Who uses Premium gas even when not needed? - Page 12 - GL1800Riders
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Who Cares??..If you like your premium, keep your premium. If you like your regular, keep your regular. No explanation on either side required. Much bigger problems to solve.

What is better synthetic oil or dino oil and when should I change it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:05 PM
ARH
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
What are you afraid will happen if you used fuel (E10) that Honda built the bike to use ?
Alcohol tends to attract water over time is what I've heard. Not sure it it is an issue but I don't take a chance. Our marina sells no ethanol only. I also figure if the gas degrades over winter the premium may offer better performance n spring, maybe??

My Stihl rep said even though their saws are made for E10, it is best to use no ethanol, especially if the saw is left to sit for a while.

So I'm always a better safe than sorry guy. I don't have a scientific answer, just makes me feel better.
Walrus and 2WheelNut like this.

08 GL1800 Titanium, The Cleanest Color.
12 750 Shadow Aero (My scooter)
post #113 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARH View Post
Alcohol tends to attract water over time is what I've heard. Not sure it it is an issue but I don't take a chance. Our marina sells no ethanol only. I also figure if the gas degrades over winter the premium may offer better performance n spring, maybe??

My Stihl rep said even though their saws are made for E10, it is best to use no ethanol, especially if the saw is left to sit for a while.

So I'm always a better safe than sorry guy. I don't have a scientific answer, just makes me feel better.
Good advice. I have no issue with E10 unless I'm going to be storing the bike for 3 months or more and then pure gas is much better.

Luckily...I live in Tx and can pretty much ride year round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #114 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
For all the ethanol bashing (well deserved), I haven't seen anyone mention ValvTect fuel treatment. It's marketed towards marine uses as an ethanol buster but also has Sta-Bil and Techron like features.

Boot turned me on to it last year when I was whining about my mileage going south. I've used it intermittently, seems to make things better.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #115 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Racer , We was doing real good and then you started asking the tough questions. Premium.
Racer57 likes this.
post #116 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Well.... Yeah! Sure it's an opinion. That should go without saying.

The beauty of the format of forums is that every subject is its own thread. It is very easy to avoid topics that don't interest you. The title to this thread was very descriptive of it contents.

I couldn't care less about which chrome farkles are the best. It's like getting caught in a conversation among women talking about handbags and shoes. So I avoid them. But I'm glad they are there for those that ARE interested.

The notion that a thread shouldn't be discussed just because it has no value to you, and then to intentionally sidetrack it is selfish. Sorry to be so blunt.

This thread has gone far enough off course that Rail will probably close it now. So you will ultimately get your wish.
I tagged in @Ironhorse1800 to decide what's best on this on now . I been busy helping fellow riders out with issues , questions , and advice to stay on top of this "it's winter thread "
Thanks Ironhorse1800 , I got the next one

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #117 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
HEY! You shut up! My oil is better than your oil!
Oh yeah?
Well my "premium" blinker fluid is brighter than yours!

biggersm and Derick like this.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #118 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Well , the thread has deteriorated , but hey , it's still family friendly and the subject matter is Premium quality.
post #119 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
For all the ethanol bashing (well deserved), I haven't seen anyone mention ValvTect fuel treatment. It's marketed towards marine uses as an ethanol buster but also has Sta-Bil and Techron like features.

Boot turned me on to it last year when I was whining about my mileage going south. I've used it intermittently, seems to make things better.
So wait a minute. Your fuel mileage went south and you stared using a product that advertises that it cleans carbon out of combustion chambers and fuel systems. So I guess (sorry Larry) that was your fault and not your cheap 87 octane low detergent fuel. Rail , don't get excited. Me and Bird go way back. He won't take this the wrong way. LMAO
post #120 of 163 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Now that we have full disclosure this thread can proceed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page