Sears is selling Craftsman tools - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Sears, in general (not just Craftsman Tools), began as a Catalog based Mail Order business 1888/1893. It was a way of doing business that was both novel in its time, as well as being very successful. Remember that Sears sold motorcycles through their Catalog? (Keeps this post about motorcycles) Eventually Sears became a Brick and Mortar retailer and the paper Catalogs seem to have evaporated. So, now along comes the Internet and On-Line shopping. The consumer base that used to patronize the Brick & Mortar stores? Fading! So much retailing has moved On-Line. Structured as Sears/K-Mart/OSH is now? They're on serious Life Support! These retailers should have seen the handwriting on the wall a long time ago. Just as Sears Catalogs did in their competition a long time ago, so too the On-Line retailing is the death knell for Sears, Macy's and others (WalMart included) if they can't find a new paradigm.

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
I used to calibrate the equipment CSA (the Canadian version of Underwriter Labs) used to test various products, one of which was hand tools.

Sears Craftsman, Proto, Snap-on, S&K - all of those are not what we remember them being - as far as quality. And Harbor Freight - for a lot of their tools - are actually just as good. As for the best overall - all-around hand tools on the market right now - it's the Kobalt line sold by Lowes.

Lifetime warranty, no questions asked replacement, and solidly built. I know because I watched the testing being performed.

Bingo on the Harbor Freight comments. Most of my tools are harbor freight. I dabble in mechanic work on my own vehicles, replaced entire suspensions with my harbor freight tools, and never had a hand tool break. I had a specialty tie-rod end remover twist on me, to which I returned...but as far as wrenches and ratchets, never a problem. I figure if the warranty is just as good as sears, why pay the 400% price? Sears is going down the tubes (obviously), so no sense in buying stuff where you wont have a place to exchange.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

All Harbor Freight tools are made right here in the good ol' USofA! They couldn't put Pittsburg on the hand tools, Chicago on the electric tools or Central on the air tools (sorry, don't really know which state the city of Central is but it MUST be here somewhere!)...

wiredgeorge
Mico TX 2008 GL1800 Champion Trike Conversion

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:56 AM
pdq
Contributing Member

I just saw over Christmas Snap-on items being sold at Sam's Club. it was flashlights and other items. It used to be you had to get that stuff off the truck.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Almost on topic story:
I purchased a basic Craftsman tool set over 40 years ago and have added to it over the years. Never had one break but the original 1/4 inch drive ratchet always had a floppy selector. Drove me nuts.
So, I'm making a trip to Sears and finally remember to take it with me. They give me a new one exactly like the old one.
I use it and a 10mm socket to change a taillight bulb in my trike. Later, I want to use it and can't find it anywhere.
So, I'm walking the dog about 4 blocks from my house and see something shiny in the street. Sure enough, Craftsman 1/4 inch drive ratchet, with a 10mm socket attached. ****, is this mine? How did it get here? Oh well, this one's mine now.
Later, I'm rummaging through the trunk of the trike and find my 1/4 inch drive with 10mm socket attached lying on the floor in the corner by the taillight.
I now have two and one is in the trike tool kit. Probably a good thing since I'm starting to lose stuff more often.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

I just recently heard that Rosie O'Donnell had bought a large percentage of Snap-On Tools... should be a big boost for them.

Retired, love my bride, camping
and riding the Wing
08 GW
Central Kentucky
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Sorry I’m having a moment. Remembering the days of pulling into Sears parking lot and helping my wife get the boys out of the truck. Walking to those big doors into the Sears Tool section and walking awayfrom them. My sons with their little hands outsaying take me, take me. And hear themcrying as they got dragged away.
Not thinking years later my older boy would become an EngineMate in the Navy, and my younger one became a mechanic with a roll around boxwith an elec. Motor on it . “Becausenobody else has one and it takes two guys to move this thing around here.” My wife and son won’t tell me how much he hasin cost of tools and the box. But he gets a kick out of showing others my tac and dwell meter and how many don’tknow what it is or what’s it is for until they are told what it is.

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990

Last edited by Clamper; 01-06-2017 at 10:42 PM.
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
I used to calibrate the equipment CSA (the Canadian version of Underwriter Labs) used to test various products, one of which was hand tools.

Sears Craftsman, Proto, Snap-on, S&K - all of those are not what we remember them being - as far as quality. And Harbor Freight - for a lot of their tools - are actually just as good. As for the best overall - all-around hand tools on the market right now - it's the Kobalt line sold by Lowes.

Lifetime warranty, no questions asked replacement, and solidly built. I know because I watched the testing being performed.
Thanks for that info.... I'm not willing to pay for the best but do appreciate my perception of best value. ...... and I'll give more thought to kobalt in the future.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Seasoned Member

I started my career twisting wrenches in 1964 when I was assigned to a fighter squadron in the Navy. Every tool that we had at that time was Snap-On. I made friends with the purchasing agent and when I was discharged I had a foot locker full of Snap-On tools. After my discharge I worked for 20 yrs. in the forklift industry and the remainder of my working yrs. in the automotive field. The biggest convenience of buying Snap-On, Mac and some of the other name brands was having the tool truck come around to the shop and you could purchase and run a tab without having to pay any interest on the tab. Convenience was the name of the game. Probably during the last 10 yrs. of my working career I finally got smart and was a lot more selective in my tool purchasing.

For somebody who is a home DIY and uses tools HF or some of the cheaper tools will probably last you a lifetime without any adverse effects. Their is a big difference between using a tool 2-3 times a year versus using that tool 2-3 times every day.
HiYoCheeto, Clamper, Pooch and 1 others like this.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
I just recently heard that Rosie O'Donnell had bought a large percentage of Snap-On Tools... should be a big boost for them.
No Rosie O'Donald bought a large share of a strap-on company little bit different tool there...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Clamper, WVGuy, Johnny S and 1 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page