Wing Longevity - GL1800Riders
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Tom Finch
Wing Longevity

It has been a bit since I posted, mostly because of computer and email issues but I am glad to be back.

My 2010 Blue Goldwing has just had an ADG failure at 150,000 miles. Fortunately it is still under extended warranty. My Red 04 had the same thing at about 130,000 miles. In both cases the dealer did not want to work on it, primarily because Honda has the flat rate set way too low for this repair, requiring engine removal and paying a bit over 9 man hours. The alternators themselves also failed on both bikes at near the same miles. I had the 04 alternator replace under warranty so did not know what the failure was. The 2010 alternator prelude to failure was the same, fluctuating voltages as displayed on the 376C GPS window that I selected to display. This fluctuating would not be so obvious on a voltmeter that was damped, but the user selected windows on the Garmin unit apparently are scans of the whole spectrum of available data probably about once a second or so. That results in a snapshot of the data that is displayed briefly. The snapshot was catching the voltage as it swung up and down from about 13.2 to 15.5 volts.

I decided to repair the 2010 alternator even though it is under warranty because I hate taking the bike to the dealer and since it is 45 miles away and I live alone, a real pain to leave. I replaced the voltage regulator in the alternator and it returned to solid 14.1 volts. So it was the regulator and probably was on the 2004 as well since the symptoms were identical. (A note about removing the front bearing. A special puller required unless you are willing to destroy the bearing in which case you can use a split plate type puller clamped onto the bearing groove of the inner race. Be sure to note where the bearing is on the shaft and put the new one exactly there because that locates the slip rings relative to the brushes.)

That leads me to the reason for this post. For this who ride lots of miles, what has been your experience on longevity of the alternator, and of the alternator drive gear (ADG)? I know they changed it in 2006 by speeding up the alternator from 28 teeth to 27 teeth and by changing the damper.

Secondly, what has been your experience in having a dealer perform Major warranty work relative to scheduling and or reluctance to do this? Thank you much!
speckfisher likes this.

Last edited by Tom Finch; 02-10-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Ridin-Wrenchin Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Finch View Post
It has been a bit since I posted, mostly because of computer and email issues but I am glad to be back.

My 2010 Blue Goldwing has just had an ADG failure at 150,000 miles. Fortunately it is still under extended warranty. My Red 04 had the same thing at about 130,000 miles. In both cases the dealer did not want to work on it, primarily because Honda has the flat rate set way too low for this repair, requiring engine removal and paying a bit over 9 man hours. The alternators themselves also failed on both bikes at near the same miles. I had the 04 alternator replace under warranty so did not know what the failure was. The 2010 alternator prelude to failure was the same, fluctuating voltages as displayed on the 376C GPS window that I selected to display. This fluctuating would not be so obvious on a voltmeter that was damped, but the user selected windows on the Garmin unit apparently are scans of the whole spectrum of available data probably about once a second or so. That results in a snapshot of the data that is displayed briefly. The snapshot was catching the voltage as it swung up and down from about 13.2 to 15.5 volts.

I decided to repair the 2010 alternator even though it is under warranty because I hate taking the bike to the dealer and since it is 45 miles away and I live alone, a real pain to leave. I replaced the voltage regulator in the alternator and it returned to solid 14.1 volts. So it was the regulator and probably was on the 2004 as well since the symptoms were identical. (A note about removing the front bearing. A special puller required unless you are willing to destroy the bearing in which case you can use a split plate type puller clamped onto the bearing groove of the inner race. Be sure to note where the bearing is on the shaft and put the new one exactly there because that locates the slip rings relative to the brushes.)

That leads me to the reason for this post. For this who ride lots of miles, what has been your experience on longevity of the alternator, and of the alternator drive gear (ADG)? I know they changed it in 2006 by speeding up the alternator from 28 teeth to 27 teeth and by changing the damper.

Secondly, what has been your experience in having a dealer perform Major warranty work relative to scheduling and or reluctance to do this? Thank you much!
05 ADG puked at 55,000 miles
08 ADG puked at 123,000 miles and alternator died at 147,000 miles .
I use all my RPMS , just sayin .
I am becoming a firm believer the high RPM guys will have more troubles with this items than the sedate riders .
05 tranny jumping out of 5th also at 55,000 miles. That was all my fault as I did not show any mercy to my first big girl shifting .
Dave.David969 likes this.

