new to forum, need to hear from ex harley riders. - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member

In the meantime, what this thread needs is pictures.
Here's a picture of an actual Gold Wing, going around a corner.

Here's the Missus, on her four wheel drive utility model.

Note large beach bars
murf, larryinseattle and Tour 1 like this.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Member

So...hopefully you finished your test ride so you have a bit of first hand experience now.

You'll notice right away that the Wing is very smooth and has a pretty strong engine compared to any HD you've owned.

If you look in my signature line, you'll see a lot of higher performing bikes than the Wing. In reality, the Wing is probably the lowest performing bike I'd really enjoy riding but the fact is that I really do enjoy it.

It won't perform as well as a sport bike in the corners but it does EXTREMELY well for a 900 pound bike. Stock suspension is the weakest link but the aftermarket has that fixed if you want it. It's not horrible in stock form, but it can definitely get better. I've spent about $2K on suspension upgrades and my bike is very fun to ride in the twisties. It can't do what my KTM can do, but I literally just rode 250 miles of twisties and then rode 400 miles home in the same day last month and didn't get tired and enjoyed it all. I can't do that on my other bikes.

I also ride a lot with my wife and she's totally comfortable and enjoys up to about 300 mile days and has done some 500+ mile days with me and didn't get uncomfortable (but was definitely ready to stop looking at the back of my head)

The seating position is different than the HD as the controls are more under you than in front of you. They aren't behind you like a sport bike but definitely different than the HD. Personally, I feel much more in control with the controls under or behind me than in front of me but that's more of a feel thing.

The Wings reliability reputation is well deserved. They aren't magical and they are mechanical machines so they do have a few problems like every other bike but you can pretty much assume that the vast majority of them will hit 100K miles without ANY issues. Even better, quite a few of them will double or triple that without major repair costs.

I haven't ridden as many Harleys as you but I got my first Wing around 40 (fairly young) and I like performance like you seem to so we probably have a bit in common.

PM me if you want to discuss more, I can probably help you evaluate the one you are looking at and tell you what to look for and what price would be reasonable for you.

BTW.....not related but if you are shopping....you should really check out the for sale section on this forum. There are some pretty good deals on there right now. I think I just saw an '07 Wing with ABS and full aftermarket suspension for $9K. It had about 100K miles but if it has been maintained, it might be a great bike. That's just one example and I'm not saying it's a good deal or not as I don't personally know the guy other than just seeing the post so you'd need to check it out and find out if it's a good deal or not. But...what I am saying is that good deals do pop up on this forum and a LOT of people do a fly and ride to get their first Wing. Both of the Wing's that I bought (a 2001 and a 2013) were 400 miles away so my first rides on both of them were 400 miles back home.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Track)
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Sold an Ultra last year to buy a 2013 CB1100 (sold the CB1100 to buy a 1980 GS1000G). The biggest downside on a GL1800 is the leg position. You NEED some highway pegs or floorboards so you can move your legs a bit. I find locking my legs on stock pegs painful in short order. I also found the GL1800 seat wasn't ideal (actually I seldom find any bike seat ideal) and went with a Tom Simmons and added floorboards and highway pegs (KuryAkyn) and now the Wing is comfortable. I do prefer a cruiser style ergonomics for the forward position of my feet which isn't easy to do with the flat 6 engine but the mods have fixed that issue. I had an older Ultra (2001) and the wing has more power. Both bikes a bit on the top heavy side by reverse on the wing is a plus. I am not one of the faithful and never got a tat or wore any HD branded gear. I don't wear Honda stuff either. For me, a wing is the top touring bike and I can't compare it to some others, like beemers because there are no dealers near me; there are Harley and Honda dealers within an hour's ride.
davidprej likes this.

wiredgeorge
Mico TX 2008 GL1800 Champion Trike Conversion

post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danl View Post
This is a perfect example of viral advertisement. He probably gets paid for every article he gets published in any big forum. In viral advertisement, the product provides the articles to be published. He provided too prefect selling points as seen by Harley and since Harley advertises here on this site, this site allows Harley Viral advertisement.
I know nothing of this "viral advertisement" of which you speak, but it seems like an odd way to promote Harley. Here's what the OP posted:

"I always had mechanical problems with the harleys, a few were pretty pricey fixes few were cheap and a few left me stranded"

"...slow, and the stock suspension was HORRIBLE."

"the engine is hot enough to pan sear steaks on."

