Motorcycle training finally pays off - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
As I'm writing this at 8:58pm there is 9 deer in my front yard eating acorns. I'll bet everything in the pic below against a donut that the very first vehicle to go by will scare them and make them scatter. If anything a loud exhaust will warn them that something is coming and they will be gone before it ever gets here. If a car can get totaled and the people inside killed when a deer comes through the windshield, do you really think that ATGATT will help you on a motorcycle ?
I've killed 5 deer with GL1800's, never got hurt until the last one and if it wasn't for the gear I was wearing I don't think I would be here today, spent only 2 days in the hospital and many months recovering, the wing was a total wreck. In my case I don't think a loud motorcycle would have been any help.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 465,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:17 AM
Seasoned Member

I believe the deer that is most likely to get you is likely not the one you see grazing on the side of the road. It is the one in full flight that is crossing the road (without stopping to check traffic). It is amazing how far they can travel each leap when they are in full flight.

I don't believe that 'deer whistles' work.

On numerous occasions I have been working ground in a field next to a busy interstate style highway and watching multiple deer grazing happily in the same field. Surely some of the vehicles going bay were 'whistle equipped'. The deer didn't care.

What I do think they don't like is a change in the sounds they hear. They ignore the tractor going up and down the field, just like they are ignoring the nearby freeway traffic.
But slow the equipment to an to stop and idle the engine and they look up. Open the door to get out for a better look or to take a picture and they seem to hear the click of the door latch releasing they are gone.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post
They ignore the tractor going up and down the field, just like they are ignoring the nearby freeway traffic.
But slow the equipment to an to stop and idle the engine and they look up. Open the door to get out for a better look or to take a picture and they seem to hear the click of the door latch releasing they are gone.
Its common while I'm cutting beans to see coyotes walking along the edge of the still standing beans 10 yards in front of the combine waiting on rabbits to pop out. They are not a bit scared of the combine, but the sec that I stop and open the door, they run like ****.

2010 Gold Wing 1970 HP383 'Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page