Polaris shuts down Victory operations - Page 5 - GL1800Riders
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
Here's the real reason Vic is shutting down. Polaris is going to concentrate on the Indian brand.

Here is an interview with Polaris CEO Scott Wine.
I retired after 32 years from a big well respected company worth in excess of $40 Billion..... the one thing I learned is when the CEO and their directs reports moved their lips.... do exactly the opposite. ...... I do that .... and that has allowed me to retire comfortably at a early age. ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't know a whole lot about Indian motorcycles but I did check em out at the international motorcycle show this past weekend. I think this brand has potential. One particular touring one caught my eye and it had some nice looking features. Not sure what model it was.
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

From what I've seen Victory and Indian are too similar and I'm sure share some parts. When I worked for GM in the eighties we ran five models down the same line. The news media was astounded and did a big piece on it. In reality although it was 5 models it was only two different chassis. One motor. Three different front doors and two rear. One of the fronts was a coupe door which had no rear. So what I'm saying is a lot of the same. Polaris probably feels Indian has the best chance to compete with HD. Its an old line name. Victory had great pricing and Indian won't. They will have more Harley like pricing on the Indian. We will see how that strategy works.

post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spummerr View Post
Sad to hear. And i bet getting parts will be a pain. Everything will have to be ordered. I can't see dealers stocking much
Too late. They have had this problem for a while now. My son bought a 2002 TCD 6 years ago and has never been able to source parts easily (new or used)...and getting worst all the time. This news will kill it off what little is left of availability, I'm sure.

Ian (IBA# 65781)

Current Street: 2008 GL1800 Level II - R303 Dark Red Metallic, Various & Sundry Add-ons

I liked 2-Strokes...a lot
Still do.
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Then you have never ridden an original concours ZG1000 lol

7.1 gallons at the TOP of that motorcycle, yeah parking lots are lots of fun until you really get familiar with it.
I did own one of these Derrick,
A week after I got it I put fairing guards around and coming into a parking place that I suddenly notice, tried a slow turn into it, down I went. I banged the heck out the back of my head, thanks God for a helmet. Bent the heck out of the engine/fairing guard cause that bike is so heavy at the top.

I still think the Victory is the monster weight tip-over of all times.

BTW, I got rid of the Z cause of the throttle bar high pitch vibrations. It numbed my hand on a short trip. Fun bike though!
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLer View Post
I did own one of these Derrick,

BTW, I got rid of the Z cause of the throttle bar high pitch vibrations. It numbed my hand on a short trip. Fun bike though!
You aren't kidding. Even after riding the wing, the ergonomics of me as a tall guy fit better on the concours. The wing, and that silky smooth ride just cant be beat though. I get on that thing any more, and I'm just wondering how I ever lived with it. I've done everything to it. Checked motor mount shims, adjusted the harmonic balancer, mega bar end weights, nearly everything but a motor tear down. I deal with it, I mean **** your arm is numb after a few hours so cant complain too much after that point....

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Not Surprised - Not these are not great bikes

A couple of years ago, I had my 2012 GL1800 in at my dealer for some warranty work. They set me up with a brand new Cross-Tour demo model while mine was in the shop. I was not the least bit impressed. Pulled to the right, under powered, clunky shifting. It did have a comfortable seating position, but I hated how far away the instrument cluster and windshield were from the riding position. Build quality and finish seemed pretty second rate

I do hope they do well with the Indian line. Great looking bikes... would love to test ride but no dealers within 25 miles of me
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1800 View Post
I do hope they do well with the Indian line. Great looking bikes... would love to test ride but no dealers within 25 miles of me
I've driven the Scout, Springfield, and Roadmaster.

They're much nicer than any HD in terms of vibration, handling, sound, and power, but they're no match for an F6B or GL1800 IMHO.
flat6bagger likes this.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Member

I looked at Indians in a showroom.
That qualifies me as an expert on Indians.
I did not like anything about them,so they will fail. hahhahaha

Doug
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Victory has lost money 3 out of the last 5 years. That sounds like a pretty good reason to concentrate on Indian.
Polaris will drop any product line that doesn't contribute to the bottom line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page