Dunlop Elite 4 in the rain - never again - Page 15 - GL1800Riders
 217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Question does the benifit of longer lasting tires out weigh the risk. Any risk no matter how small in addition to the challenges we face as bikers?????
Rapidray and JW. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 PM
CAC
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
OK so CAC tell me again how that GW trunk says to run 42 rear and 36 front. You guys need to get your facts straight. You're all dead sure about something and I don't believe that Honda is gonna tell you to run a tire higher than max pressure. I say everybody just ignore what Fred says and as they are scraping you out of the ditch Fred can say "I told you so". I didn't see Fred tell you that you can't run E4s. It was just FYI. Its like I said in a earlier post , some of you guys can get by running any kind of tire. You're ultra cautious and don't hit the corners hard. And hey , that's OK. Ride your own ride. No truer words were ever spoken. Fred's experience with the tire is interesting to some of us. Those if you that continue to run it , only time will tell. You have to do what you feel is right for you.
OOPs, I lied it says 36f and 41r sorry, below are the pictures of the tag in the trunk of my 08 and my 16 reads the same. And I am very confused with your post that seems to be directed to me.... you do know that I am on board with Fred right? I am also practicing a lot and getting braver in the turns every day. I am trying to not be so cautious. thanks.

Last edited by CAC; 01-30-2017 at 09:11 PM.
post #143 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm not trying to be confrontational. Its just nice to get the facts straight. Its important that we don't give a newb the wrong information. Counseling someone to run more than max air in a tire can cause problems. No buddy I didn't mean to single you out.

post #144 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 PM
CAC
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
I'm not trying to be confrontational. Its just nice to get the facts straight. Its important that we don't give a newb the wrong information. Counseling someone to run more than max air in a tire can cause problems. No buddy I didn't mean to single you out.

OK so CAC tell me again how that GW trunk says to run 42 rear and 36 front. You guys need to get your facts straight. You're all dead sure about something and I don't believe that Honda is gonna tell you to run a tire higher than max pressure.

So when you say "OK so CAC" you didn't mean to single me out? My trunk says what it says, So I did what you asked and told you again, LOL! I also never told anyone what pressures to run, I only stated what I run and why I run them. I only posted in this thread a few times, and all of them are on the last couple pages. They should be real easy to find, so go back and read them again. In the future, when you demand someone gets their facts straight, be **** sure you have your facts straight. I'm not upset, just a little confused on the thought processes of some that's all.

Elrod likes this.
post #145 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Seasoned Member

You obviously can't be gracious enough to accept an apology. And I wasn't wrong about the 42 lbs on the trunk. So how far do you want this to go. Until Rail shuts it down? We can move on if you want. I'm OK with that. If not then keep it up. It won't last long. I say we were both wrong. Don't take it personal. Its an informational discussion.
post #146 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
Lol...are you passionately agreeing with me here?

Not sure what you thought I meant but I'd never run an E3 or E4. I tried an E3 and hated it. I don't hate dunlop. They make some great tires for my GSXR for the track...but the E3s were not good for me at all.
Sorry 2WheelNut, that was actually directed to flat6bagger. Hit the quote button and started typing , passionately . Got the wrong quote there is what I did . I have always looked forward to your posts and your stable of bikes is about exactly what I would have if I had the means . No, all that was written to some who are engaged in this thread but who are trying to debunk what some very experienced riders are trying to warn the masses about . To all, l have been on several rides that CAC attended and was a bit dismayed about how adamant he was FOR the Dunlops. So I'm not a bit surprised about how he changed his mind when to his surprise for at least one moment the tire did not feel safe . Quite a few of us have felt that . Others will also if they continue running them I believe . I'm just trying to save lives .

Darkside #69

Ironbutt #8045

A lot of my money has gone towards riding curvy roads with friends. The rest I just wasted.
post #147 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

"Sorry 2WheelNut, that was actually directed to flat6bagger."
"trying to debunk what some very experienced riders are trying to warn the masses about ."

Ray,
I am not trying to debunk anything Fred or any other experienced rider is saying about what they experienced.
Why don't you go back and read the posts as you suggested I do.
You will see that I am questioning why other riders of other make motorcycles and some of us are not having the same issue.
Period.
Run what you want and I will run what I want.
I am glad Fred posted this.
It is something for all of us that have E4s to think about when we are in the rain and situations described.
I don't want anyone hurt or killed either.
As I said in one of my posts..if I experience the same situation,I will have the tires off and calling Dunlop.
Now I am done with this thread and will not respond to anything else.

Doug
2WheelNut likes this.

Last edited by flat6bagger; 01-31-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #148 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidray View Post
Sorry 2WheelNut, that was actually directed to flat6bagger. Hit the quote button and started typing , passionately .
I thought that had happened. No harm... a bit of passion is good in the winter. Gotta have something to keep us appeased until spring, right?

BTW.....passion aside....I don't think either @flat6bagger or you are really much at odds here when you boil it all down. You're saying that a couple of respected riders have had problems with the Dunlops like we all have for years and it's not surprising to you. Flat6bagger is saying that Dunlop is a pretty big brand selling a lot of E3 and E4 tires and if they were that bad, he'd expect that people on other forums would be complaining too and he's surprised he doesn't see that trend and wondering why.

I personally can't reconcile the two points of view but that doesn't mean either is wrong, just that we don't know enough information to understand why they are different.

Moving back to what I do know. I know that I had some E3's on my Wing and they were not confidence inspiring in the wet and they started cupping on me pretty quickly too so I didn't find a lot of redeeming qualities in that particular tire. After the E3's, I wasn't too interested in trying the E4 and now that Fred and Clair say they didn't like them, it kind of confirms what I thought all along and I'm pretty sure they'll never be on my bike.

Speaking of trying new tires, I was one of the first to try the Metz 888's and I didn't like them much either. They weren't too bad in the wet, in fact the rear 888 almost gripped as well as a CT, but I didn't like the front feel much at all. I had Fred swap it out after about 2000 miles and put me a Stone 709 back on. I told Fred he could have the 888 and I think he eventually put it on and used it (but I don't know this). For whatever reason, he really likes the 888's and I don't.

All that to say that I think we'd all agree that tire choice is VERY subjective and has a lot to do with the way people ride probably 10 other factors as well. In terms of riding style, I tend to carry a lot of corner speed on corner entry and really rely on my front tire more than my rear. Others brake more for the corner and then power out more where they might demand more from the rear. Point being that someone that rides differently than me may end up with very different conclusions about a set of tires as they demand different things from them and neither of us would be wrong.

Stay passionate my friends
Rapidray, Elrod, Monk and 3 others like this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #149 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
"I run 36 front and 41 rear"

CAC

It is recommended by Dunlop to run 41 front and 42 rear.
Here is from their page.

FRONT 130/70R18 63H BSW 40RF-01
25.48 4.91 6/32 600 LBS @ 41

ELITE 4 RADIAL REAR 180/60R16 80H BSW 40RR-02
24.43 6.99 10/32 992 LBS @ 42

Could this be a contributing factor?

Doug
Where does Dunlop publish this info as recommended for the GL1800?

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #150 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I can't avoid riding in the rain.

The best rain tires I ever had are the Michellin PR4 on a Beemer.

I keep asking and get ignored:
Please, tell me which are the tires recommended/sanctified by mother Honda for the GL?
...besides the Dunflops and Stones.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page