new to forum, need to hear from ex harley riders. - GL1800Riders
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Question new to forum, need to hear from ex harley riders.

Well, I need some guidance, I am going to the honda dealership tomorrow to look at an 08 goldwing with 20k miles.
A little about myself, I came from sportbikes growing up, looooooove the speed and smoothness of them, had an 86vfr 700, a 2001 honda superhawk, and then a 2003 gsxr 750. I was 26 when i got my first harley, and have had 4 total. I have always loved honda. I have always thought goldwings were "neat". i liked their looks, i liked all the gadgets and was actually going to buy one back when I was 26, (I am 34 now) but i wanted to join a MC and they mandated you to have a harley or american made bike, so I bought the harley and later joined a veterans MC. I was also talked out of the goldwing because I was 26 (i guess people young cant ride them). I have now gotten out of the club life and I ride a lot still, 20k miles a year or more usually. Most of my riding are trips with the wife on back, and we have 4 trips across the state, and one across the country this year So we are looking into the touring bike. Oh, I also commute 130 miles to work one way! I made a list of pros and cons of going back to an ultra classic or going to the wing. So I guess I would like to know some of the unknowns (to me) of the goldwing from experienced riders and ex harley riders.

Pros for the ultra IMHO are kinda short, with a pretty good list of cons. I always had mechanical problems with the harleys, a few were pretty pricey fixes few were cheap and a few left me stranded. I did find the ride of the ultra very smooth, but slow, and the stock suspension was HORRIBLE. And my least favorite part, the engine is hot enough to pan sear steaks on. and finally,for me, it took thousands of dollars, and customization to get comfy on the ultra. The good thing about the harley is the dealer network and the crazy amounts of people that have them, so i guess its the "in crowd" bike. Oh, and the brakes, were god awful on my ultra classic, and even worst on my dyna.

the wing i'm looking at has highway pegs, back rest, trunk rack, and a few other ad ons, it's white also, and im sick of black LMAO (harley black) I have never been one to care what people think of me, and i like practicality over popularity, so me bein 34 and riding a wing isn't an issue. people already giving me crap for going to look at them i just laugh it off.

So my questions, are the wings really that dependable? I have heard of 300k miles on them? Are they really that better handling, faster, and smoother than the modern day ultra like my year 2012 with the 103 ci engine? Comfort, i find that my low back is murdered after 400-500 miles on the dyna in a day, I used to ride 600 on the ultra and it felt decent (i had to replace bars, footpegs, and seat). For the wing, with the hwy pegs and back rest, the bike should be comfy right? I miss the days of my sport bikes, but need a bike for me and the mrs, and have heard goldwings can get up and go, maneuver well, and hang with a bunch of bikes that are much quicker on paper.

I have watched numerous youtube videos and I can't find many negatives on them, are they really the bees knees? the cats meow? lol After hearing one with aftermarket exhaust, It really pushed me over the edge to set up a test ride tomorrow. I have never heard an aftermarket exhaust on a wing in person, and from the videos, SOUNDS AMAZING.

I'm being long winded, but i'm anxious about the test ride tomorrow, and just want to know if i'm making the right decision of looking away from harley, giving up, going against the grain of the biker world, and now i'm rambling............anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out with this. I just dont want to make a decision and then look at harleys as i pass them and wish i was still riding slow, hot, and unable to brake safely hehehehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 PM

I've only been riding for 4 years, started at 54, and have always drooled over a Goldwing. As an inexperienced rider, I just assumed they were too big for me to handle. Long story short, a friend had one that I tried 3 years ago, bought a used 2010 model and have never looked back. Ride solo 100%. I still have a Vstrom 650 which I like, but every time I'm on it I think, why am I not riding my GW. I've never ridden a Harley, but have talked to people who've ridden both. If you want to be in the Harley club, get a Harley. If you want a dependable bike that is an absolute joy to ride, get a GW. No question in my mind that Harley's are great for being a Harley and for being in the 'in' crowd, but apples to apples, they come up short as a motorcycle compared to a GW.
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

Rode Harley's for 35 years. My last 3 were Ultras. Traded my 2013 Ultra for a new GL 1800 and have been very happy with my choice. The HD is a great bike. The Gold Wing is a great bike. They are different bikes. you couldn't go wrong with either choice but be very honest with yourself regarding what it is you want the bike to do and the group you will be doing it with. All day hard in the twisties with a full load and a passenger then the Honda. Laid back cruising, feet up on the pegs, then the Harley. Do you want quiet neighbour friendly arrivals and departures or do you want to light up all the car alarms on your street at 2am?

Different strokes for different folks. I love my Goldwing. I loved my Harley's.
Terryj, davidprej and Redwing59 like this.

