A touring windshield for F6B? - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

A touring windshield for F6B?

back to the newbie questionaire:

Is the windshield on an F6 NOT ADJUSTABLE?

What is the best 'touring' shield for the F6? I mean long touring, like the kind one does not want any buffeting or Texas loctus smashing on your teeth?

What about that Windbender? Does it work as well as the sales pitch on the web?

Note: I personally like flared-up shield on top because one can keep the shield lower and see over it--at least that's my experience. I have been riding bikes with electronic up/down shields and to go back to a fixed shield (if the F6 does not move) would be a regression in technological spoil-ness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

The F6B windshield does not move.

Doug

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLer View Post

What is the best 'touring' shield for the F6? I mean long touring, like the kind one does not want any buffeting or Texas loctus smashing on your teeth?
I've got a Madstad 13". They are adjustable for rake and height.
I'm very happy with it and so is my passenger.
MisterK likes this.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

What is the differ between the Madstad and the Windbender?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
What is the differ between the Madstad and the Windbender?
I suggest you go each website and have a look for yourself.
Google is your friend.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I done plenty of looking and reading on their web.

I was more interested in riders/users opinion of their efficacy, durability, and elimination of turbulence, prevent cold air, installation difficulty, etc.

They both claim to be the panacea of windshields, fair enough.

From what I can tell, they both let air in from below which indeed is likely to lower the resistant force of the incoming air; however, during the cold days, that must mean that you get a lot of cold air in the inside of the shield, no?

Then I gather one is knob mech operated and the other is a sort of shield on top of a shield that works with a electric switch

They both look pretty straight on top which from my previous experience means that they don't blow the air over your head like the flared ones. but then again, that's what that air-space is for on the bottom, I presume.

I would have to use them in order to really do a 'real' eval. But since I can't use them both on either bikes, then I am relaying on some good old forum opinionated folks to feed me food-for-thought.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Seasoned Member

All of my bikes have Clearview shields on them (except for my wing) Been doing business with them for over 10 years. Shop & compare.

I bought my 1800 last August & it has a stock screen on it. My new Clearview is in the Basement waiting for a spring install. Bought the tallest one with vent on their last black Friday special.
http://www.clearviewshields.com/moto...b-windshields/

2002 GL 1800
2012 650 Suzuki Burgman Trike
2006 650 Suzuki Burgman Standard
1989 Honda PC 800
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I was more interested in riders/users opinion of their efficacy, durability, and elimination of turbulence, prevent cold air, installation difficulty, etc.
From what I can tell, they both let air in from below which indeed is likely to lower the resistant force of the incoming air; however, during the cold days, that must mean that you get a lot of cold air in the inside of the shield, no?
Then I gather one is knob mech operated and the other is a sort of shield on top of a shield that works with a electric switch
They both look pretty straight on top which from my previous experience means that they don't blow the air over your head like the flared ones. but then again, that's what that air-space is for on the bottom, I presume.
I'll do my best about the Madstad.

Efficacy? I don't know what that means. However, I just Googled that word and it means does it do what it's supposed to. Yes it is very efficacious.

Durability? Yes, no issues in 2 years.

Elimination of turbulence? Total elimination.

Prevention of cold air? Yes, no cold air sucked into the rider or passenger bubble.

Installation difficult? Not if you follow instructions and have the proper tools.

Knob operated? Yes, knobs to change the rake and height. Very easy to set it up and then forget about it.

I don't know the flow pattern of air over the top of the Madsad. I would have to do a wind tunnel smoke test to answer that one.

Any more specific questions?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

thanks bird.

The revealableness of your report is an epistomological example of windshield datum.

I am not sure if I could handle a shield I could not move up and down. But maybe. I was terse enough to live with an old gal after the divorce. I may underestimate my adaptability to things 'gone-by'.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Anybody tried the taller (and vented) F6B accessory windscreen that Honda offers?

Part #:
08R70-MJG-671
MSRP*
$199.95

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page