European Import Duties & Brokerage Fees - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

European Import Duties & Brokerage Fees

I've been contemplating buying a German-built helmet from an Italian-based internet vendor. Does anyone have any experience (or insight) they would like to share regarding what the Import Tariffs would be? And what the Brokerage fees might be to facilitate import? American or Canadian.

Thanks for any help.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Helmets are not subject to any import duties. That said, there is always the possibility it could be coded incorrectly on the customs forms so you should deal with a reputable vendor who is familiar with international shipping. MotoStorm in Italy is one I am familiar with and is good. I have purchased Held gloves and a Schuberth helmet from them.
The exchange rate is very favorable these days.

New England Riders BaseCamp Tutorial
http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

New England Riders
http://www.newenglandriders.org/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezly View Post
The exchange rate is very favorable these days.
I've bought from Motostorm too and they've been fine to deal with. Also FC moto and Hein Gericke in Germany have been good. You'll also benefit from a lower price than us in the EU because we pay 20% (ish) tax on top of the item price. Most european online sellers include the tax (VAT) within the listed price so you should expect to pay 20% less than listed. Our different countries postal systems and carriers all link together seamlessly and when I buy from the US it's USPS who link up with the UK so I would expect a similar link outward from the EU to the US also.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Just a follow-up note. I decided to work with my local Dealer. He was the second highest of the "known" costs among a selection of 7 possible sources. A previous experience of buying a $15 part on eBay and then paying a $50 Brokerage Fee on top of the Duty/Tarif puts the risk factor too high.

Let the Dealer handle the risk...and I keep my money until satisfaction is guaranteed.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page