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Good grief, Joe.....after reading all of your post not sure of what you're really wanting from a Gold Wing forum. Of course Gold Wings are dependable. You need to figure out for yourself what suits you. Do it and report back.
mhgoldwing and Dave.David969 like this.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:56 AM
Seasoned Member

You have to decide what is important to you. Buy a 2008 Goldwing, which was made in Ohio, and the the "Harley life" crowd will likely abandon you. You want a lot of power, great brakes and decent (maybe even very good) handling? Buy the Wing. My first GL1800 was a 2006. I currently ride a 2008 w/ ABS. Every time I ride, I still get a big grin and an awesome sense of satisfaction, knowing just about any thing on the road can be found in my rear view mirror with a twist of the wrist. That 130 mile commute will turn into play time. You may even discover you like the quietness of the Wing when it is just the 2 of you. Comfort? I'm 6'1", 240 lbs., 31" inseam. I now have a seat made for me, and with Mic O Pegs, I can literallly ride for 12 hours, if I choose to. Or just want to. Sounds to me you have about gotten yourself talked into trying a Wing. If you don't think you will be content on an Old Man's Bike, don't ride one. Oh, and some of us old guys are not that easy to keep up with on our Old Man Bike.
1st BlackWing and fritzer9 like this.

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place to find out about Goldwings.

If you are going to tour, two up, there is nothing better than a 1800 Wing. There might be something out there as good, but nothing better.

He11 .... take a weekend and go to a city that rents them. Rent one for the weekend. Enjoy yourself. Ask her how she likes it. No doubt the Goldwing will be more comfortable for her.
davidprej likes this.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter
2011 Honda 125cc PCX Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Seasoned Member

This is a perfect example of viral advertisement. He probably gets paid for every article he gets published in any big forum. In viral advertisement, the product provides the articles to be published. He provided too prefect selling points as seen by Harley and since Harley advertises here on this site, this site allows Harley Viral advertisement.

2006 Navi Goldwing
Non Darksider # 851,650
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danl View Post
This is a perfect example of viral advertisement. He probably gets paid for every article he gets published in any big forum. In viral advertisement, the product provides the articles to be published. He provided too prefect selling points as seen by Harley and since Harley advertises here on this site, this site allows Harley Viral advertisement.

The rest of my opinion I will keep to myself.
Waiting for the rest.

Doug

Last edited by flat6bagger; 01-04-2017 at 12:30 PM.
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Well lets see what he comes back with...Time will tell I guess

John
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Member

I went from a 2012 Road Glide Ultra to a 2015 Level III Wing. Here is my comparison:

Riding Position:
Initially I found the Road Glide to have a more comfortable riding position, only because the seating position resembled the same Legs-forward position similar to your favorite chair or recliner. After 6 knee surgeries, this was important to me. You can achieve the same comfort by adding Mic-o-Pegs or highway pegs to your wing. I changed the handlebars on the Road Glide because I was getting shoulder and neck pain on long rides. I changed out the handlebars on the Wing to Helibars. The stock seat on the Road Glide (or any of my bikes for that matter to include the Wing) was good for about 150 miles before I would prefer walking. I always junked the stock seats and had a Russell Day-Long built. All comfort problems solved!

Suspension:
The stock suspension on the Road Glide was junk, especially the air rear shocks. I found the stock wing suspension to be slightly better and the rear shock more easily adjustable. I turned to Traxxion Dynamics for their "Mega Monty" upgrade and that meets all my suspension requirements. There are other options such as progressive, Race Tech, and a few more.

Performance:
You may have tinkered with your Ultra's performance characteristics by changing cams, lifters, or bolt on engine displacement kits, exhaust, air breather, and ECM modifications to get more performance. Absolutely no need to do such things on the Wing. You will notice a big difference in performance right off the showroom floor. No shaking at idle or at anywhere in the power band for that matter.

Reliability:
Just do a search on this forum and you will see folks with 100K, 200K, 300K, 400K, 500K and higher mileage on their wings. How often have you seen that kind of mileage on a Harley without major top end overhauls? Just try and trade in a Harley with over 65,000 miles on the clock and see what you get. How many other motorcycle marquees sell replacement engines in their parts catalog? I'll take liquid cooled over air cooled for reliability any day of the year.

Conclusion:
I certainly am not knocking Harley. Prior to this Wing, my last 5 motorcycles were Harley Ultra Classics, a Limited, and the Road Glide Ultra, and I rode all over North America on Harley's and they never left me stranded. It is just my personal opinion that the Wing is a solid touring mount, and with proper set-up, care and maintenance, should give your hundreds of thousands of miles and smiles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page