Not sure which bike to buy next year, but it won't be a Victory - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
Seems to me like the whole motorcycle industry is in a deep downturn. I heard last years Honda's GL1800 sales were down 40%. That's a huge number!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMANDINGO View Post
The motorcycle industry as a whole has been flat to declining in the US for a few years now. There have also been more players entering this market, and some people can't seem to figure out why Honda has not introduced a new Goldwing. I hate to hear this news but fear there will be more of this as America's interest in motorcycles continues to decline.
No surprises here. It can all be accounted for with demographics.

The WWII generation's late in life retirement options (i.e., where to spend recreational dollars), and the onslaught of the baby boomers who came of age during the mid 1970's account for the huge motorcycles market that swept the USA from 1960 until recently.

Now these new-styled "beta-males" - recognizable by their skinny jeans and intense focus on their hand held devices, just are not into motorcycles.

It bodes ill for the future of two-wheeled conveyances.
ARH, WVMANDINGO and silverbullet05 like this.

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwinger View Post
No surprises here. It can all be accounted for with demographics.

The WWII generation's late in life retirement options (i.e., where to spend recreational dollars), and the onslaught of the baby boomers who came of age during the mid 1970's account for the huge motorcycles market that swept the USA from 1960 until recently.

Now these new-styled "beta-males" - recognizable by their skinny jeans and intense focus on their hand held devices, just are not into motorcycles.

It bodes ill for the future of two-wheeled conveyances.
Well said!

01 yellow

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Prowler #109
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

If they're dropping the Victory line I'd say the Indian isn't far behind.........

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Member

They're still going to make parts available for 10 years. Should be able to get a really good deal on a Vic at the dealers. Sad to see them go, as competition is good.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Member

I actually think Indian was doomed from the start of Polaris taking over.
They needed and need to concentrate on side by sides.etc.

Doug
larryinseattle and Carlspeed like this.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
I actually think Indian was doomed from the start of Polaris taking over.
They needed and need to concentrate on side by sides.etc.

Doug
Indian is not "doomed" yet. However, their accessories are way overpriced, even more so than Harley's. Getting warranty work done is also a c#%pshoot depending on how well the dealer goes to bat for you.
flat6bagger and Carlspeed like this.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
Indian is not "doomed" yet. However, their accessories are way overpriced, even more so than Harley's. Getting warranty work done is also a c#%pshoot depending on how well the dealer goes to bat for you.
I agree 100% on a crap shoot for service by dealers.
I had a great dealer when I had a Polaris RZR.
Others that I rode with would look at me like I was lying because their dealers were total crap.
My father had a saying about dealers in general.
"Just about anyone can sell me something, but it is service that will keep me coming back."
I live by this also.

Doug

Last edited by flat6bagger; 01-09-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 PM
HG
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa_Poser View Post
I see Indian going down the tubes, also.

The Indian dealers around here are giving deep discounts on the Indian motorcycles - and what with the demise of Victory - at least some of the prospective buyers will be put off - wondering if they will be buying an Indian today, only to have Polaris cease production in a year or two - or less.

Not bashing Victory - I currently own a Gunner, and it's my 4th Victory
Agree - I forecast the Indian going down in a few years as well.
I personally liked the Victory Cross Country Tour - nice bike, IMO.
Pricejh61 and flat6bagger like this.

* * * Miles equals Smiles* * *
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Seasoned Member

THINK INDIAN BE AROUND FOR AWHILE. IF I RECALL WHEN INDIAN STARTED BACK UP THEY WANTED VICTORY DEALERS TO HANDLE BOTH ( BUT SEPARATE ) NO DEALER WOULD DO!! INDIAN IS TO ME BETTER MADE AND HAS HISTORY BEHIND IT. POLARIS DONT NEED 2 BIKE LINES. SMART MOVE IN MY OPINION. THE VICTORY GUNNER IN ABOVE PIC LOOKS GREAT . DONT CARE FOR VISION. AS FAR AS BIKE SALES GO THINK COMPARED TO CARS BIKES LAST LOT LONGER THAN VEHICLE - FROM LESS USE TO BETTER MADE. TIME - AS USUAL WILL TELL. NOTHING HIDES FROM FATHER TIME.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I was just in my local multi-brand toy dealer and he didn't have a single Goldwing on his floor..... he did have several F6Bs. Very little floor space allocated to ATVs.... not a single slingshot......but they had a huge inventory of RZR and CANAM side by sides (it's off-road and dune season in the southwest)..... Im sure his floor will change in the spring at the end of off-road season when it gets hot. ...... but those decked out RZRs are big bucks..... and he seems to have a ton of them.
Pricejh61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page