GL1800Riders Forums banner

J&M 787 headset review

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bob2002 
#1 ·
I got a new helmet for Christmas. Schuberth E1. Since I have the best motorcycle in the industry and now the best helmet (or at least most expensive) I just had to have the best headset.

First a little background. I've been using a J&M headsets for 30+ years. As a passenger on the back of my Dad's bike, I was a customer for the very first model J&M headset. Every 5-6 years I get a new helmet and put a new J&M headset in it. (not that the headsets wear out, just like to keep headset in old helmets to use as a back up)

The 787 is hands down the best headset I've ever used!!! The sound quality is awesome! I feel like I am in a surround sound theater. On my first ride with it, I kept looking around to see where the sound was coming from. In another thread, I asked John (owner) to compare the 629 to the 787 and he said the 629 is a B and the 787 is a A. I would like to disagree with that assessment. The 629 is a C compared to the A+ rating of the 787. I'm afraid to tell my wife how good the headset is for fear of her making me replace hers....

I can't wait to do my next iron butt ride with this helmet and headset.....

#3 ·
I agree Dude, I run the 787 Elite, well worth the $$$$....

#4 ·
I have a Schuberth C3 Pro. I am just starting to look for a headset. Never had one before. My big question is how easy are they to install and could I wreck the interior of a very expensive helmet? What about a microphone?

My apologies if I'm hijacking your thread.

#5 ·
No worries on high jacking
I have always installed my own headsets until this one. The integrated headset requires drilling a hole in the helmet (verses a clamp).
I paid the $60 and had JM install. Totally worth it. I figured I have a 10k bike, $800 helmet and a $250 headset, I'd pay the $60 to have them install. The integrated headset is worth the $60 install cost.

#9 · (Edited)
Maybe you can answer my question since your wife has an older headset. Is there any mismatch with your 787 and the wife's headset? I was told they would not work together.

#15 ·
headset compatibility.

Happy to answer.
Just for clarity, I have the 787 in a shuberth, and my my wife has a 629 in a Arai.
We are able to communicate very effectively, I don't notice that she is to load or to soft. When I asked her how I sound, she says "you sound clearer". I asked her if if was louder and she said not noticeably.

#10 ·
not to hijack thread but the 787 headset used in the Schuberth has very efficient speakers with high output mic so that the 787 will receive better and transmit louder than the older headset which may make them incompatible with each other. Schubert only recommends J&M and Sierra to install a J&M headset in their helmets.

#11 ·
I'm confused, I called J&M a little while ago and was told the 787 is compatible with the 584, very confusing.

#13 ·
I purchased a Neotech and sent both mine and my wife's helmets to J&M. They installed the 787 Elite into both of our helmets and I am very pleased. We had the integral mount done for the extra $10 and it is a nice clean installation. They return shipped in one day. Haven't ridden with the set up yet but in the garage the sound is excellent with good tone and good bass response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.