"it took thousands of dollars, and customization to get comfy on the ultra."

"Oh, and the brakes, were god awful on my ultra classic, and even worst on my dyna."

2016 Goldwing (Candy Orange)
2009 Goldwing (Black Cherry) - FOR SALE
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danl View Post
This is a perfect example of viral advertisement. He probably gets paid for every article he gets published in any big forum. In viral advertisement, the product provides the articles to be published. He provided too prefect selling points as seen by Harley and since Harley advertises here on this site, this site allows Harley Viral advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
I agree 100% with this.
The rest of my opinion I will keep to myself.
Waiting for the rest.
Doug
Maybe...as I know these types of post do exist. Or...... maybe somebodies first post was just asking a question before they go buy / test ride a bike they know little about. I figure we'll know pretty quickly by the next post from the OP. (or the lack of one)

BTW... not sure if you actually read the initial post but if you think that was a Harley advertisement, you don't understand marketing very well. Harley isn't going to pay someone to start a thread saying their bikes break down, cost a lot to fix, and run too hot so they are looking at a Goldwing after deciding the HD club wasn't worth it. If anyone was advertising there...it would appear to be benefiting Honda.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS

post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTraveler View Post
I know nothing of this "viral advertisement" of which you speak, but it seems like an odd way to promote Harley. Here's what the OP posted:

"I always had mechanical problems with the harleys, a few were pretty pricey fixes few were cheap and a few left me stranded"

"Oh, and the brakes, were god awful on my ultra classic, and even worst on my dyna."
Exactly.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS

post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
Maybe...as I know these types of post do exist. Or...... maybe somebodies first post was just asking a question before they go buy / test ride a bike they know little about. I figure we'll know pretty quickly by the next post from the OP. (or the lack of one)

BTW... not sure if you actually read the initial post but if you think that was a Harley advertisement, you don't understand marketing very well. Harley isn't going to pay someone to start a thread saying their bikes break down, cost a lot to fix, and run too hot so they are looking at a Goldwing after deciding the HD club wasn't worth it. If anyone was advertising there...it would appear to be benefiting Honda.
I re read the post and added the "rest of my opinion I will keep to myself" and the popcorn smiley.
I forgot to take out the agree 100% part.

Doug
2WheelNut likes this.
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTraveler View Post

Thanks for taking the time to make that post, I was not willing to make the effort.
Farmguy and davidprej like this.

Sheepishly in Christ,
Mike

"Why do I bother to pester you with these disturbing truths? Because the One whose disciple I am taught that we are set free by facing hard truths, not by hiding in comfortable lies."
Brian Zahand

Darksider International #51
2003 Silver GL1800 - SOLD
2010 Metallic Red Level 3

post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
at the end of the day it comes down to what you want. I'm not a very experenced wrench turning. when i had my 1500se the only time it saw a dealership was for tires and oil change. after that when it needed wrenching i learned real quick how to fo it myself. i have an 1800 now and it only saw a dealer for a brake recall and tires. only time it has been in. a well maintained gw will give you many, many miles of great riding. so choice is yours. lots of wrenching or next to none....
davidprej likes this.

When you have one, ride it. If you have one and don't ride it, whats the point.
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

A Wing is reliable, but it still requires more than oil changes

Not to take the prior post too literally but I don't want to have a potential owner misled as to the required maintenance of a wing.

I would agree that the bike can go a very long time (likely even 100K) with literally just oil changes and tires but if that is really all that you do, it will eventually have problems and fail. Going that long doing next to nothing does speak to the reliability of the machine...but the people that go 200K and 300K are likely doing a bit more than just oil changes.

Specific point being...the recommended maintenance for the bike is quite a bit more than just oil changes.

At a minimum, in addition to oil changes, flushing the brake and clutch fluid every couple of years is absolutely necessary IMO as the brake system is fairly complicated and the fluid will eventually break down, absorb moisture and cause corrosion and failure within the brake system if not addressed.

Personally...I change brake and clutch fluid every 2 years, change plugs every 15K, change air filter every 25K, change oil every 5K (with cheap dino oil), change final drive oil every 25K, and change coolant every 5 years.

Some of that is more than recommended service interval and some of that is less, but it works for me and I'm confident that doing this would take the bike to 200K miles or more without issue.

I bought it to ride a lot...so I'm doing stuff now to help it last for the next 100K miles, not the first 100K. (only have 40K on it right now)
SpEd and Rapidray like this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page