post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

CB is a must!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Install is easy enough. Cost is not insignificant.

I say wait to get one until you find a group that you ride with that uses CB and you feel you are missing out on something. If you don't wind up there, then you weren't missing out on anything and saved some bucks.

Sure, there are stories of great road intel gleaned from chatting with the truckers. The needle is not worth listening to the haystack of crap I hear on Ch 19.

I have one and rarely use it. Bluetooth is coming along nicely. The group that I used to ride with that used them regularly went the way of the dinosaur and didn't say much worth listening to even before the extinction. On top of all that, I'm fairly anti-social.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Just got one at Christmas from Wingstuff with the Honda antenna $684.98 so if you watch they put them on sale from time to time. I could not find one cheaper at that time.

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

2014 Audio comfort

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

If I'm riding alone I never turn on my CB, I find it annoying.
That said I love riding with other guys with CBs and the CB is of great value in groups.
Well worth the cost if you want to ride with others with CBs.
Road Runner likes this.

2002 GL1800 w/ 70,000+ miles
Full Race Tech suspension, Avon Cobra tires
Windbender windscreen w/rake & electric option
OEM CB, BikeMP3, Mic Mutes
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Member

If you like communicating with other riders, use a CB. If you don't like communicating with other riders, then don't get a CB.

My 1500 and my 1800 both came with CBs. My second Goldwing, the 1800 wouldn't have become mine without it having a CB.

CB & ABS & Heated Seat = my new 1800. I didn't pay a nickel more for my bike because it had a CB, but it was a priority for me to buy one with a CB.
Road Runner likes this.

Motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2006 Honda 600cc Silverwing Scooter
2007 Kawasaki 900cc Custom Lt
2011 Honda 125cc PCX Scooter

GL1800Riders removes the time and distance between like minded individuals.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
If you do, or plan on riding with other touring type folks (Goldwing's & Harley's for example) then a CB makes a lot of sense. Harley calls their CB a "Bike-to-Bike Communication System" and that's a pretty accurate description of CB Radios on motorcycles. Because motorcycles have very poor ground planes, the broadcast range for a CB Radio on a motorcycle is fairly limited (frankly it sucks, but there is little that can be done about it). I useally figure on about a mile, two miles if I'm lucky. That's with my SWR adusted to about 1.2:1 which is really quite good. You can certainly listen to all the Trucker Chatter, but unless they're really really close, they'll not be able to hear you. The cost for a Honda CB Radio for our Goldwings is, totally, completely and without any doubt unbelievably rediculous. But, then again, if you're going to do any riding with others, and particularly so if you go on any organized rides . . . it is well worth it.

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Like others, I always have a CB on my Wings. Great when riding with others who have them. Good when riding on the Interstates for information even if riding alone. As some have said, there are times when it's not used, but the times that it is makes it a worth while investment even though their price is rediculous.

'08 with '12 MT Adventure kit and '10 with '12 MT Adventure kit. 1,000,000 miles August, 2015
DISCLAIMER: All post are my personal opinion and are in no way intended to reflect on or change the opinions of others.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Dinosaur technology. I have one, never use it, POS.

prs
Overland1, Farmguy and WVMANDINGO like this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Member

I had a Hondaline CB on my previous (2004) GL, and did not get one for the current (2012) GL. I almost never used it during the almost ten years of owning it and found it to be annoying at times. The range is inherently short and the audio quality of AM in that application is worse.

FRS/GMRS would likely do better for most folks; for those of us with Amateur Radio licenses, something for VHF/UHF-FM on the bike would be great. As that is currently a limited market, I doubt such will become a reality any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis"

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

I have a CB on my '05 that I purchased last summer ... my first Wing … but I'm not sure what the easiest way is to hear/use it. I have the Sena 20S system and really don't want to spend money now on the Freewire, so I don't mind using a wired setup for the CB, however, how would I be able to talk on the CB and not just listen?
Could use some advice on this.

'05 Goldwing; '03 VTX 1300; '11 Harley Ultra Classic - Sold

John 3:16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page