Front fender interior brace - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Front fender interior brace

OK, that's my name for it, but I need help finding a pair whatever the name is.

Years ago when the Fenda Extenda came out for the 1800 someone made a pair of stainless steel or aluminum braces that attached to the interior of the rear fender section of the front fender. It attached to the inside with attached adhesive tape. It's intent was to prevent the rear fender from breaking at it's attachment tabs. I installed these on my '01 along with a Fenda Extenda and they worked perfectly until I crashed in 2010.

Does anyone have a pair laying about that they would like to get rid of? I have a new Fenda Extenda that I'm going to install on my 2014.

Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL
King-ding-a-ling

2014 black GL1800 Level 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwatc
I might have what you are talking about but not sure can you describe what they look like?

GWRRA #307515
'74 CB 360
'78 400 Hawk
'86 700 Magna
'07 VTX 1300R
'09 Silver ABS
'13 Silver Hannigan

'09 Escapade
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM
DSI Keeper

Garage
I think this is what he is looking for:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl18...sion/76/207349

'14 GL1800 Red
Keeper of the DSI numbers
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Other than looks how much does it help/ do for anything. Seen guys in alaska with them and had to stop n clean mud out ? Plus lots have had issues on fender cracking.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

John Preston from Bushtec was giving away braces to anyone who wanted them about 14 years ago. I got a set for my 02, but never installed them. Something about pieces of metal inside my fender being held in place with double sided tape just didn't seem safe to me. Fortunately I have never needed them. (knock on wood)

I will dig through my spare parts bin tonight to see if I still have them. If I do, they are yours. If I haven't installed them by now, it is unlikely I ever will.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Come on Larry. They attach with two bolts to the top fender mounts, and two thread nuts to the bottom.The tape is just for vibration on the sides.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 AM

I know much has been posted about the front fender cracking on the 1800's due to adding an extended fender, however I've always been a bit of skeptic about that. That's just an opinion, since I have only 3 post on this board I might not be allowed to have an opinion yet! Ha! gray red rider I do hope it works for you though, Good Luck!

Last edited by bones66; 01-09-2017 at 10:28 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Thank you Murgie and LarryM. I couldn't remember that it was John Preston who made them.

They worked for me with about 65K miles on the bike with the braces installed before I crashed in 2010. I installed mine with just the tape and they stayed put all that time. I think they worked by distributing any shock of impact along the length of the brace.

Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL
King-ding-a-ling

2014 black GL1800 Level 3

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray red rider View Post
Thank you Murgie and LarryM. I couldn't remember that it was John Preston who made them.

They worked for me with about 65K miles on the bike with the braces installed before I crashed in 2010. I installed mine with just the tape and they stayed put all that time. I think they worked by distributing any shock of impact along the length of the brace.
Why would you install them with just the tape, when clearly they have holes in them to mount them properly?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwatc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones66 View Post
I know much has been posted about the front fender cracking on the 1800's due to adding an extended fender, however I've always been a bit of skeptic about that. That's just an opinion, since I have only 3 post on this board I might not be allowed to have an opinion yet! Ha! gray red rider I do hope it works for you though, Good Luck!
I had an '09 that didn't have a fender extension on it and the fender was fine. My trike is a '13 that I purchased new as a trike and came with an extension on it. I replaced my broken fender before I replaced my second front tire at 28K. I don't remember the exact mileage when I replaced it but I'm guessing around 15K or so. Also have a friend that his fender broke also. Both trikes had the same extension on them. BTW my '09 only had 115K on it with no cracked fender. I also pretty much rode both bikes under the same conditions. One thing I have given thought to is the rake kits on trikes change the airflow with the fender extension but that's just a thought nothing to back it up either way.

GWRRA #307515
'74 CB 360
'78 400 Hawk
'86 700 Magna
'07 VTX 1300R
'09 Silver ABS
'13 Silver Hannigan

'09 Escapade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page