Livin life to its fullest daily to prevent regrets later,,, or I am a freaking loon . Either way I am good .
Where's Rail now??http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ahHnkalxai42Hi
= no eating or drinking warning . Whenever this is seen on one of my posts ,please put down the food and drink as to prevent choking hazard while trying to laugh with mouth full. Nothing worse than coffee out ones nose landing on keyboard . Nothing !
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Wing Longevity

I have always been a sedate rider. i have ridden 1,226,000 miles of which 760,000 have been on 6 cylinder Wings and 1,023,000 have been pulling trailers. I believe the ADG wears fastest below 2,000 RPM. If you have seen a Wing ADG disassembled and go to You Tube and watched the Prius drive descriptions, you will see a drive damper that is well built. The 1500s had a rubber spider coupling and my 93 SE Wing has 308,000 miles with no service on either the alternator or ADG and it still works well.

Honda has very good engineering and I am surprised that this lame ADG has not been redesigned so it will last as long as the engine. I have never heard of a 1500 or 1800 engine that was worn out.

My 04 and 240,000 miles is quiet and not problems after changing the final drive and ADG.

The 2010 has a loud whine in fifth gear which is helical and should be quiet. Never had any jumping out of gear but have not had an 06 mode either.

Never ride without my trailer attached. The Tailwinds don't load up the bike cruise drive train because of very low drag, but they do increase brake wear since the add weight and no drag.

Thanks for response.
speckfisher likes this.

Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
'10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Last edited by Tom Finch; 02-10-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: First was a duplicate. second was error on mileage

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

The regulator on my alt. pooped out on my 02 at 85k and the final drive at 92k. Probably one third of the present 97k has been pulling a Bunkhouse. So far , no other problems. No oil consumption, no strange noises, just keeps ticking along.

Al

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

you make a good point about the dealer not wanting to do warantee work because Honda does not pay enough. what's the sense of having extended warantee if is cannot be used at a dealership? Honda needs to pay attention to this as do we Honda's response.

John

2014 Blue Honda CTX 1300DLX - Tall windshield, Heated Grips, traction control, ABS

Gone but not forgotten; '07 blue gl1800, Level 3, reg risers, utopia backrest, honda fog lights, Mic-o-Pegs, traxxion fork springs, fork brace, rear shock and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP . Darksider #1211

Prowler #2
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I have an '01 with 175k. Original alt, no ADG failure, no problems with trans.

01 yellow

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Prowler #109
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

2006 had 165k miles when sold and no ADG or alternator issues. I have no experience with major work done by the dealer. The water pump went out at 158k but by then it was out of warranty. I had my independent shop do it.
speckfisher likes this.

Jim

2016 Level 3 9K Miles
2005 Yamaha FJR 51K Miles

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

I do not understand how a Honda Dealership can refuse to take on a repair job based on some speculation that Honda has underestimated the labor time.

Ain't that cause for calling the Mother Honda herself and complain about the dealership in question?

Pics of where this Alternator Drive Gear is and what it looks like would be greatly appreciated by those of us mechanical morons to learn us some stuff about the Wing.

"and the day came when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

Anais
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Member

My 02 has 475,000 miles and never any ADG issue, the alternator has been replaced twice under warranty and once more after warranty ran out, I have been hauling around a spare alternator ever since the warranty ran out. I never had any trouble getting a dealer to do warranty work.
Fluke189 likes this.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 465,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
My 02 has 475,000 miles and never any ADG issue, the alternator has been replaced twice under warranty and once more after warranty ran out, I have been hauling around a spare alternator ever since the warranty ran out. I never had any trouble getting a dealer to do warranty work.
Glad you have had so little problems. The dealer is working on my bike now but put me off 30 days before allowing me in. They are good guys but get to charge what they need to on non warranty work. My ADG went out the day after my daughter died at Christmas and I just got the bike in last week. So I went 6 weeks without riding the bike and its warranty is up in November so I lost 6 weeks of warranty coverage with it just sitting in my carport.

The prior dealership which was bought out by the current dealer, refused to work on my 04 saying they did not get paid for fishing, alluding to the fact that my Wing was still running but the ADG was rattling like marbles in a can. I had to take it to one of the other dealerships in the area and they repaired in under the extended warranty.

I am amazed that the ADG has not failed at 475,000 miles. I also carry a spare alternator. I also just bought a Honda new alternator rotor assembly. Good to hear from you. Been a while since we corresponded.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page