Honda no Show - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinseattle View Post
The Seattle show was dropped a few years ago. Now, the Portland show has been dropped. The closest to Seattle is in California.

Perhaps Progressive is not managing this very well. It seems as though the interest in motorcycling is still there.

I mean, they charge the vendors and they charge an entrance fee. Then we pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee and $10.00 for a hamburger. Want fries with that?
Yes the crazy high food and drink prices have been a big turnoff for me as well , I usually just pay it because there is no other choice, I'm sure those folks are also paying crazy prices to have the right to sell food there.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Yes the crazy high food and drink prices have been a big turnoff for me as well , I usually just pay it because there is no other choice, I'm sure those folks are also paying crazy prices to have the right to sell food there.
I heard that vendor sales at the Seahawk and Mariners games, that the vendor has to make a profit off of 15% of the gross revenues as the team owners charge 85% gross revenues as rent. That might of changed in the last few years, but that is understandable that they charge $10 for a beer and $8.00 for a hot dog.

When I go to these events, I always just make a sandwich and bring a small bag of chips as well. (The same lunch I had as a kid. Used to it.)

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter
2011 Honda 125cc PCX Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I heard that vendor sales at the Seahawk and Mariners games, that the vendor has to make a profit off of 15% of the gross revenues as the team owners charge 85% gross revenues as rent. That might of changed in the last few years, but that is understandable that they charge $10 for a beer and $8.00 for a hot dog.

When I go to these events, I always just make a sandwich and bring a small bag of chips as well. (The same lunch I had as a kid. Used to it.)
In my opinion the real problem with the crazy food prices is when folks go home they REMEMBER the crazy food prices not all the other great stuff they saw, so next year they might not come back and that winds up hurting everyone. How to go about fixing the issue I sure don't know.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

When we go to a ball game, we will usually eat before or after, and just bring a small snack to eat during the game. But with the bike shows, it's once a year, sometimes every 2-3 years. As much as I don't like the prices, I am not going to pinch pennies for something that trivial, especially since I have already been ripped off for $20 in parking. We always eat something at the show. It's just more convenient, and less stuff to carry around when checking out displays.

Sometimes you have to stick it to them and work around the system just on principle alone. It gives you a sense of control and satisfaction. To me, in this case, if I wanted to protest the prices, my answer would be to just not go at all. They need me more than I need them.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 01-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
When we go to a ball game, we will usually eat before or after, and just bring a small snack to eat during the game. But with the bike shows, it's once a year, sometimes every 2-3 years. As much as I don't like the prices, I am not going to pinch pennies for something that trivial, especially since I have already been ripped off for $20 in parking. We always eat something at the show. It's just more convenient, and less stuff to carry around when checking out displays.

Sometimes you have to stick it to them and work around the system just on principle alone. It gives you a sense of control and satisfaction. To me, in this case, if I wanted to protest the prices, my answer would be to just not go at all. They need me more than I need them.
I go to participate with the show. I have attended many college, professional sporting events along with RV, Sporting, Fishing and Motorcycle shows.

I am 63 years old. I am proud of the fact that I have never bought a hot dog, hamburger, french fries or so much as a cup of coffee at any professional sporting event or a RV, Sporting, or Motorcycle Show. Never. I can't say the same thing about the county fair. That does not mean that I have never been with those who do and have noted their complaints about the quality of the food vs the costs. If more people respected the purchase power of the dollar, we wouldn't have these exorbitant prices. They charge those prices, because people will allow themselves to be held hostage to those prices.

Even in those captive markets, the choice of the consumer sets the volume of sales.

I would feel completely different if those who are behind the counter were those who benefited from these outrageous prices; however, those behind the counter are paid a minimum wage.

You all have me to thank for the continual lowing of prices of cell phone service and chicken nuggets. You are welcome.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:51 AM

They were at the Long Beach CA show. Huge presence.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Larry, I hope you didn't think I was calling you and others penny pinchers for circumventing the food courts. I was only sharing my own personal choice. I don't blame anyone for avoiding the food vendors. It's just being smart. They set the prices they think they can get, and consumers decide whether it is worth it.

If you are a participant in the shows, and do a lot of them, then yeah, I would be doing the same thing you do.
larryinseattle likes this.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 01-11-2017 at 04:47 AM.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Larry, I hope you didn't think I was calling you and others penny pinchers for circumventing the food courts. I was only sharing my own personal choice. I don't blame anyone for avoiding the food vendors. It's just being smart. They set the prices they think they can get, and consumers decide whether it is worth it.

If you are a participant in the shows, and do a lot of them, then yeah, I would be doing the same thing you do.
No offense taken. I was just sharing mine.

I pay the entrance fee, but never the snacks. We have dinner right before the start of a movie and we never buy a $8.00 box of pop corn. I am a penny pincher and proud of it. I always tell my girl friend, if you want a snack at the movies, better bring it along. A pound of cashews is $8.00.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
I am a penny pincher and proud of it.
I don't know I used to work with a gal named penny and she was not one to pinch.
larryinseattle likes this.

"Take the right turn"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page