Jumping Ship - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Hal View Post
A friend of mine has one of these bikes your looking at, the Vulcan 1700. He says it is comfortable enough but doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way! That is his biggest complaint of the Vulcan. He really misses the wing for the power band of the GL1800, but because of his size, he just wasn't comfortable on the wing!

Where are you in Canada? West, East? Just a curious Canuck is all!
The Vulcan has two overdrives, 5th and 6th, 6th being only needed at 75-80mph + to gain a little gas mileage. Some guys are leaving it in 6th at 50-60mph and then expecting some torque but at too low of an rpm. Gear that puppy down. Watched a lot of YouTube vids and the bike seems to have lots of power at any speed when shifted correctly.
I do love the Goldwing minus it being a money pit for me . I would not consider it a fast bike for sure. I had a Bandit 650 which felt like a rocket compared to the Goldwing. My brothers ST1300 can effortlessly leave the Wing behind. That being said, I'm not into the high speed thing anymore having three beautiful grandkids now. Soooooo if my next bike, maybe a Vulcan, doesn't have the ability to break track records, i'm ok with that!

Last edited by Bluecyclone; 01-03-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I had a Kawi 1200XX1 and actually enjoy the bike.. That was my first big bike, and when I sold it in 2002, I missed it......... I still see the bike every once in a while... She's still on the road!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #23 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Without reverse, be extremely careful where you park, always back in if you can. Whatever you decide, enjoy the ride!
I moved from a Goldwing to the F6B and had to learn how to deal with no reverse. Simply remember to park nose uphill and you'll be fine. I haven't had any situations I couldn't get out of. My maintenance experience with Goldwings has been different than yours, though. No major mechanical problems except a new water pump at 200,000 miles, which is understandable.
Rapidray likes this.

​2015 F6B Deluxe matte silver
IBA member #48367
SS 1,000 9/5/11
BBG 1,500 3/16/13
SS 2,000 3/16/13
CC50 3/16/13
Darkside #975
Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
front Bridgestone G709, 36#
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #24 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 AM

You are doing the opposite of what I did. I came from an '03 Nomad and '09 Voyager. Put over 40k miles on each before I bought a '15 Goldwing. The Kaws were nice bikes, but near as balanced and powerful as the GW. If I were you, I'd try another GW. Sounds like you may have purchased one that was problematic. And believe me, once you try to back up a Voyager, you'll miss reverse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #25 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Owned an 88 Voyager XII. Great bike and for a touring bike, felt like a motorcycle, something I didn't feel so much about a Goldwing. Also had a Nomad. The Voyager XII was far superior for riding two-up or long trips. The Nomad was SLOW and lacked cornering clearance and was not real great at over 400 mile days.

Went up to Dallas to the International Motorcycle Show that had the brand new Voyager and I had already made my mind up to buy one. I was very disappointed as Kawasaki engineers wanted the seat height to be super low and the seat formed a crotch where the tank sort of interfered with my plumbing, so to speak. The bags were set away from the bike and looked terrible when you viewed them from the front and the windshield with its mounting looked CHEAP. I was sooooo disappointed I ended up buying a used GL1800 in the next couple weeks. I would have bought a Venture but the newer models had somewhat the same seat issue as the new Voyager as Yamaha tried to drop the seat height the same way. the Venture seat wasn't as bad as the Voyager but locked you in. My missus rated the pillion a toss up between the wing and the Venture. The pillion on the Voyager would have to be tossed in favor of a Mustang Wide Nostalgic in any case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voyagerX11.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	165977   Click image for larger version

Name:	nadfi.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	165985  

wiredgeorge
Mico TX 2008 GL1800 Champion Trike Conversion

post #26 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Think I'm going with this one instead

post #27 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
I had an 06 1600 Nomad. I liked the bike. I didn't like the mileage and the fuel recommendation. 35 mpg at best and one had to run premium to boot. I had an SUV with air conditioning that got better than that.

I have another Kawasaki now. An 07 900cc and it runs awesome.
I would like to know what SUV gets over 35 MPG????
I had an 07 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad and always got 40 + mpg. Only sold it because I missed the cruise and reverse on the Gold Wing, The Vulcan is a great bike and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
post #28 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

My 2016 Goldwing ABS is both my first Goldwing and my first tourer. I had been a cruiser rider for many years but wanted more comfort, more features (particularly cruise control) and better passenger accommodations. I was buying new, so I had a lot of choices. I looked at the Victory Cross Country Tour but it felt poorly engineered and assembled to me; the Harley Road Glide Ultra Low (a nice bike but the ride was not up to the Goldwing experience); the Indian Roadmaster (significantly more bucks than the Goldwing, noticeably heavier and I demoed it on hot day and felt that my legs were roasting from the engine heat) and the BMW K1600 fully loaded touring model (way too expensive at $32K, the seat a bit high for my 5'8" height, and for travel, a real shortage of dealers across the country). After much thought it came down to the HD or the Goldwing. Having a reverse gear was a big, big plus for the Goldwing and since I have owned the GW I have used the reverse on several occasions. My wife and I stopped for lunch in a small Wisconsin town and when we finished eating we came out to see a big full dress tour HD parked near us with the rider struggling unsuccessfully to back the bike out. It appeared to have been parked uphill, but I guess the slope of the road was hard to read because it was actually slightly downhill. It took the rider, myself AND my wife to get him backed up enough for him to ride off. I thought I had parked it where by GW could back out, but as I said above, that was not the case. With the reverse, it was nothing to get the bike out to the road and be on our way.

Sometime in the not distant future I may decide that the GW is just too big for me to handle. I do fine now, but at 73 I know that age will take its toll and at some point I will have to be realistic. But in the meantime I would not ever consider getting any really heavy motorcycle, which I define as over 600 pounds, without a reverse gear. So for now that means the GW and nothing else (possibly other bikes offer a reverse but none that I am aware of). I'll just add that when I was taking demo rides this past June, all of the bikes I tried other than the Goldwing were brand new bikes. The dealer only had an old GW for me to try, a 2005 model and I wondered how it would compare to the new bikes I had been trying. Despite its age, and high mileage, the GW was so superior that literally within 30 seconds of pulling away from the curb I had made up my mind and decided that a new Goldwing was for me. It was expensive, but well worth it from my perspective.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF

Last edited by Vito; 01-03-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #29 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Dn
Seasoned Member

can't imagine a Kaw over a Wing.
Old school.
Crookster likes this.
post #30 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Hal View Post

Where are you in Canada? West, East? Just a curious Canuck is all!
His avatar is changed.

IIRC, he is from your neck of the woods (somewhere along the north shore lake ontario)

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page