RainX question with a twist - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up Rains for Plastic

I have just purchased this product recently and have used it two times so far. I'm fine with the outcome so far. We shall see though! The only problem so far is that I haven't had any rain to run in since I got to Florida in November!

Florida Prowler #23
DS#933 - 100,000 (smiles)
2008 Pearl White GL1800A Canada
2012 Pearl White GL1800A USA
ATGATT

Keep the shiny side up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

I have a F4 windshield. Rainx does not effect it at all.
bcconner and F4Customs like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Years ago I used it on a Suzuki Intruder windshield and when I removed the cover after the next winter it was hazed over. So, it took a few months, to answer the OP's question.

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living.", Theodore Roosevelt

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyTrotter View Post
Why would you put RainX on a F4? The baked on special coating repels water, nothing else is needed.
For the OP, the damage from using the RainX glass formula on a acrylic windshield will start almost immediately.
The question is, if you're replacing the shield next season, why waste the time and money putting RainX on it now??
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyTrotter View Post
Why would you put RainX on a F4? The baked on special coating repels water, nothing else is needed.
For the OP, the damage from using the RainX glass formula on a acrylic windshield will start almost immediately.
Been a while but, saw the damage done to a Gold Wing windshield, which is coated polycarbonate. Was a new bike and the owner was very upset. So the RainX glass formula is a No-No on any form of plastic.
The question is, if you're replacing the shield next season, why waste the time and money putting RainX on it now??
F4Customs likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
Water and a microfiber cloth is what I use.
No worries about anything.

Doug
I read on the F4 site (I think) they don't recommend microfiber on their windshields. They said microfiber carried small particles of dirt that could scratch the windshield. A clean paper towel is better.
flat6bagger I'm not posting this for sake of an argument but only to show no matter how careful we think we are somebody will find error.
I came across a can of Plexus an used it on my old 1500 windshield that I liked very well. Don't know that it took the bug guts off any better or easier but after I worked with it getting them off I really liked the slickness and feel it left on the windshield.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

"I read on the F4 site (I think) they don't recommend microfiber on their windshields. They said microfiber carried small particles of dirt that could scratch the windshield. A clean paper towel is better."

I am not answering this in an argumentative way.
This is just my opinion based on my experience.

I hope F4 replies to this.
It makes no sense to me that you should not use a microfiber cloth when they show in their video actually using steel wool.
I do don't believe that a paper towel would be considered a better choice than micro fiber cloth.
I have been doing this on all my windshields for the past 10+ years with no issues.
By the way I use bottled water that I always carry as the water to clean the windshield.
I never use the water at the gas station pumps.
I also use the bottled water to rinse the micro fiber towel and put in a baggie.
When I get a chance I wash it out at a gas station sink with hand soap or at home.

Doug
F4Customs and Big_Bird like this.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Let me clarify. I use rainx on my f4 with no negative effects on the shield.

Why do I use it? Rain dissipates much better with it then without it.

Also, I used a towel and water to clean it for about 2 years and 50K miles (with no damage) until I read on this forum from F4 that their cleaner was the best thing to use and rubbing alcohol and paper towels is the second best thing to use. The rubbing alcohol works much better then then water and towel. I recently won three bottles of their cleaner and it works better then rubbing alcohol. (their cleaner has the consistency and smell of a really thin wax with some kind of solvent)
F4Customs likes this.

Last edited by StacyTrotter; 01-12-2017 at 08:56 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a F 4 screen on my Wing. I fitted it in late in 2011.

Apart of a couple of small gouged up scratched spots from stone strikes its still on the bike and I don't have any plans to replace it anytime soon.
We get quite a bit of rain all year round here in New Zealand, so I end up riding in the rain quite a bit from time to time.

I have cleaned it with the windscreen wash and brush found a petrol stations, Isopropyl Alcohol or rubbing alcohol I think you guys call it. Lemon Pledge and that RainX.
I have found by far the best result is after applying the RainX and I apply the Rain X when I expect some rain on the trip.

I did initially apply it to a small portion and observed no clouding or signs that it was detrimental to the plastics. I also apply it to the visor of my helmet. I do not use the paper towels but opt for a clean microfiber polishing cloth - the same type I use to polish the bike.
F4Customs likes this.

2009 GL1800 8A / Triumph Scrambler 900

Last edited by Kiwi; 01-13-2017 at 02:01 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
"I read on the F4 site (I think) they don't recommend microfiber on their windshields. They said microfiber carried small particles of dirt that could scratch the windshield. A clean paper towel is better."

I am not answering this in an argumentative way.
This is just my opinion based on my experience.

I hope F4 replies to this.
It makes no sense to me that you should not use a microfiber cloth when they show in their video actually using steel wool.
I do don't believe that a paper towel would be considered a better choice than micro fiber cloth.
I have been doing this on all my windshields for the past 10+ years with no issues.
By the way I use bottled water that I always carry as the water to clean the windshield.
I never use the water at the gas station pumps.
I also use the bottled water to rinse the micro fiber towel and put in a baggie.
When I get a chance I wash it out at a gas station sink with hand soap or at home.

Doug
Doug and fellow site readers, this is Don at F4 Customs.
Doug with the great procedure you outline above for cleaning I am sure you would never have an issue.
We recommend paper towels only because if steel wool won't scratch it paper doesn't have a chance. Secondly paper towels are clean all the time. We have found that folks get so used to not scratching our shield that they pick up a microfiber clean the bike, wheels and all, and then clean the shield. If you pick up some sand (silicon carbide) particles in the rag is could result in a slight mark so why take the chance. For all of you that are meticulous about cleaning and only use the microfiber on the shield, there would be no issue.
Hope this clarifies for all. Ride Safe and thanks for being customers of F4 Customs!
Don Frank

F4 Customs, LLC
"The Motorcycle Windshield Guys"
330-968-4644
sales@f4customs.com
www.f4customs.com
http://www.facebook.com/F4CustomsWindshields

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low pricing is forgotten."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page