likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 190,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page