F6B or Goldwing - GL1800Riders
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

F6B or Goldwing

Dire Dilemma:

I do not need a trunk nor the sofa back seat. I like the lighter weight and sitting lower F6
but I need a touring windshield and I donot want to surrender any of the other amenities of the GL.

Can the F6 windshield go up and down like the GL?
Can one travel long distance just as comfortable on either one?
Can a F6 be made to have the same great wind management and comfort.
Is the front end of the F6 actually higher than the GL or does it just look like that?
Is the front fairing for the F6 exactly the same as the GL?

Do I need a GL or can I get by with a F6?

Last edited by Nando; 01-06-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Can the F6 windshield go up and down like the GL? NO

Can one travel long distance just as comfortable on either one? IMHO, get rid of the stock F6B shield as fast as you can and get a Madstad

Can a F6 be made to have the same great wind management and comfort. Yes

Is the front end of the F6 actually higher than the GL or does it just look like that? Don't know, never measured it

Is the front fairing for the F6 exactly the same as the GL? Yes

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:17 AM
Seasoned Member

They make a kit that removes the trunk and switches work the saddle bags. Guy in jacksonville did and looks great and you dont lose any features of wing. Think one i sold was by mbl industries. They make risers etc
WVMANDINGO and GLblinded like this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
A few things to consider if you're thinking about doing long distance rides: First, the early F6B's did not have Cruise Control. It's one of those options that if you've never had it, you'll probably wonder why anyone would want it; but after you've had a bike with it, you'll not want a long distance bike without it. This is particularly true west of the Mississippi, as it can be a long, long, long ride between two points. A friction Throttle Stop ain't the same thing! Second, if you're thinking about traveling in a group a CB radio is a nice thing to have. I don't think any F6B's came with or can support the seriously overpriced Honda CB Radio. But there are several aftermarket versions available. The range is fairly short (1 - 2 miles) because a bike has a really poor Ground Plane. Harley calls their CB radio a "Bike to Bike Communications System" and really, it's the same thing on our Goldwings. I have both and they're almost identical, even with low SWR readings. Third, depending on how you look at it, the selling price for an F6B can be extremely attractive. I'm not sure what's happening outside of my neck of the woods, but they don't seem to be selling to many of them. The GL1800's are going for a seriously deep discount if you shop around and the F6B's start cheaper and probably have a larger percentage (properly negotiated) discount.The downside of this is that the resale value is really poor and finding a buyer at any price might be a bit challenging. OTOH if you're considering a used bike . . . . well then . . . . so much the better for you!

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:19 AM
Seasoned Member

They also make lowering kit for wing( not mbl ind.) - have 3/4 and 1 inch

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Buy this: 2007 Gl 1800 $10,900

Spend the money you'll save on gas, tires, and ice cream.
Art H. and flat6bagger like this.

Jack
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Member

The F6B with the proper windscreen is as comfortable as a Full Wing. Its lighter and lower. New ones can be had for $16000 or less. Put a luggage rack on and get a piece of luggage if you need more storage. I'm not downing a Wing guys but I think a F6B is sportier and all around a sexier bike than the Big Wing. Like I said with all respect to the Goldwing because I love these bikes. Personally I would never have bought the Big Boy. It just doesn't do it for me. I fell in love with the B when I first saw it on that GEICO commercial. I know , I'm shallow.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

I was planning on buying new and went throught the same thought process because I liked the looks and lighter weight of the F6b so much. In the Deluxe model there is ABS so that was no longer a difference between it and the Wing. What made the difference for me was that I often ride with a passenger. Were I in the position of not needing comfortable passenger accommodations I would have bought the F6b instead of the new Wing that I actually bought. However, now that I have the GW, I would not ever want to give up the Cruise Control. I find I use it all the time, other than stop and go urban riding (which I try to avoid). If someday I don't have a regular passenger, and if Honda made the F6b with Cruise, I would certainly consider it.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Member

I had both and sold the F6B. I could never get comfortable on it and I really missed reverse. As far as height the F6B felt higher because the seat was so wide. On the F6b you can't adjust windshield or headlight, plus no foot warmers. Also I use the trunk a lot more than the bags plus the way you lock your helmet to the F6B is funky. I also like the rear speakers on the wing. Who wants to buy a bike you have to immediately buy a $300.00 windshield for so you won't get blown off the back?
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Sometimes it would be very fun to have a 'wing' without the trunk. Meaning all the amenities of the wing without the trunk. Reverse, cruise, everything. I like riding my gl650 in bagger configuration because the wind is different behind the fairing. Less in my opinion. That being said, I'll keep the wing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page