Not sure which bike to buy next year, but it won't be a Victory - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid View Post
this does not surprise me, Honda needs to do a major update to keep the customers interested.
I would like a new one, but there are minimal updates from my '05....people like new models....
Look at Harley, there Rushmore models upped the sales numbers, and now, just a few years later, their 2017 has big changes...
The rushmore models did not increase sales. HD sales have continued to fall on par with the rest of the US motorcycle market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTraveler View Post
Dropping Victory is a good move for Polaris. Looking forward to seeing great things from their Indian brand in the future.

I liked both the Victory Gunner and Octane, but their touring bikes never appealed to me.
I actually feel that it was a good move by Polaris too, I've always felt that one of their biggest competitors was themselves. It made very little sense to have two brands when they were all V-twin cruisers.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Our local Honda shop used to have 2 showrooms full of motorcycles. Now you can count the cycles on one hand that they stock. Showrooms full of ATV's & UTV's around here.

I can see Indian going down the tubes also if they don't make a more affordable motorcycle.

Young people just don't have the money today like we did when we were younger to buy motorcycles. A dollar went sooooo much farther back then. Some working 2 to 3 jobs just to make ends meet

2002 GL 1800
2012 650 Suzuki Burgman Trike
2006 650 Suzuki Burgman Standard
1989 Honda PC 800

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMANDINGO View Post
I actually feel that it was a good move by Polaris too, I've always felt that one of their biggest competitors was themselves. It made very little sense to have two brands when they were all V-twin cruisers.
Good point and Victory like harley only used one basic engine for all their bikes were Indian uses differing engine designs in each model. I think the Indian brand is more diverse and this could be a positive step. I will have no problems buying Victorys going forward as they are super reliable and just plain good machines.

"Take the right turn"
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
this does not surprise me, Honda needs to do a major update to keep the customers interested.
I would like a new one, but there are minimal updates from my '05....people like new models....
Look at Harley, there Rushmore models upped the sales numbers, and now, just a few years later, their 2017 has big changes...
You must not have been paying attention, Harley has actually seen a decline in sales and market share since introducing their Rushmore lineup. Even updated models such as the BMW k1600 GTL has not been shown much love. I think Honda know the market much better than we do, and will probably release an updated model if or when they feel there is a market ready to buy it.

Last edited by WVMANDINGO; 01-09-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMANDINGO View Post
You must not have been paying attention, Harley has actually seen a decline in sales and market share since introducing their Rushmore lineup. Even updated models such as the BMW k1600 GTL has not been shown much love. I think Honda know the market much better than we do, and will probably release an updated model if or when they feel there is a market ready to buy it.
I do know that our local Harley dealer has sold lots of the Rushmore models, where the 2 local Honda dealerships do not even bother bringing in a goldwing, unless they get a pre-order...they might sell 1 goldwing per dealership per year
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I do know that our local Harley dealer has sold lots of the Rushmore models, where the 2 local Honda dealerships do not even bother bringing in a goldwing, unless they get a pre-order...they might sell 1 goldwing per dealership per year
Yeah but,

http://www.euronews.com/2015/10/20/h...-sales-decline
http://www.valuewalk.com/2016/04/har...sales-decline/
http://www.investors.com/news/harley...sales-decline/
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-its-diehards-
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...n-layoffs.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...s-company.html
http://www.wsj.com/articles/harley-d...u-s-1469706185
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...s.html?year=20

Not a knock against Harley, it's just the norm in the US market at this time. Only small players and upstarts has seen any positive movement in recent years. The market has become more crowded with only small gains overall.

post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Garage
I'm not a fan of the way any of the Indians look. I like the way the Victory bikes look, but for some reason I have this feeling that they are cheaply made. I don't have any way to back that up - that's just the impression I get when I look at one up close. If I didn't have the Goldwing I would have gotten a HD touring bike without hesitation. I can't say I'm surprised to see Polaris get rid of Victory, but I AM surprised to see them just kill the brand. I figured they would have tried to sell it and get some money. Victory is an old company, and killing the name is stupid IMO.

Carl
Lots of sport bikes, a few cruisers, and it's down to an
'08 Wing
'09 R1
'12 Iron 883 Sporty
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlspeed View Post
I'm not a fan of the way any of the Indians look. I like the way the Victory bikes look, but for some reason I have this feeling that they are cheaply made. I don't have any way to back that up - that's just the impression I get when I look at one up close. If I didn't have the Goldwing I would have gotten a HD touring bike without hesitation. I can't say I'm surprised to see Polaris get rid of Victory, but I AM surprised to see them just kill the brand. I figured they would have tried to sell it and get some money. Victory is an old company, and killing the name is stupid IMO.
I would imagine that they still retain the rights to the brand. And just like Indian they could sell or resurrect it at any time. With so much competition in a shrinking market I don't know if it would have made sense to sell it (probably for a huge loss) and still have an additional competitor competing against the brand you're trying to build

post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Indian is next.

later...Randy
2005 Billet Silver ABS

....... 1967-1971......

Proud Member Of The PGR
Since 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page