GL1800Riders Forums banner

Billings MT

2K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  PapaT 
#1 ·
I will be travelling through Billings on my way to Bear Tooth then up to Alaska then back to the east coast early July. Total mileage 9500

Current tires will have about 8K - 9K miles. I haven't decided whether to get new tires before the trip or not. Billings is about a 1/4 way into the trip and good stop for quick maintenance. Will be looking to have oil change and possibly new tires.

Any reputable / recommended Honda Shops? Montana Honda & Marine any good? I see negative reviews but people rarely post positive reviews unless it was exceptional service.

Thoughts?

Thanks

#7 ·
I vote new tires.

Just a caution if you don't know already, Alaska is murder on tires and your wallet. In Alaska is not uncommon to pay $500 or so for a tire at a shop.

If it was me. I'd run Double Dark, BT-45 up front, and Driveguard RF in the rear and not worry about it for the rest of the trip. Check Darkside forum for more info if interested.

Have a great trip!!

#9 ·
When I was the Service Manager at Montana Honda & Marine I would of made sure you would have a good experience at a fair price. Now I do not know anymore after 4 yrs not there. If Andy still works there I know he is a good Technician. They are now closed on Mondays so keep that in mind for timing your visit. The best thing is to start the trip on fresh skins. If it was me I would have the BS Drivegaurd on the back and a new Battle Axe or E3 at least up front and not have to worry. Just my 3 cents.

Reactions: revrunt
#11 ·
Sounds like no matter where you normally buy your tires you choose to have a dealer mount them for you, I see nothing wrong with buying the tires somewhere along your route but I highly recomend getting the tires lined up well before you get there otherwise you might get there and find out they don't happen to have what you need in stock, another good dealer along your route would be Rice Honda Suzuki the Honda dealer in rapid city South Dakota , I've been there a few times and they seem to run a very nice dealership.
http://m.ricehondasuzuki.com

#12 ·
Either start your trip with fresh tires or call ahead to Billings or Rice Honda as Cycledude noted.
I used Billings last year and they took care of me, but I had an appointment. My riding buddy needed new fork seals and did not call ahead and was told they were booked, come back in a week...

Tires are available in Alaska and the Yukon but they might not be your brand and will $$$

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure I was in Great Falls, MT the last time anyone in my group needed tires on the road. We started out with new ones in Rochester, NY, but he got a rather nasty puncture on the road. Called the dealer there. They had one and installed it right away. Out delay was only a couple hours.

#14 · (Edited)
Get a spare rim. In that way, you won't be having to mount up a used tire. Then put on new ones and save your old tire for when you get home, then run that used tire out.

If you put a car tire on your bike, you will get 15,000+ out of the tire. Many more by some people's accounts.

Personally, I would never start out on a trip with a tire change planned in the middle unless it was more than 15,000 miles. When I am on a trip, I don't want to be sitting at a service center waiting for my tire to be mounted. What if they had to order one in? What if they didn't have the type / style of tire you really wanted and you ended up with a Stinko tire on your bike and you are looking to get it switched out again after 4500 miles.

Reactions: revrunt
#15 ·
start out on NEW !!

I had very good intentions to replace my tires halfway on a trip all around the West a couple years ago. Was shooting for somewhere in Montana for the tires. After having a rear flat on a very long back road and with no cell service on a Saturday late afternoon. It ended up with an expensive tow bill into Kalispell and two days sitting in a motel waiting for a motorcycle shop to open up on Tuesday. Then waiting again 48 hours for them to order tires "at full retail price" !
Very expensive lesson learned..........
Start out your trip on NEW TIRES !!

#17 ·
I'm posting for a friend who lives in PA and he said he might going to Alaska also and maybe you two can hook up together can you please send me you phone number and he will call you. He lives about 35 minutes from you.
Thanks Bill

#19 ·
Thanks for all the good advice and sharing experiences. I will get a new set prior to heading out and I been using Amsoil Oil since first oil change so I will change oil before heading out as well and not worry about it till I get back.

Thanks again !!

Reactions: Walrus
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.