Sears is selling Craftsman tools - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Kmart and Sears are both going to be dead brands within the next few years. Same as JC Penny. I used to shop at Kmart a lot when I was younger - and where I used to live it was the Big Store locally. had to drive a bit to shop at JC Penny for some "nicer" clothes. Then they forgot who their customer base was. Started to go with Jacelyn Smith and Martha Stewart brands - upscaling the price while downscaling the quality and value. People figured if they were going to spend the same money as the nicer store brands - then they'll go shop at the nicer stores.

Quality went down, customer service went down, condition of stores went down - you could see the trend. But the CEO's had their heads in the golf course sand and didn't care - they still got their money. When Kmart went bankrupt, all their employee's stock (luckily I had already sold what little I had) became worthless, creditors took it in the shorts - the CEO's still had their money. Then Kmart was now debt free - so they bought Sears and started the game over again. I have refused to step foot into a Kmart since they did that. Used to love Sears - not sure when the last time I shopped there as the value just isn't there anymore.

The Craftsman tool line will continue to live a while longer based on the reputation of what and how they used to be, but very soon it will be in the same category as Pittsburg, Northern Tool and Harbor Freight.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Article I saw said Stanley was moving Craftsman tool production to a new factory IN USA. Who knows.
WVMANDINGO likes this.

DoD 1803
2006 'Wing
2001 HD Sportster Custom
1997 Polaris Ultra Tour with Polaris Trailmate(for grandkids).
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roster View Post
Article I saw said Stanley was moving Craftsman tool production to a new factory IN USA. Who knows.
Yup

http://fortune.com/2017/01/05/stanle...-decker-trump/

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roster View Post
That makes sense, and I imagine they will make a lot of changes. Sears doesn't manufacture anything. They just have their name put on products. Stanley is a manufacturer. But Craftsman products are sourced from dozens of different manufacturers, depending on what the tool is.

Regardless of whether it is US made or off shore, the quality will depend mostly on what their target price point will be, not where it is made. Any mfr can build great products, and any mfr can build cheap stuff.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Sear's needs to hurry up and go out of business. Their tools started to suck years ago, I do have a complete set of craftsman tools form the early 60's when they had pride in their products. Sad to say, it's very difficult to buy anything American made, I hate buying anything made in China, and I mean anything!
dougt1050 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2003 Gold Wing (Black)
2002 VTX 1800C (Silver)
OBAST Member #19

Owner/Operator Neighborhood Lawn Care
"Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Clippings Back"

"Hollow Points"--"From Those Who Care Enough to Send the Very Best"

"I hear voices, and they tell me they don't like you"
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
Sear's needs to hurry up and go out of business. Their tools started to suck years ago, I do have a complete set of craftsman tools form the early 60's when they had pride in their products. Sad to say, it's very difficult to buy anything American made, I hate buying anything made in China, and I mean anything!
Even egg rolls?
-- General Tso sends
CAWing and Art H. like this.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Interesting read on how to rip off the investors of one company to inrich the investors of another company.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears...chances-2017-1
Derick likes this.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamper View Post
The same in San Jose, CA at the Orchard Supply Hardware Store. They too carried Craftsman tools for several years.
OSH in Fresno sells Craftsman tools.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamper View Post
Those guys in Southwest Michigan are tough. Never have I had trouble with Sears out West in any dept.
About 3 months ago I went to Sears to replace a bad 1/2" ratchet. Mine was an old discontinued model and they replaced it with a much better ratchet. Walked out a happy camper.
Art H. and Clamper like this.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Fifty View Post
Interesting read on how to rip off the investors of one company to inrich the investors of another company.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears...chances-2017-1
Very interesting. I like stuff like this, seeing businesses before the brink of death. I can't believe, being as pompous as EL is, that he just doesnt cut his losses and shut them down now. Just be done with it.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page