Does anyone still use a CB? - GL1800Riders
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Does anyone still use a CB?

Relatively new Wing owner. I bought a 2012 about four months ago and really enjoy riding it. I was wondering if many Wing owners have and use a cb on their bike. I have a Sena 20s from my previous bike, but didn't use the intercom often, as I normally ride solo. With devices such as the 20s and cellphones, I was wondering if many wing owners use their cb's anymore. I am debating installing a Honda cb on the bike, as I plan on doing a lot of long distance riding. From what I have read, it looks like an easy install. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:08 PM

I never installed a CB on my 2013 wing. Not sure if I missing anything by it not being there. I have been told it is fairly easy to install. I guess it boils down to whatever you want. I prefer music. I have fun with your wing. You will enjoy it.
Overland1 likes this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Plenty of us use the CB especially if you do group riding. They come in handy needless to say. I installed a CB unit on a 07 three years ago not hard at all. Should be much more work on a newer Wing.. So if you plan on doing most of your riding solo, not sure it's worth the $900 to $1100 in cost...

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwatc
I have a CB on my trike and never turn it off. I ride in a group quite a bit and have been all over the country on a bike once and over half of it on this trike and have found that hardly anybody talks on a CB like they used to not even the truckers. Unless in a group I hardly ever hear anything but I still tend to monitor 19 when on a solo trip of any length. Not much help but it should give you an idea if you want to put out the money or not.

GWRRA #307515
'74 CB 360
'78 400 Hawk
'86 700 Magna
'07 VTX 1300R
'09 Silver ABS
'13 Silver Hannigan

'09 Escapade
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Unless you ride with groups or friends that also have them, I think they would be of limited use. I have never installed one on my 09 or any bike for that matter and have never missed it. I do have a Starcom unit installed on my VTX which allows me to use FRS/GMRS radios but quickly found out that most people that I ride with do not have them. With the limited amount of people in the group I ride with Bluetooth has worked best for me.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I lead motorcycle rides and I HAVE to have a CB. In fact I was ride leader on a ride to Dateland today and we had 18 bikes in attendance. Since most of the bikes were cruisers there were only 2 bikes that had CBs. One in the front of the group and one at the end. 290 miles and everyone got to where they needed to go with no incidents.
If I was riding by myself I would still have a CB on my wing, but that's just me. But in the right situation and the right circumstances, they are worth their weight in gold.

Semper Fi
2001 Goldwing
2013 Ninja 300
1996 Pacific Coast
1994 Honda Magna
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I have always had a CB on each of my 6 Wings that I have owned. When riding I never turn it off. Would not be without one. I ride in a group and lead group rides quite a bit and communication with the group is very important to me.

Have been to all Continental United States including a group ride thru Canada up to Alaska 10 + years ago. We communicated rest stops, road directions as well as conditions on the Alaska Highway.

Everyone has their opinion on CB use... I consider it very valuable the way I ride.

Jim - Retired and Riding 17 years now...

Darkside rider 1002
Florida Prowler 5
Florida Geezer rider
R&R #1

Want a D/S number ? Go to:
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Seasoned Member

CBs

My 01 has the Honda CB. It's range is limited and it has a slight pause after you key the mike to talk.

The only time I have ever used it was to ride sweep on a group ride. Last year I took a 4,400 mile ride. Turned on the CB (ch. 19) for a couple of hundred miles on the interstate.
NEVER HEARD A PEEP OUT OF ANYONE.

I would save your money for sometime else. Heated seats, grips, etc.... I use those a lot.

Since you say you mostly ride solo, a CB is probably not worth the money.

Rayjoe
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Growing up (if I ever did) in the 50s an 60s and coming of age in the 70s (Smoky and the Bandit era) you just had to have a CB radio in your ride to be cool! So, you got yourself a cool 'handle' and set about learning all the really cool trucker lingo necessary to properly communicate on the road. Fast forward 40 years. There may be better technology today but I still love my CB (BikeMP3) that I installed in my 2014 GL1800. My really cool riding buddies all have them and range is better than most of the newer alternatives. But best of all is the gianormous CB antenna mounted to the left side of my trunk! Not only does it look really cool, it provides the necessary counterbalance to the AM/FM antenna on the starboard side. I'm sure that without my CB my motorcycle would fall over on it's right side a lot!

Oh, did I mention that CBs are really cool?
larryinseattle likes this.

Dr. Paul
2014 GL1800A
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Installed one on my 2012 no install issues-ex peasy.
I have got got info on incidents from truckers on the roadways-smokey bear reports-accidents-road construction and occasional bikers yapping to give a shout out and get road info from their route.
It's a personal thing on purchase.
The only reason I pulled the trigger on the purchase was Wingstuff had prices for them lowest I have seen in some time holiday season.
Enjoy that Wing! As a side note the Sena Freewire also played a part in the deal as you can now use it for cb connection wireless.
Be Safe out there cagers don't see us!
larryinseattle likes this.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time

2012 GL1800 Audio Comfort Pearl White

1985 Yamaha Venture Royal Burgandy

1982 HD FLH Black two tone w/Battle Ship Grey w/Red Pinstripes

1977 HD Low Rider 1200 Black w/Battle Ship Gray two tone and Red pin Stripes

1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo Blue

1973 Honda Mini Trail Automatic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page