Honda no Show - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
Doug , I think that Can Am is in your future. I've ridden a trike several times and to me they handle terribly in the corners. You trike riders I'm not cutting down your ride. I think they are beautiful machines but I ride hard in the corners and trikes aren't too good at that. Now , Doug that Can Am will flat get it in the twisties. I ran one down on old 61 hwy two years ago. He was trying to shake me. I was on my M109R at the time. Guy pulled over and we talked. Then we swapped rides for about ten miles. I was impressed with the Spyder. You sit high , that's the only drawback. Im sure you get used to it.

I test rode the first Can Am Spyder brought into the United States as a VIP guest.
Those were nowhere in the same ball park as the new ones.
They had to be ridden like a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile in the corners.
I loved that actually.
What I did not like was that like a 4 wheeler, if you did not lean into the corner dang near off the side you felt like you would be ejected.
My understanding is that alot of this has been somehow taken care of.
I will find out when I talk to the rep.
I have a bit of an advantage I believe than someone just jumping on one from a motorcycle.
I professionally ice raced quads (indoor arenas) and did some 1/4 mile flat track races until one of those flat track races almost took my life in 2011.
That experience will assuredly make riding one almost second nature if I would decide to get one.
At least I would think it would. Here is a still shot of me from MAVTV. #56 (had to throw that in here) haha

Doug
GLblinded likes this.

Last edited by flat6bagger; 04-25-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans Wing View Post
Went to the Washington DC Progressive Motorcycle Show http://www.motorcycleshows.com/ yesterday hoping to get a look at Hondas new line up for 2017 and Honda was a no show. They were there in 2015. Guess there not reaching out to the public this year.
I feel they are no longer a riders motorcycle show . From what dealers , manufacture reps , and staff has told me the Progessive name on show came with a much higher exhibitor price . I have been to Chicago show once and the Minneapolis show several times . Even way before Progessive is sponsoring it . I like it many years ago when they to me were more into the rider and not into the idea of a its all about money and revenue . But such is life . They have lost my Loyality years back and I only go now when I have absoutly nothing better to do . It does not suprise me that Honda Corp. did not show up . As it did not suprise me when BMW dropped them from line up . Times change and so do I . I am for one glad I have and can make my own choices .
silverbullet05 likes this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
We have the Progressive MC show coming up here in MPLS soon and I have declined to be in this years presentation. Reasoning is simple. You get a lot of traffic and tire kickers but most people get home and toss the sales brochures into the garbage and that's the end of it. Over the last few years I handed out almost 600 business cards and brochures at these shows with no follow up sales. The cost on a 10x10 booth is just over $1000 and a 20x10 is, well double that.
I write one article for a magazine and sell out for the year. And this costs me zero dollars. I think most manufactures and vendors are finding out rallies and events work better and magazine articles are very cost effective even if they are not free.

"Take the right turn"

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

There a several motorcycle shows that happen in Toronto in the Jan -Mar time frame (3, I think).

At least one of them is attended by the OEMs. The others have lots of vendors and have some big dealer organized displays.

Which is best to attend depends on what is hoped to be accomplished. They all seem to be pretty well attended.
TerryBoyle likes this.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Been going to the Minneapolis show for the past 5 years. Along with a stop @ the Cranky Ape on the way there to Gawk @ their stuff.

Don't have the desire to go this year as nothing out there is on my must see list. My buddy is having a Hip replacement on the 16th. Wouldn't be the same without him.

The Cranky Ape is always a fun stop. You never know what you'll come across there.

2002 GL 1800
2012 650 Suzuki Burgman Trike
2006 650 Suzuki Burgman Standard
1989 Honda PC 800
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 AM
Seasoned Member

I know Honda was @ the NY show, my local dealer was there working the show.

Pat G
2004 Black Wing w 109 K mi, Ridin on an Ultimate Seat, the best there is....
2013 Harley Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo+ 2
AMA #5181144
GWBBA # 48
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173, North Jersey
Darksider # 494 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA 3 195 55 16 put to rest 5/7/16
Kuhmo Ecsta PA31 195/60/16 NR flat in service 5/7/16
*RETIRED & LUVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT*
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
The only manufacturer that was noticable for their absence at the Southern California (Long Beach) show (in November) was Triumph. Otherwise it seemed like everyone else had a presence.

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Seasoned Member

The last show I went too was loaded with nothing but "black leather" clothing and those useless beany type $10-15 dollars helmets.............NOT!

Ronnie

Captron- Springfield, Massachusetts
I retired at 55 years old- no more boss
more time to motorcycle and complete the "honey do" list..........
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans Wing View Post
Went to the Washington DC Progressive Motorcycle Show http://www.motorcycleshows.com/ yesterday hoping to get a look at Hondas new line up for 2017 and Honda was a no show. They were there in 2015. Guess there not reaching out to the public this year.
Maybe they just don't want to be near any politicians.

I just check the website for the Cleveland show that will be here in a couple of weeks, and American Honda is listed as one of the exhibitors.

For a big company like Honda to skip some shows and go to others, I wonder if it is their way of protesting exhibitor fees in some cities.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 01-09-2017 at 07:29 AM.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Member

I would think it is a result of their marketing people looking at the stats.
They probably see what sales profits that were generated from a particular area.
If the sales profits were low compared to money spent to enter the show they crossed it off.
I am surprised Moto Guzzi is back at Chicago.
I spoke with a Guzzi dealer when they pulled out a few years ago.
He told me it just wasn't worth it.
I took that to mean sales generated by the show.

Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page