Sears is selling Craftsman tools - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Member

I used to calibrate the equipment CSA (the Canadian version of Underwriter Labs) used to test various products, one of which was hand tools.

Sears Craftsman, Proto, Snap-on, S&K - all of those are not what we remember them being - as far as quality. And Harbor Freight - for a lot of their tools - are actually just as good. As for the best overall - all-around hand tools on the market right now - it's the Kobalt line sold by Lowes.

Lifetime warranty, no questions asked replacement, and solidly built. I know because I watched the testing being performed.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
I used to calibrate the equipment CSA (the Canadian version of Underwriter Labs) used to test various products, one of which was hand tools.

Sears Craftsman, Proto, Snap-on, S&K - all of those are not what we remember them being - as far as quality. And Harbor Freight - for a lot of their tools - are actually just as good. As for the best overall - all-around hand tools on the market right now - it's the Kobalt line sold by Lowes.

Lifetime warranty, no questions asked replacement, and solidly built. I know because I watched the testing being performed.
Yes I've been buying the Kobalt line for the last 2-3 yrs. and they are definitely a quality tool. No problems with them so far and Veterans get a 10 % discount even on sale items. Home Depot also gives a 10% discount to Veterans.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM

Garage
Up here in Canada, Lowes will price match plus give you 10% off the price matched price.
Garage Works Guy likes this.

Mark W
Toronto
Ontario
2004 - GL1800

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Just from eyeballing, I've thought the Lowes and Home Depot house brands (Kobalt like ssncob said and I think Husky?, respectively) have looked good for a while. There's also a fancy looking Kirkland set in Costco that I've seen in stores and it's online there now, along with a Dewalt set. Unfortunately, I haven't had the privilege of breaking any of them with Canadians.

I had a ~30-40 year old Craftsman ratchet die about a dozen years ago. I still remember the guy who did the warranty replacement saying "Oh, this was one of the good, old ones" and he went out of his way to get me one of the higher end polished ones, rather than the base model that was the standard replacement. He was lamenting their decline, even way back then, and I think it has continued.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I own a lot of Craftsman tools but recently have bought more of the Huskey tools from Home Depot and Kobalt from Lowes. Both have worked well and it seems to me that Kobalt is the most innovative right now.

Harvey
04 GL1800
Ride Safe and Ride Often
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Having owned a machine shop for 30 years before I retired I always liked Craftsman tools. When and if they broke you could get it changed out for no cost at all. I never broke many.
As far as Black and Decker, I have never had any of their products that would last. I will walk right past a Black and Decker sale.
Harbor Freight has come up in quality through the years and they now sell some pretty good tools but they still have some junk too. Their prices are the best and I always look at their stuff first.
Home Depot and Lowes are too pricey sometimes but their stuff is top notch.
Tools to me are just that, tools. If I need a tool that I plan on using over and over I will spend the money for quality, otherwise I look at Harbor Freight.
I have tools that I bought 50 years ago. A lot of them are Craftsman. It was a good product.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

!989 Goldwing
1995 Goldwing SE
2012 Goldwing CSC Trike

Retired MSF Instructor
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

The main problem I see with this is that if it not sears product any longer sears will not have the single tools. Just like the other box store stuff. They will sell you a full set of wrenches and brag about a lifetime warranty. But you can not go back and get it replaced, they don't carry single wrenches only sets. You will now have to pay postage to send it who knows where and someday you may get something back from them. I own a bunch of Craftsman tools. But I wish there would be one of those big class action suits where I could get my money back on all of them. They will soon be worthless junk because no replacements.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Sears has not been selling (real) Craftsman tools for many years. I wonder what'n tarnation Black'n Decker is thinking. The goodwill of the brand name of Craftsman (CrapsMan) is greatly diminished and it is so much easier to lose reputation than to restore it.

prs
CAWing likes this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Black n Decker quality has suffered in recent years too. Should be interesting what happens with Craftsman brand buy out.

Harbor Freight... the current CEO made comments some time back. He was gonna bring up quality across the board on HF products. I have noticed the prices are up at HF in the last year.

I've been a mechanic for decades. Snap On tool dealers seem to be on a revolving door program in my area. We have seen 4 different tool dealers come n go in the last 2 yrs at my shop with 1 - 3 month gaps in between dealers. Quality on Snap On has dropped too. They really push their "Blue Point" line of tools now. Less warranty length coverage on that line. The new current Snap On dealer does not even talk to me. I am old (63), have a large Craftsman Professional series roll cab with top box (when the boxes were larger) at work. Guess he figures the "old guy" aint gonna buy more screw drivers like the young ones.... I keep my Snap On roll cab boxes at home. LOL

Edit Signature; Arizona Native

Last edited by Tony in AZ; 01-05-2017 at 09:30 PM.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 PM

Also

I just hear the news on the radio today. here is the link from the Stanley website with their statement:
www.stanleyblackanddecker.com
Also keep in mine DeWalt is a Black and Decker tool product.

Riding my bike is my therapy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page