Not sure which bike to buy next year, but it won't be a Victory - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMANDINGO View Post
The motorcycle industry as a whole has been flat to declining in the US for a few years now. There have also been more players entering this market, and some people can't seem to figure out why Honda has not introduced a new Goldwing. I hate to hear this news but fear there will be more of this as America's interest in motorcycles continues to decline.
As well as the middle class. You can't exactly be living paycheck to paycheck and pony up $30k for a toy. I think a lot of people would be buying big, new, shiny, motorcycles if the majority of people weren't struggling to get by.
cycledude, murf, AtackPug and 7 others like this.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:10 PM

I'm trying to find my bike too.
Your pics guys are of some help, thanks.
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
As well as the middle class. You can't exactly be living paycheck to paycheck and pony up $30k for a toy. I think a lot of people would be buying big, new, shiny, motorcycles if the majority of people weren't struggling to get by.
You may be right but I think your answer is too simplistic. During the same period of stagnation in the motorcycle industry ATV/UTV sales have gotten better and RVs are seeing large increases in sales. There have been more new car sales in the last two years than any other time in history. I know a car is a necessity and not a toy, but if someone really wanted a motorcycle they wouldn't be trading their three year old car in on a new one, they would keep it a little longer and buy that motorcycle they wanted. I see enough $800.00 cell phones, $1,500.00 drones, $500.00 game consoles with $70.00 games, $300.00 sneakers, and $2-300.00 jeans to make your head swim.

I don't dispute that many people are really struggling to get by and really can't afford a motorcycle, but I truly believe that the vast majority of people that don't have one simply don't want one or are not willing to make the necessary sacrifices to get one. It's just not that important to them. My car was actually seven years old when I purchased my Wing, it was in good shape and I decided I could live with it for a couple more years and got the bike I wanted.
Lager, Carlspeed and avatar7727 like this.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
You may be right but I think your answer is too simplistic. During the same period of stagnation in the motorcycle industry ATV/UTV sales have gotten better and RVs are seeing large increases in sales. There have been more new car sales in the last two years than any other time in history. I know a car is a necessity and not a toy, but if someone really wanted a motorcycle they wouldn't be trading their three year old car in on a new one, they would keep it a little longer and buy that motorcycle they wanted. I see enough $800.00 cell phones, $1,500.00 drones, $500.00 game consoles with $70.00 games, $300.00 sneakers, and $2-300.00 jeans to make your head swim.

I don't dispute that many people are really struggling to get by and really can't afford a motorcycle, but I truly believe that the vast majority of people that don't have one simply don't want one or are not willing to make the necessary sacrifices to get one. It's just not that important to them. My car was actually seven years old when I purchased my Wing, it was in good shape and I decided I could live with it for a couple more years and got the bike I wanted.
You got a point, I do see my share of wasteful spending with the kiddies. I think a lot of the RV and UTV sales are baby boomer sales. That is the last generation that had a chance of making any real money. They had unions, and first generation owners that somewhat cared about the worker. You used to be able to not even graduate from high school, and as long as you worked hard, you could make a decent living. That America is dead.

An $800 phone can provide some relatively cheap entertainment. Not really what I call entertainment, but to each is own. I worked in the golf industry for awhile and they said young people just don't wanna play golf anymore. I always thought there's probably a little more to it then not wanting to play golf. Like how about not having enough $ to play golf?

Again this is simplistic, but just going from the relatively large group of people I and my girlfriend know, my Gen X'rs and younger generations seem completely broke.
Hoosier Daddy and avatar7727 like this.

-Don

DS#788

Current inventory-

Links-

post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
You got a point, I do see my share of wasteful spending with the kiddies. I think a lot of the RV and UTV sales are baby boomer sales. That is the last generation that had a chance of making any real money. They had unions, and first generation owners that somewhat cared about the worker. You used to be able to not even graduate from high school, and as long as you worked hard, you could make a decent living. That America is dead.

