2017 New Years Resolution for me and my fellow Riders - GL1800Riders
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

2017 New Years Resolution for me and my fellow Riders

Every New Year brings Resolutions that come and go but there is one in particular that Iím hoping that everyone will adopt, or re-commit to, and become ingrained in all of us that love to ride our Goldwings in the coming year(s).

That is to ďRide Your Own RideĒ Yes, I know we have all heard this phrase a million times and we all think we do that every time we throw our legs over our Goldwing and go for a ride with friends but the truth is we often donít follow this rule for a variety of reasons.

Iím going to start off by saying that this post is not a comment on any one in particulars riding skills as I myself am often in violations of this Golden Rule of motorcycle riding. So what follows is my opinion only and Iím sure other will chime in with their own take. This will benefit us all because itís a smart man that learns from his own mistakes but itís a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.

A little background. This last year (2016) there were 3 of my friends that were on rides with a group that I was a part of that went down during our rides. This has caused me great distress to see this happening over and over again not to mention the physical injuries and pain caused by these incidents to those that went down. Yes Ö every group ride has itís own dynamics and we should all seek to ride with groups that share our pace and skill level. However, in the real world that just does not always happen when we meet up for many of our group rides throughout the year. To often our emotions get the better of us during those situations and all of a sudden it becomes a contest of who can ride the fastest or thinking that I donít want to be the guy that holds up the entire group and subsequently riding outside of your comfort zone. Because of this I have started to ensure that each ride I participate on or am leading in the future we all get a safety briefing from the leader and any others that have input, to emphasis the importance of ďRiding Your Own RideĒ and any other safety points or suggestions to keep things safer.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my riding buddies and friends on this forum and hereís to having a safe year of Riding Our Own Ride in 2017.

In this same spirit Ö I am personally in the process of modifying my own riding behavior to include wearing a helmet which is something I have not always done in the past. Donít know if Iíll succeed all the time but Iím going to try to do better in this New Year.

Letís have a Safe Riding Year in 2017 Ö and letís be careful out there.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Donnie, good advice, I was one of the three that went down last year. I think we all know where our comfort zone is, but it takes only a fraction of a second to get in trouble. I hope 2017 will be a safe year for everyone. HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone.

Gene
Sikeston, MO.
Home of Lamberts Throwed Rolls
2006 GL1800 Titanium With ABS, Nav
Darksider 559
Traxxion Full Monty
2003 Honda Siverwing
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Very good advice Donnie !!!

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Well said. I'm a big fan of riding my own ride. I learned that mountain biking with guys that were WAY better than me, and I've applied it to my motorcycling.

I've had an up and down year for riding with others. I do have a small gaggle of people I ride with now and then that are good folks and good riders, play by big boy rules, and act like adults. I tried broadening out a bit and rode with a couple of other gaggles, but am mostly done with that -- folks going down, folks doing stupid things (blocking, stopping in stupid places, etc.), and trying to ride tight formations like they were in the Blue Angels, WAY above their skill levels and even horizons. It's not enough just to ride my own ride, but when they start riding too close to my ride, I need to ride away.
Weege likes this.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Good advice for group riders.
That being said, this is exactly why I ride alone or with a max of 2 others.
I ride to have fun and relieve stress.
Group rides are neither fun nor stress free to me.
I talked myself into two group benefit rides this past Summer.
I thought I would help a good cause.
In both cases I left after the second stop.
One ride was a benefit ride for a Police Officer that him and his K9 partner who were killed by a drunk driver.
Almost every rider was slamming alcohol down their throats.
I could not stand it and didn't feel like risking my life, so I left.
I assure you this coming riding season I will NOT do any group rides.
Honestly, I prefer riding alone and ride by myself most of the time.
No rules.
No worrying about what the next rider is doing, etc.
I used to tell my friends all the time, "if your ride is more than you, me and one other, don't bother inviting me."
Now they don't call and that is fine with me.
I will meet up with a group on RTEs, etc., I just won't ride with them on the group rides.

Doug
thekid and Dave.David969 like this.

Last edited by flat6bagger; 01-02-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I ride with three other guys that have the same skill level as myself. We have known each other for years and always know how the others will react. I don't like riding with people whose skill level is much better or much worse than mine. It makes for a long day.
thekid and revrunt like this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
I ride with three other guys that have the same skill level as myself. We have known each other for years and always know how the others will react. I don't like riding with people whose skill level is much better or much worse than mine. It makes for a long day.
The problem is that someone other than your skill level is "your" perception of what their level is.
I find most people feel they are better than an average rider.
Ego.
Riding through curves faster than someone else for instance does not necessarily mean you are a more skilled rider.
It just means you can go through curves faster and nothing more.

Doug
revrunt and Dave.David969 like this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Doug I'm not gonna just ride by myself. That's not fun all the time. I've logged over 10,000 miles with one of these guys and several thousand with two others. For me that's what motorcycling is all about. Fellowship with guys that are like minded. Seeing new roads and attractions and sharing that with a brother. I ride solo sometimes , mostly when I'm working on my skills. All the time would be boring.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
Doug I'm not gonna just ride by myself. That's not fun all the time. I've logged over 10,000 miles with one of these guys and several thousand with two others. For me that's what motorcycling is all about. Fellowship with guys that are like minded. Seeing new roads and attractions and sharing that with a brother. I ride solo sometimes , mostly when I'm working on my skills. All the time would be boring.
I couldn't agree more! Each type of riding has it's pro's and con's. I too used to ride primarily by myself. There's nothing quite like a solo ride to clear your mind and have some alone time which I think we all need from time to time. On the other hand once I started attending some ride-ins and meeting other liked minded people it was a natural evolution to share that experience with others and ride and take longer road trips with others. It added a whole new dimension to and already enjoyable experience. It didn't mean and end to my solo rides from time to time ... it only complemented it.

The trick it to take the time to find those riders that share similar riding styles and some of your same values in life. Of course you're not going to do that by simply riding with someone one time whether it be a bad or good experience. Just like you can't judge someone you first meet by simply one meeting.

It's like making friends in life it takes time and effort to develop close and lasting personal relationships and to keep them ... same with finding good riders and people to share the experience with. Believe me ... it's so much worth the effort but it doesn't prevent you from riding solo when you choose and when we keep the "Ride Your Own Ride" mentality in mind it allows us to do that easier and minimizes the risk of leaving a potential new friend and rider crashed along side the road somewhere.

Donnie

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 103,109 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

This has a lot to do with personalities also.
There is a limit to my being a "people person" or trying to make new friends.
27 1/2 years working in a Maximum Security prison changed my outlook on people.
I trust no one until they prove otherwise.
The more people around me means the more people I have to pay attention too.
I can't change that.
Believe me I have tried.
When I am with people and have had enough, I just leave.
That is why I don't do rallies.
My point to all this?
Riding alone and just being VERY selective of the people I have around me works for me.
Sitting around just talking for hours is boring and stressful to me, not enjoyable.
I don't like drama.
The more people I have around me eventually creates more drama.
Is not wanting to have tons of friends, people around me or not hanging out with strangers make me wrong?
Maybe to others, but not to me.
Sorry, I got off track for a second, but I wanted to shed some light on me enjoying riding alone or with few others.

Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page