The problem with NOT working and being retired... - GL1800Riders
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

The problem with NOT working and being retired...

The problem with NOT working and being retired is ....

I can't work overtime anymore to be able to afford going to all the rides and trips I want to go on . Iron Butt Jacksonville, DarkSide Ride In, Glockjock's get-together, Tennessee Lunch Run, Colorado trip, Iron Butt Texas, other Iron Butt rides, Ride To Eats - and on and on... What is a person to do ??

Looking at everything scheduled, planned, desired, maybe-kinda wanna do - there just isn't the available funds to do it all. So taking a page from Sir Rail @Rail32 - maybe we can start a donation sub-forum on the board .

What say y'all ??

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Jerry - If I had your money I'd burn mine!! Seriously understand your dilemma. We had several conversations before you went South on us and I remember saying what I had been told about retirement. All the stuff you were never able to do because you didn't have the time is now doable - of course the money is not like it used to be. Still in my opinion the best job I ever had. Hang tough my friend we'll all get through this tough situation. Enjoy and ride safe and long.

Crabby Bob
ssncob likes this.

Retired, riding a Goldwing, loving it!
Darkside #1258 - Double Darkside
Bridgestone Driveguard - 28 psi
Bridgestone BT45 - 40 psi
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Maybe you should start one of those "fund me" pages. It would be for a worthy cause

I bet their are several people on here you have helped that would contribute. Me included!
ssncob likes this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I would never contribute to someone's play fund, and in return dont expect someone to pay for mine....that said, I would lean on the kindness of people in the community to make things cheaper. Like I have my COG membership book, and my GWRRA book on my bikes. Talk to people across the country and see if you can camp in their yard, or **** even stay in a guest room. I called upon some folks I know in PA when I went to NYC a few years ago and stayed in their basement. It was a perfectly nice place to crash and converse and in the end, didn't spend a dime for lodging that night. I'd look more into that in keeping your trip costs down.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

I have been retired for 10 years.
My job now is being there for my grandson and my family.
I can't afford to pay attention, but I don't care.
Yes, you have to pick and choose which ride or other activities you do.
That makes the ones that you do make that much more special.

Doug
Bluehighways and Kbgolfnut like this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Join Moto-campers website at

http://www.motocampers.com/

And learn how to "travel money light."

I am "retired" on SSI and probably don't qualify to be in the same group as most on this forum. However, I do enjoy riding my used 1800 and find a way to camp and cook my own meals on the road. It works. I used to motorcycle / motel travel back when a Motel 6 room could be had for $39 a night. Out here in the west, during the season, a Motel 6 can be $175 a night.

It was suggested to use the GWRRA Gold Book. I have done so and met some very interesting people and been hosted in some very nice places.

Camping in the National Parks with a Gold Pass is 50% off an already fantastic deal.

No KOA's for me.
ssncob, Terryj and gulfrider like this.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post

I can't work overtime anymore to be able to afford going to all the rides and trips I want to go on . Iron Butt Jacksonville, DarkSide Ride In, Glockjock's get-together, Tennessee Lunch Run, Colorado trip, Iron Butt Texas, other Iron Butt rides, Ride To Eats - and on and on... What is a person to do ??

Looking at everything scheduled, planned, desired, maybe-kinda wanna do - there just isn't the available funds to do it all. So taking a page from Sir Rail @Rail32 - maybe we can start a donation sub-forum on the board .

What say y'all ??

Well this is interesting . Maybe for the right percentage I will look into this
ssncob likes this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

We need to figure out how to eat our cake and have it too. Or, is that cookies?????

prs
ssncob and speckfisher like this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
We need to figure out how to eat our cake and have it too. Or, is that cookies?????

prs
That is truly the secert to life . Well my life anyways .
FYI cookies and cake are in same categorie really . But only the good ones .

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post

What say y'all ??
I think that's a great idea. The ones still working could work one day of overtime per month and donate it to a fund for us poor retired folks living on a fixed income.
ssncob likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page