An $800 phone can provide some relatively cheap entertainment. Not really what I call entertainment, but to each is own. I worked in the golf industry for awhile and they said young people just don't wanna play golf anymore. I always thought there's probably a little more to it then not wanting to play golf. Like how about not having enough $ to play golf?

Again this is simplistic, but just going from the relatively large group of people I and my girlfriend know, my Gen X'rs and younger generations seem completely broke.
I don't disagree that that there are fewer opportunities for those without a higher level of education. The country has had a difficult time digging out of a deep recession and high paying manufacturing jobs loss to outsourcing. I mentioned the $800.00 cellphones because they usually require data plans that can cost families hundreds of additional dollars a month. Likewise a game console usually has their owners spending $$$ on a regular basis on new games. I'm not trying to make judgement on what anyone spends their money on, but like most people we have to pick and choose our priorities. If that priority is playing games on a console or a smartphone, that's fine but they can't really complain they don't have the money for a motorcycle, it's just not their priority. Unless a person is really rich , we all have to make choices.
raw2210 and Pricejh61 like this.

post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
I don't disagree that that there are fewer opportunities for those without a higher level of education. The country has had a difficult time digging out of a deep recession and high paying manufacturing jobs loss to outsourcing. I mentioned the $800.00 cellphones because they usually require data plans that can cost families hundreds of additional dollars a month. Likewise a game console usually has their owners spending $$$ on a regular basis on new games. I'm not trying to make judgement on what anyone spends their money on, but like most people we have to pick and choose our priorities. If that priority is playing games on a console or a smartphone, that's fine but they can't really complain they don't have the money for a motorcycle, it's just not their priority. Unless a person is really rich , we all have to make choices.
Priorities. I agree with you, it's definitely harder now. If I had kids I'd have to kill my hobbies. And I'd probably have to moonlight at the truckstop in addition to my full time job just to make ends meet.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but being a Gen X'r, I grew up on game consoles. I just don't think they are that expensive to play. Especially with online play now. Believe me my bank account would be WAY better off if I just stuck to playing games. $300-$400 for a new system, and $60 a game is way cheap compared to motorcycling. Man, I could buy a new PS4 and quite a few games for $20k+.

-Don

DS#788

Current inventory-

Links-

post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplay View Post
Good point and Victory like harley only used one basic engine for all their bikes were Indian uses differing engine designs in each model. I think the Indian brand is more diverse and this could be a positive step. I will have no problems buying Victorys going forward as they are super reliable and just plain good machines.
Indian only has three motors they use in their bikes. The TS 111 powers all models except the Indian Scout and the Scout Sixty. A 69 CI v-twin powers the Scout. The Scout Sixty is powered by a 61 CI v-twin.
larryinseattle likes this.
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlspeed View Post
I'm not a fan of the way any of the Indians look. I like the way the Victory bikes look, but for some reason I have this feeling that they are cheaply made. I don't have any way to back that up - that's just the impression I get when I look at one up close. If I didn't have the Goldwing I would have gotten a HD touring bike without hesitation. I can't say I'm surprised to see Polaris get rid of Victory, but I AM surprised to see them just kill the brand. I figured they would have tried to sell it and get some money. Victory is an old company, and killing the name is stupid IMO.
Victory is really not that old, July 4, 1998.
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

Your point about driving a seven year old car says a lot, look around a little many vehicles on the road today are more than 3 times older than the seven year old car your suffering with.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Your point about driving a seven year old car says a lot, look around a little many vehicles on the road today are more than 3 times older than the seven year old car your suffering with.
Oh I wasn't suffering with it, I actually kept it for thirteen before buying a new one. My work truck is a 1998 and I still use it daily. My point was that the last two years has seen the most new car sales in the history of the automobile industry. There is an abundance of two and three year old used cars available on car lots that people have traded, Mines could have also been one of lightly used cars on a Car lot available for sale if I had choose to buy a new car instead of a motorcycle.
Pricejh61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page